Dallas to Los Angeles

33 replies to this topic

#1 flamastr

flamastr

Train Attendant

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 13 November 2010 - 03:38 PM

Just curious if anyone has taken the new Texas Eagle route yet?

The wife and I will be doing it next year and were curious if there was anything to know or mention about the trip?

We did Dallas to Chicago last Christmas and had a great time.

#2 the_traveler

the_traveler

Engineer

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,614 posts
  • Interests:Planning my next trip

Posted 13 November 2010 - 04:33 PM

It's not a "new" route. It's the exact same one thru SAS!Posted Image
Take it easy .......

Take the train instead!

#3 Guest_jimhudson_*

Guest_jimhudson_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 November 2010 - 04:34 PM

There's a New Eagle route? Have I been asleep, or hanging out with Jay hadley too much, must of missed that??? :lol: If you're refering to the Daily Eagle/Sunset that MAY happen in Long Train Runnings lifetime (he's a teenager) but probably not ours if U$$P has anything to do with it! :angry2:

#4 flamastr

flamastr

Train Attendant

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 14 November 2010 - 11:32 AM

I'm no expert by any means on "all things Amtrak" but I think they are offering a "new" route where The Texas Eagle runs to Los Angeles "semi-non stop" 7-9 hour layover in San Antonio to refuel, restock, and do a track changeover. This route takes 40 something hours and no one has to change trains.

#5 flamastr

flamastr

Train Attendant

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 14 November 2010 - 11:44 AM

It's not a "new" route. It's the exact same one thru SAS!Posted Image

I agree. no "new" route... The Sunset usually picks up in San Antonio and runs passengers to Los Angeles. I think it just started a month or so ago; the Texas Eagle will go all the way to Los Angeles ?once a week?

#6 JayPea

JayPea

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,771 posts
  • Location:Colfax, WA (CFX)---Hey, it's only an Amtrak Thruway bus stop, but at least my town in mentioned on Amtrak's website and in their timetable!
  • Interests:Trains, photography, photography of trains, travel, travel by train, reading, reading about trains............

Posted 14 November 2010 - 12:07 PM

The Texas Eagle runs three times a week from Chicago to Los Angeles and has ever since I can remember. It does have the 7-9 hour layover in San Antonio where it joins the Sunset Limited, but if you book it through as the Texas Eagle, you don't have to change trains now. I took the TE from Bloomington, IL to Los Angeles in August and didn't have to get off the train, though I did to wander around a bit.

Amtrak Routes Traveled: City of New Orleans, State House/Lincoln Service, Empire Builder, California Zephyr, Southwest Chief, Cascades, Crescent, Capitol Limited, Coast Starlight, Texas Eagle/Sunset Limited, Silver Meteor, Lake Shore Limited
Pre-Amtrak Routes Traveled: Empire Builder (Great Northern), North Coast Limited (Northern Pacific), Abraham Lincoln (Gulf, Mobile, and Ohio), City of Hinkle (Union Pacific)
Bustitutions: Portland-Spokane (EB)
Amtrak Miles: 52,566

Pre-Amtrak Miles: 8,482
Bustitution Miles: 362

Excursion trains ridden: Chehalis and Centralia Railroad, Mt. Hood Scenic Railroad, and trains at the
Illinois Railway Museum, Monticello (IL)Railroad Museum, and the California Railway Museum.

#7 flamastr

flamastr

Train Attendant

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 15 November 2010 - 10:50 AM

The Texas Eagle runs three times a week from Chicago to Los Angeles and has ever since I can remember. It does have the 7-9 hour layover in San Antonio where it joins the Sunset Limited, but if you book it through as the Texas Eagle, you don't have to change trains now. I took the TE from Bloomington, IL to Los Angeles in August and didn't have to get off the train, though I did to wander around a bit.

Well I learned something new! I thought that this "straight through on the TE" was a new thing? I guess not..lol

Anything of notoriety that you enjoyed on the trip? Any "must- sees" I am a little alarmed about going through Cuidad Juarez ..... and riding the Texas border

Edited by flamastr, 15 November 2010 - 10:51 AM.

#8 the_traveler

the_traveler

Engineer

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,614 posts

Posted 15 November 2010 - 11:05 AM

I am a little alarmed about going through Cuidad Juarez ..... and riding the Texas border

You do not go thru Cuidad Juarez at all! But you do go within 30 feet of the border. Just like the Sunset Limited and all the prior trains have for the past 100 years or so!

Why be worried?Posted Image
Take it easy .......

Take the train instead!

#9 abcnews

abcnews

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 667 posts

Posted 15 November 2010 - 01:05 PM

You could drive to Albuquerque, NM and catch the Southwest Chief. It leaves Albuquerque (westbound) at around 4:30 or 5 PM every day. Arrives the next morning in LA. Daily train - and very nice. Good scenery until it gets dark near Flagstaff - depending on your date of travel this spring/summer.
www.miketopham.com

blog: miketophamblog.com

#10 saxman

saxman

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,173 posts
  • Interests:Trains, planes, maps, and music

Posted 15 November 2010 - 01:07 PM

Well I learned something new! I thought that this "straight through on the TE" was a new thing? I guess not..lol

Anything of notoriety that you enjoyed on the trip? Any "must- sees" I am a little alarmed about going through Cuidad Juarez ..... and riding the Texas border

West of Del Rio, TX you'll cross Lake Amistad on the Pecos River. This is the highest railroad bridge I believe in North America. Don't worry about Cuidad Juarez. You can see it from the train as the train travels very close to the border when leaving El Paso. Its quite fascinating though.

Amtrak Miles: 174,788

#11 Long Train Runnin'

Long Train Runnin'

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,054 posts

Posted 15 November 2010 - 01:20 PM

There's a New Eagle route? Have I been asleep, or hanging out with Jay hadley too much, must of missed that??? :lol: If you're refering to the Daily Eagle/Sunset that MAY happen in Long Train Runnings lifetime (he's a teenager) but probably not ours if U$$P has anything to do with it! :angry2:

:lol: :lol: Not to mention I've been having bake sales to try and raise the 700 million UP wants so I can ride a daily eagle. :lol: Uncle Hadley told me it was my best bet. I'm about 346 bake sales away from making my first million. :lol:

Seriously though I am looking forward to traveling the entire route of the Texas Eagle this summer even if it only runs 3 days a week.
34,707 Miles on Amtrak in 38 states. 
Routes Traveled: Acela Express, Adirondack, Amtrak Cascades, California Zephyr, Capitol Limited, Cardinal, Carolinian, City of New Orleans, Coast Starlight, Crescent, Downeaster, Empire Service, Ethan Allen Express, Hiawatha, Keystone Corridor, Lake Shore Limited, Northeast Regional, Maple Leaf, Missouri River Runner, Pacific Surfliner, Pennsylvanian, Southwest Chief, Springfield Shuttles, Texas Eagle, Vermonter.

#12 Pastor Dave

Pastor Dave

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 403 posts
  • Interests:Grandchildren, trains, sports, music

Posted 15 November 2010 - 02:29 PM

:lol: :lol: Not to mention I've been having bake sales to try and raise the 700 million UP wants so I can ride a daily eagle. :lol: Uncle Hadley told me it was my best bet. I'm about 346 bake sales away from making my first million. :lol:

Seriously though I am looking forward to traveling the entire route of the Texas Eagle this summer even if it only runs 3 days a week.

$700 million? I can't begin to fathom that amount. Also, if my math has not failed me :giggle: you've done pretty well on bake sales. So keep baking those brownies! :D

Edited by Pastor Dave, 15 November 2010 - 02:30 PM.

Routes I've traveled. Lake Shore Limited (aced NY section); Capitol Limited (aced); Silver Star; Silver Meteor; Crescent; Carolinian; AutoTrain (aced - but that's not hard to do); NEC; Cardinal; Adirondack; Empire Service; Three Rivers; Pennsylvanian; Sunset Limited (ORL - NOL).

#13 the_traveler

the_traveler

Engineer

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,614 posts

Posted 15 November 2010 - 03:38 PM

:lol: Uncle Hadley told me it was my best bet. I'm about 346 bake sales away from making my first million. :lol:

Also, if my math has not failed me :giggle: you've done pretty well on bake sales. So keep baking those brownies! :D

What do you bake in those brownies, Stephen?Posted ImagePosted Image
Take it easy .......

Take the train instead!

#14 Pastor Dave

Pastor Dave

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 403 posts
  • Interests:Grandchildren, trains, sports, music

Posted 15 November 2010 - 03:43 PM

:lol: Uncle Hadley told me it was my best bet. I'm about 346 bake sales away from making my first million. :lol:

Also, if my math has not failed me :giggle: you've done pretty well on bake sales. So keep baking those brownies! :D

Only LTR knows the "secret" recipe.... :lol:
Routes I've traveled. Lake Shore Limited (aced NY section); Capitol Limited (aced); Silver Star; Silver Meteor; Crescent; Carolinian; AutoTrain (aced - but that's not hard to do); NEC; Cardinal; Adirondack; Empire Service; Three Rivers; Pennsylvanian; Sunset Limited (ORL - NOL).

#15 the_traveler

the_traveler

Engineer

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,614 posts

Posted 15 November 2010 - 03:59 PM

Maybe that's why he chose Niagara University - so he can go "shopping" in Canada for "ingredients"!Posted Image
Take it easy .......

Take the train instead!

#16 Rail Freak

Rail Freak

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,000 posts
  • Interests:Experiencing the country by RAIL!!!
    U.S. & Native American History

Posted 15 November 2010 - 05:01 PM

HAVE FUN

A Rookie No More! But Still A Lot Of Track To Travel !!!
Silver Meteor #97(5) & #98 (4), Silver Star #91 (2), Capitol Limited #29 & #30(4), Empire Builder #7,#8,#27(2) &#28(4) Coast Starlight #11 (6) & #14(5), California Zephyr #5 (2) & #6 (5), Cascades #506, City of New Orleans #58 (1) #59 (2), South West Chief #3 (3), Lake Shore Limited #49, Maple Leaf #63 San Joaquin #714, Pacific Surfliner #774, Texas Eagle #422, Cardinal #50, Crescent #19, Sunset Limited #1. Approx. 55,730 miles & 41 states!

HAVE FUN

#17 Long Train Runnin'

Long Train Runnin'

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,054 posts

Posted 15 November 2010 - 07:03 PM

Maybe that's why he chose Niagara University - so he can go "shopping" in Canada for "ingredients"!Posted Image

Hahahaha my oh my I can't get away with anything! All I am trying to do is help grow passenger rail service in this country. So if you see me outside of any inter-collegiate sporting events be sure to stop by :lol:
34,707 Miles on Amtrak in 38 states. 
Routes Traveled: Acela Express, Adirondack, Amtrak Cascades, California Zephyr, Capitol Limited, Cardinal, Carolinian, City of New Orleans, Coast Starlight, Crescent, Downeaster, Empire Service, Ethan Allen Express, Hiawatha, Keystone Corridor, Lake Shore Limited, Northeast Regional, Maple Leaf, Missouri River Runner, Pacific Surfliner, Pennsylvanian, Southwest Chief, Springfield Shuttles, Texas Eagle, Vermonter.

#18 ourlouisiana

ourlouisiana

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts
  • Interests:Grandkids, Photography, Trains not necessarily in that order.

Posted 15 November 2010 - 09:02 PM

Then there's the annual talk about TE "absorbing" the Sunset. Sunset going daily New Orleans to San Antonio, coach only, and the TE going daily Chicago to Los Angeles. That would make 2 daily trains going to the same destination, using almost the same routes.

Maybe they could race ????
Donna n Paul Scott, La. BNSFmp149.1 Lafayette Subdivision
Operation Lifesaver Louisiana

#19 the_traveler

the_traveler

Engineer

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,614 posts

Posted 16 November 2010 - 01:13 AM

Then there's the annual talk about TE "absorbing" the Sunset. Sunset going daily New Orleans to San Antonio, coach only, and the TE going daily Chicago to Los Angeles. That would make 2 daily trains going to the same destination, using almost the same routes.

Maybe they could race ????

Only to SAS. From there the TE goes north to AUS and FTW, while the SL goes to east to HOS and NOL. They do not go anywhere near each other! And there will be only 1 train west of SAS!
Take it easy .......

Take the train instead!

#20 flamastr

flamastr

Train Attendant

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 16 November 2010 - 02:04 PM

HAVE FUN

Great pictures!!!

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic