Dallas to Los Angeles

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just curious if anyone has taken the new Texas Eagle route yet?

The wife and I will be doing it next year and were curious if there was anything to know or mention about the trip?

We did Dallas to Chicago last Christmas and had a great time.

It's not a "new" route. It's the exact same one thru SAS!
rolleyes.gif

There's a New Eagle route? Have I been asleep, or hanging out with Jay hadley too much, must of missed that??? :lol: If you're refering to the Daily Eagle/Sunset that MAY happen in Long Train Runnings lifetime (he's a teenager) but probably not ours if U$$P has anything to do with it! :angry2:

I'm no expert by any means on "all things Amtrak" but I think they are offering a "new" route where The Texas Eagle runs to Los Angeles "semi-non stop" 7-9 hour layover in San Antonio to refuel, restock, and do a track changeover. This route takes 40 something hours and no one has to change trains.

It's not a "new" route. It's the exact same one thru SAS!
rolleyes.gif

I agree. no "new" route... The Sunset usually picks up in San Antonio and runs passengers to Los Angeles. I think it just started a month or so ago; the Texas Eagle will go all the way to Los Angeles ?once a week?

The Texas Eagle runs three times a week from Chicago to Los Angeles and has ever since I can remember. It does have the 7-9 hour layover in San Antonio where it joins the Sunset Limited, but if you book it through as the Texas Eagle, you don't have to change trains now. I took the TE from Bloomington, IL to Los Angeles in August and didn't have to get off the train, though I did to wander around a bit.

The Texas Eagle runs three times a week from Chicago to Los Angeles and has ever since I can remember. It does have the 7-9 hour layover in San Antonio where it joins the Sunset Limited, but if you book it through as the Texas Eagle, you don't have to change trains now. I took the TE from Bloomington, IL to Los Angeles in August and didn't have to get off the train, though I did to wander around a bit.

Well I learned something new! I thought that this "straight through on the TE" was a new thing? I guess not..lol

Anything of notoriety that you enjoyed on the trip? Any "must- sees" I am a little alarmed about going through Cuidad Juarez ..... and riding the Texas border

Last edited by a moderator:
You could drive to Albuquerque, NM and catch the Southwest Chief. It leaves Albuquerque (westbound) at around 4:30 or 5 PM every day. Arrives the next morning in LA. Daily train - and very nice. Good scenery until it gets dark near Flagstaff - depending on your date of travel this spring/summer.

Well I learned something new! I thought that this "straight through on the TE" was a new thing? I guess not..lol

Anything of notoriety that you enjoyed on the trip? Any "must- sees" I am a little alarmed about going through Cuidad Juarez ..... and riding the Texas border
West of Del Rio, TX you'll cross Lake Amistad on the Pecos River. This is the highest railroad bridge I believe in North America. Don't worry about Cuidad Juarez. You can see it from the train as the train travels very close to the border when leaving El Paso. Its quite fascinating though.

There's a New Eagle route? Have I been asleep, or hanging out with Jay hadley too much, must of missed that??? :lol: If you're refering to the Daily Eagle/Sunset that MAY happen in Long Train Runnings lifetime (he's a teenager) but probably not ours if U$$P has anything to do with it! :angry2:
:lol: :lol: Not to mention I've been having bake sales to try and raise the 700 million UP wants so I can ride a daily eagle. :lol: Uncle Hadley told me it was my best bet. I'm about 346 bake sales away from making my first million. :lol:

Seriously though I am looking forward to traveling the entire route of the Texas Eagle this summer even if it only runs 3 days a week.

:lol: :lol: Not to mention I've been having bake sales to try and raise the 700 million UP wants so I can ride a daily eagle. :lol: Uncle Hadley told me it was my best bet. I'm about 346 bake sales away from making my first million. :lol:

Seriously though I am looking forward to traveling the entire route of the Texas Eagle this summer even if it only runs 3 days a week.
$700 million? I can't begin to fathom that amount. Also, if my math has not failed me :giggle: you've done pretty well on bake sales. So keep baking those brownies! :D

Last edited by a moderator:
:lol: Uncle Hadley told me it was my best bet. I'm about 346 bake sales away from making my first million. :lol:
Also, if my math has not failed me :giggle: you've done pretty well on bake sales. So keep baking those brownies! :D
What do you bake in those brownies, Stephen?
huh.gif
wacko.gif
Only LTR knows the "secret" recipe.... :lol:
Maybe that's why he chose Niagara University - so he can go "shopping" in Canada for "ingredients"!
mosking.gif

:lol: Uncle Hadley told me it was my best bet. I'm about 346 bake sales away from making my first million. :lol:
Also, if my math has not failed me :giggle: you've done pretty well on bake sales. So keep baking those brownies! :D
What do you bake in those brownies, Stephen?
huh.gif
wacko.gif
Only LTR knows the "secret" recipe.... :lol:
Maybe that's why he chose Niagara University - so he can go "shopping" in Canada for "ingredients"!
mosking.gif
Hahahaha my oh my I can't get away with anything! All I am trying to do is help grow passenger rail service in this country. So if you see me outside of any inter-collegiate sporting events be sure to stop by :lol:

Then there's the annual talk about TE "absorbing" the Sunset. Sunset going daily New Orleans to San Antonio, coach only, and the TE going daily Chicago to Los Angeles. That would make 2 daily trains going to the same destination, using almost the same routes.

Maybe they could race ????

Then there's the annual talk about TE "absorbing" the Sunset. Sunset going daily New Orleans to San Antonio, coach only, and the TE going daily Chicago to Los Angeles. That would make 2 daily trains going to the same destination, using almost the same routes.

Maybe they could race ????
Only to SAS. From there the TE goes north to AUS and FTW, while the SL goes to east to HOS and NOL. They do not go anywhere near each other! And there will be only 1 train west of SAS!

I am excited about the trip!!! As far as Cuidad Juerez..I watch too much national news... HaHa

P.S.. I like brownies..lol

I am excited about the trip!!! As far as Cuidad Juerez..I watch too much national news... HaHa

P.S.. I like brownies..lol

At one point, a few miles west of El Paso, the TE/SL passes within 30 feet or so of the border as it passes right by the village of Puerto de Anapra, Chihuahua, Mexico. There is a high fence on the border; the conductor on our TE trip in August told us that the fence was there in part to prevent locals from throwing rocks at train windows. On rare occasions, a rock has shattered Amtrak windows.

I have a question for someone who has taken the Texas Eagle "straight" to Los Angeles, how long is the "switchover" in San Antonio and how long did the train go without power?

I have a question for someone who has taken the Texas Eagle "straight" to Los Angeles, how long is the "switchover" in San Antonio and how long did the train go without power?
The Eagle (if on time, which it mostly is) arrives into SAS around 930-955PM. Train #421, which consists of a Coach and Sleepiong Car, is cut out, placed on the track next to the station to spend the night. It is hooked to ground power (dont know the technical term??)so you have lights/heat/bathrooms etc. The Sunset Ltd., #1, arrives between 2 and 3:00AM (it's early most of the time!), the cut out coach and sleepr are then switched on to #1, the train leaves at 5:40AM for LAX. I just rode this train in Coach in the opposite direction (#2/#422) so it's an easy layover. You can even get off the train and go to Denny's, River walk etc. which are a few blocks away! ;)

Extending what Jim Hudson has said, you will be without power for a few miniutes, maybe as long as 10 to 20 minutes while the cars are being detached from the Texas Eagle and again for more or less the same amount of time while they are attached to the Sunset.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back