Eating in Sleeper Compartment

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

MattN

Can you get you're sleeping car attendant to do this? If so what do you ask?

Often times when I travel it is to get away and enjoy some solitude. I've never had a problem having the LSA bring me my meal.

Yes. Please bring a menu I want to order in.
Definitely, but plan on voluntarily tipping extra at meal time or the end of the trip. The SCAs provide me great room service, and I tip in kind. It is well worth it.

I try not to order room service breakfast, because the SCAs are running hard just to make up rooms in the morning. When you give the SCA a desired meal time, keep major station stops in mind, where they have to service detraining and boarding passengers.

You can do this and its helps if you are handicapped, but we find one of the best parts of the trip is having dinner in the dining car and getting to meet and converse with other travlers. You get to appreciate their perspective on LD train travel and at times you can pick up some good info and pointers. There is also more room in the dining car and you are served, dine and walk away after dinner leaving the bus boy to clean up. The you can return to an undisturbed room. As for tip we usually leave about $3-$4 for breakfast and $8-$9 for dinner.

You can do this and its helps if you are handicapped, but we find one of the best parts of the trip is having dinner in the dining car and getting to meet and converse with other travlers. You get to appreciate their perspective on LD train travel and at times you can pick up some good info and pointers. There is also more room in the dining car and you are served, dine and walk away after dinner leaving the bus boy to clean up. The you can return to an undisturbed room. As for tip we usually leave about $3-$4 for breakfast and $8-$9 for dinner.
so do you call the SCA in to clean up?

Often times when I travel it is to get away and enjoy some solitude. I've never had a problem having the LSA bring me my meal.
Ditto. Solitude is golden sometimes. Community seating in the diner is nice if you want to make new friends and be social. There are other times you just want to relax and unwind, and have dinner in sweats and a T-shirt in your room.

so do you call the SCA in to clean up?
yes.

I think it depends on the attendant. On the Zephyr I had a great attendant who was very nice about bringing me dinner in my compartment. On the Empire Builder my attendant seemed pretty harried and when I asked for dinner in my compartment he rather frantically asked if I was going to have all of my meals there. It's possible he was just very busy, so I didn't hold it against him. :)

Curiously, I traveled on the Orient Express this summer and opted to eat in my compartment there as well. They served such a large, wonderful lunch, followed by tea later in the afternoon, that I wasn't very hungry. I was served by three (!!) people: my car attendant, a waiter, and the maitre'd. they were soooo friendly and solicitous. It was kind of amazing. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back