Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

AmSnag moved to a more permanent home

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 PaulM

PaulM

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,111 posts
  • Interests:Bicycling, computer programming, website development, concert band, train travel

Posted 28 November 2010 - 05:31 PM

Snag it here

Edited by PaulM, 29 November 2010 - 08:56 PM.

#2 dlagrua

dlagrua

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,777 posts
  • Interests:Car collecting, Train Travel, Model RR, Visiting Historical sights, Cooking, Antiques, but above all love for friends and family.

Posted 28 November 2010 - 08:15 PM

Thanks for sharing an excellent resource with the forum. I have used it and it seems to work fine but in some cases a very low bucket bedroom price pops up corresponding to a coach fare that is high bucket. Try it on a trip from CLP to NOL in June 2011 and see what I mean. I'm not sure how to interpret it.

#3 saxman

saxman

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,344 posts
  • Interests:Trains, planes, maps, and music

Posted 28 November 2010 - 08:24 PM

Thanks for sharing an excellent resource with the forum. I have used it and it seems to work fine but in some cases a very low bucket bedroom price pops up corresponding to a coach fare that is high bucket. Try it on a trip from CLP to NOL in June 2011 and see what I mean. I'm not sure how to interpret it.

Whenever you get a sleeper, your coach fair always reverts back to low bucket. So don't always look at the coach fare for the same day that you might get your sleeper. Simply look elsewhere on a different date you'll find the lowest bucket for the coach fare. Then add that to your sleeper charge.

It looks like the lowest bucket for coach between CLP and NOL is $130. So if you plan on taking a sleeper add $130 to whatever the sleeper fare is for that day.
Amtrak Miles: 203,395 (as of 9/21/16)

#4 PaulM

PaulM

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,111 posts
  • Interests:Bicycling, computer programming, website development, concert band, train travel

Posted 28 November 2010 - 10:51 PM

I'm thought you might be looking at a date when the coach fare shows up as not in the low bucket; but when you added a sleeper on Amtrak.com, it dropped to low the bucket of 130 as Saxman mentioned.

But when I tried CLP to NOL from June 1 to Jun 30, coach was 130 every day. So unless you are entering a discount, the rail fare portion shouldn't drop below that. I compared it with Amtrak.com on 5 random days in June; and 130 was correct.

#5 Tracktwentynine

Tracktwentynine

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 588 posts

Posted 29 November 2010 - 01:18 PM

Awesome! Thanks for posting this.

Amtrak: 35,600 miles, 24 routes, 44 states, 2 provinces. First trip 5/2005. Miles in 2014: 10,154.

"My heart is warm with friends I make, And better friends I'll not be knowing; Yet there isn't a train I wouldn't take, No matter where it's going."
--Edna St. Vincent Millay, "Travel"

Follow me: Twitter | Flickr | Tumblr | Blogspot | Greater Greater Washington

#6 Hanno

Hanno

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 586 posts

Posted 29 November 2010 - 01:36 PM

This is a great resource. I've used it several times and have shared it with others. I would have thought Amtrak would have developed such a tool long ago but, thanks to PaulM, I'm happy to have it now.

#7 Dovecote

Dovecote

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 831 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 07:54 PM

Snag it here

As others have stated, this is a great program. I have been on the AmSnag site for the past week or so watching for available dates on the Auto Train (AT) with roomette availability. I have a AGR reservation on the AT for 1/12 and have been trying to change the reservation to an earlier date. The AmSnag site hit paydirt just a few minutes ago when it revealed that a roomette was available for 1/5. I quickly called AGR and was lucky enough to snag that roomette. Thanks again, Paul.
Amtrak Trains Traveled - Acela Express, Auto Train, Capitol Limited, City of New Orleans, Coast Starlight, Crescent, Empire Builder, Kansas City Mule, Lake Shore Limited, Maple Leaf, Northeast Regional, Pacific Surfliner, San Joaquin, Silver Meteor, Silver Star, Southwest Chief, Sunset Limited, and Vermonter.

#8 Train2104

Train2104

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 868 posts

Posted 22 January 2011 - 09:14 PM

How about adding business/first class? Also, amsnag.com is available if you want to register it.

#9 Alice

Alice

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 920 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 03:44 PM

Amsnag made TrainWeb; Congratulations, Paul! Article also gives good description of how buckets work.

#10 Dovecote

Dovecote

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 831 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 05:32 PM

Amsnag made TrainWeb; Congratulations, Paul! Article also gives good description of how buckets work.

Kudos to you Paul. Your program paid dividends to me again today. I have a AGR two zone bedroom reservation for this Sunday, 2/27 from ABQ>ATL. On the WAS>ATL portion of the trip the bedrooms were sold out and was provided a roomette instead. I have been watching the Amsnag website multiple times each day in hopes that it shows a bedroom is available. Sure enough the website indicated a bedroom was available earlier today. Appropriately, I "snagged" by calling AGR and changing the roomette to a bedroom on my reservation. Thanks again Paul.
Amtrak Trains Traveled - Acela Express, Auto Train, Capitol Limited, City of New Orleans, Coast Starlight, Crescent, Empire Builder, Kansas City Mule, Lake Shore Limited, Maple Leaf, Northeast Regional, Pacific Surfliner, San Joaquin, Silver Meteor, Silver Star, Southwest Chief, Sunset Limited, and Vermonter.

#11 PaulM

PaulM

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,111 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 09:11 PM

How about adding business/first class? Also, amsnag.com is available if you want to register it.

I didn't bother with business class because as far as I know, it doesn't change day to day. With respect to first class, you must be referring to the Acela Express. Being from fly-over country, I forgot all about it. To me first class is what sleeping car accommodations used to be called. When I get some time, I'll see what I can do about both.

As far as the domain name is concerned, I already have one called biketrain.net. It sort of shows where my priorities lie.

#12 AlanB

AlanB

Engineer

• Honored Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 29,357 posts

Posted 05 March 2011 - 12:15 AM

First class prices on Acela are fixed. It doesn't change as the train fills up.
Alan,

Take care and take trains!

#13 Train2104

Train2104

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 868 posts

Posted 05 March 2011 - 07:06 PM

What about Business?

#14 PaulM

PaulM

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,111 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 05:04 PM

How about adding business/first class?

Done

Note that Acela Business Class is in the coach column; and the 1st Class supplement is in the BC/FC column. Non Acella Business class supplement is in BC/FC column (NA if no business class offered).

After testing a lot of trains on a lot of days, I came to that conclusion.

What about Business?

It varies train to train.

#15 Train2104

Train2104

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 868 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 10:17 PM

Just tested NYP-BOS, 05/15/11, 5 days. Those entries mentioned above don't show up.

#16 PaulM

PaulM

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,111 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 05:48 PM

You can now click through to Amtrak's reservation page. Once Ansnag results appear, click on the date you want to travel; and Amtrak's "Select Departing Train" page will open in a separate window. You will still have to "Add to Cart", etc.

Of course, I can't guarantee someone else won't have already snagged it. :angry:

#17 PaulM

PaulM

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,111 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 07:35 PM

I just noticed the URL in post #1 is long obsolete.  Currently, it is

amsnag.net

or a slightly different version that lets you filter the results at

http://biketrain.net/amsnag/amSnag.php

#18 PupfosterG

PupfosterG

Train Attendant

• Training
  • Pip
  • 42 posts

Posted 18 February 2015 - 10:04 PM

Just a couple of questions. I am currently watch my fare in Fare Watch. Unfoturnatly, I have missed a drop, as it happened pretty early in the morning.

According to Fare Watch the price change/update happens at 12:41am.
Is that eastern time? Fare Watch has sent me an email, but the time stamp is 05:41am (my time zone central time). So a 5 hour delay in notification? What's the best way to secure a price drop? Would it be ideal to be awake at 12:42am and manually check price? Suggestions?

#19 Blackwolf

Blackwolf

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,388 posts
  • Interests:Public Safety, passenger rail, travel, hunting, fishing

Posted 03 March 2015 - 06:06 PM

Getting a "no insert" error when trying to serch for fares.  Tried to download the desktop version, which seems to not like Windows 8. :(

Amtrak
Capitol Corridor (too many times to count!); Coast Starlight (x21); California Zephyr (x7); Empire Builder (x2); Lake Shore Limited (x4); Maple Leaf (x1); Adirondack (x2); Cascades (x1); Pacific Surfliner (x6); San Joaquin (x8); Capitol Limited (x1); Cardinal (x2); Acela (x1)
VIA Rail
Ocean (x4); Windsor Corridor (x2); The Canadian (x1)

#20 tomfuller

tomfuller

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 755 posts
  • Interests:Trains, geocaching, travel.

Posted 01 July 2016 - 12:36 PM

Tried amsnag dot net this morning and didn't get the site. Has it moved?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users