#1 Everydaymatters

Everydaymatters

Engineer

• Committee Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,462 posts
  • Interests:Travel, antiques, reading, pinochle, grandkids

Posted 13 October 2010 - 06:10 AM

Bill Haithcoat is a wonderful historian about train travel. In Kansas City, he pointed out to me the many gates to the trains from the good old days of train trave. It amazed me that there were so many of them. Did anyone get pictures of those gates?

Jay, how was your $43 room? Did anyone beat his rock bottom rate of just $43 a night?
Routes Traveled: Desert Wind, Southwest Chief, Missouri Mule, Empire Builder, Capitol Ltd., Lincoln Service, Lake Shore Ltd., Missouri River Runner, City of New Orleans, Cardinal, Silver Meteor, Texas Eagle, Cascades, Broadway Ltd., Acela, Downeaster, Sunset Ltd., Coast Starlight, California Zephyr, Hiawatha   64,611 Amtrak miles

#2 chertling

chertling

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 259 posts

Posted 13 October 2010 - 07:28 AM

Bill Haithcoat is a wonderful historian about train travel. In Kansas City, he pointed out to me the many gates to the trains from the good old days of train trave. It amazed me that there were so many of them. Did anyone get pictures of those gates?

Jay, how was your $43 room? Did anyone beat his rock bottom rate of just $43 a night?

I did! :) It helps that my uncle lives 6 blocks from the Kirkwood station. Hard to beat Free ;)

Seriously though, $43 would be VERY hard to beat.

I didn't have a chance to get any pictures at KC Union Station... but I will grab a few shots of the gates the next time I get down there and will share them with the group.

Home Station(s):  HFY - 28 Miles  / MSS - 29 Miles / WAS - 40 Miles

Amtrak Trains traveled: Ann Rutledge (KCY-STL), Pere Marquette, SW Chief (LRC-CHI), State House, Missouri Mules, Lincoln Service, Capitol Limited, Northeast Regional (WAS-BOS), Missouri River Runner, Cardinal (WAS-CHI), Texas Eagle (STL-BNL), Pacific Surfliner (LAX-ANA), Silver Star (JAX-WAS)

Amtrak Sleepers used: 32073 - California, 32001 - Arches, 62011 - Gulf View
Other Trains traveled: Eurotunnel Shuttle, South Shore Line, NJ Transit NEC, Metra-North Central, Metra-UP Northwest, Monongahela Incline, Midland Railway (KS), MARC-Penn Line, Metrolink Orange County Line, Caltrain
Subways/Light Rail/Airport Transit Trains: Toronto, Detroit, Washington, Chicago, St. Louis, London, Paris, Boston, US Capitol Subway, Philadelphia, New York, Pittsburgh, Cleveland, LA Subway, San Jose, BART, Baltimore, PATH, MCO, ATL, DTW, EWR, DEN, SFO, IAD, MSP

#3 had8ley

had8ley

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,111 posts
  • Interests:"There's nothin' nicer than "dinner In the diner." After 30 plus years of pulling cabooses and pax trains around it's time for someone else to pull me around...

Posted 13 October 2010 - 09:13 AM

The room was huge and comfortable for the very few hours I spent there. The maid made the bed the second night and forgot to empty the trash,leave any towels or anymore coffee but that's OK with me. It was the free mugging I almost got at the bottom of the station ramp next to the light rail station that bothered me (you had to walk down the ramp in order to cross over to the hotel). Been to a lot of places and this was a first!I would recommend the place as a three star but you might want to rent an armored Hummer to carry you from the station to the hotel. :unsure:

Just got off the phone with the Sheraton's GM's secretary...her response to my laundry list? Soooo...what do you want me to do about it ???

#4 Devil's Advocate

Devil's Advocate

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,047 posts

Posted 13 October 2010 - 09:57 AM

Forty-three dollars sounds like a great price, but I guess in their mind that rate comes with the understanding you won't be taken seriously if you complain about anything that happens in the process of staying there. Don't forget to post your experiences on TripAdvisor.com so other folks will at least be aware of your difficulties. But the part I really want to know is what exactly is an "almost mugging?" Does it mean the threat of violence had kinder wording or that they gave your stuff back?

Any views expressed are my own and do not represent the views of my employer, parent companies, partners, or subsidiaries.

Over 50,000 people just like you recently signed a petition to expand high speed passenger rail in the United States of America.

Long live The Coast Starlight, The California Zephyr, The Empire Builder, The Southwest Chief, and The Canadian.

#5 had8ley

had8ley

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,111 posts
  • Interests:"There's nothin' nicer than "dinner In the diner." After 30 plus years of pulling cabooses and pax trains around it's time for someone else to pull me around...

Posted 13 October 2010 - 11:15 AM

Forty-three dollars sounds like a great price, but I guess in their mind that rate comes with the understanding you won't be taken seriously if you complain about anything that happens in the process of staying there. Don't forget to post your experiences on TripAdvisor.com so other folks will at least be aware of your difficulties. But the part I really want to know is what exactly is an "almost mugging?" Does it mean the threat of violence had kinder wording or that they gave your stuff back?

When I checked into the Sheraton and got to my room I discovered my RR radio was missing. I ran over to the station and # 21 had already departed. The ticket agent cell phoned the LSA to look in our(nephew and me)room and send it back on # 22. I was walking down the ramp towards the light rail and six sinister looking thugs about 15 or 16 formed a wall in front of me. I immediately put my right hand on my wallet and pushed two aside and bee-lined it to the hotel. I guess you can call that "close" as I'm positive if it had been an 85 year old lady she would be minus her pocket book.The best part came last~ when I pressed the elevator button the door opened and there sat my $1200 radio on the floor of the elevator.

#6 RRrich

RRrich

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,550 posts

Posted 13 October 2010 - 11:41 AM

When I checked into the Sheraton and got to my room I discovered my RR radio was missing. I ran over to the station and # 21 had already departed. The ticket agent cell phoned the LSA to look in our(nephew and me)room and send it back on # 22. I was walking down the ramp towards the light rail and six sinister looking thugs about 15 or 16 formed a wall in front of me. I immediately put my right hand on my wallet and pushed two aside and bee-lined it to the hotel. I guess you can call that "close" as I'm positive if it had been an 85 year old lady she would be minus her pocket book.The best part came last~ when I pressed the elevator button the door opened and there sat my $1200 radio on the floor of the elevator.

well Jay I am sorry that you met some of our St Louis Pre-Felons but it turned out OK.

How did you get the $43 rate - which service did you use?

Time flies like an Arrow
Fruit Flies like a Banana

#7 Railroad Bill

Railroad Bill

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,697 posts
  • Interests:Golf, Historical and Genealogical research, Travel, Model Railroading. Lions Club & Anything Dealing With Trains

Posted 13 October 2010 - 11:55 AM

Great meeting you Jay. Sorry you had a shakey experience outside the station. :(

Back here in the hinterlands, we have so many guys carrying concealed weapons on their belts that those dudes probably would have seen some lead heading their way :lol:

Claudia and I were accosted by a guy in Chicago who started yelling "RACIST" at me because I wouldnt give him 80 cents for a "phone call". :angry:
I told him I voted for Obama but he didnt care!! :lol:
Between the panhandlers and the gangbangers on the streets, it is sometimes nice to get back to the countryside again. :P

Amtrak Trains Ridden So Far:
Lake Shore Ltd, Capitol Ltd, Pennsylvanian, NE Corridors, Crescent, City of New Orleans, Empire Builder, California Zephyr, Hoosier, SW Chief, Surfliners, California Capitol Corridors, Coast Starlight, Cascades. Texas Eagle, San Joaquins, Missouri River Runner,Cardinal, Downeaster, Silver Meteor, Keystones, Auto Train, Adirondack, Lincoln Service, Illinois Zephyr, Carl Sandburg, Texas Eagle Detour Rt, Autumn Excursion Tour PHL, Silver Star,  -- 61,860  Amtrak miles & counting

#8 Long Train Runnin'

Long Train Runnin'

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,022 posts

Posted 13 October 2010 - 03:15 PM

I took this photo of the gates. It housed the Kansas City Rail Experience.

Posted Image
34,707 Miles on Amtrak in 38 states. 
Routes Traveled: Acela Express, Adirondack, Amtrak Cascades, California Zephyr, Capitol Limited, Cardinal, Carolinian, City of New Orleans, Coast Starlight, Crescent, Downeaster, Empire Service, Ethan Allen Express, Hiawatha, Keystone Corridor, Lake Shore Limited, Northeast Regional, Maple Leaf, Missouri River Runner, Pacific Surfliner, Pennsylvanian, Southwest Chief, Springfield Shuttles, Texas Eagle, Vermonter.

#9 jis

jis

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,337 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Planes and Travel

Posted 13 October 2010 - 03:29 PM

I took this photo of the gates. It housed the Kansas City Rail Experience.

Interestingly there was absolutely nothing connected with the Santa Fe Railroad in the exhibits in there! OTOH there was a Great Northern observation car from the Empire Builder which of course probably never saw Kansas City in its entire operating life, before being dragged into the collection :)

#10 had8ley

had8ley

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,111 posts

Posted 13 October 2010 - 04:12 PM

well Jay I am sorry that you met some of our St Louis Pre-Felons but it turned out OK.

How did you get the $43 rate - which service did you use?

Priceline~ and I actually requested a four star property. Quite an odd price for a four star but it was done back in February.I've had similar success at a LaGuardia airport Hampton for less than $50.

#11 had8ley

had8ley

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,111 posts

Posted 13 October 2010 - 04:38 PM

Great meeting you Jay. Sorry you had a shakey experience outside the station. :(

Back here in the hinterlands, we have so many guys carrying concealed weapons on their belts that those dudes probably would have seen some lead heading their way :lol:

Claudia and I were accosted by a guy in Chicago who started yelling "RACIST" at me because I wouldnt give him 80 cents for a "phone call". :angry:
I told him I voted for Obama but he didnt care!! :lol:
Between the panhandlers and the gangbangers on the streets, it is sometimes nice to get back to the countryside again. :P

Bill; I say this with complete sincerity. It was a pleasure meeting you and every other AU'er and guests that attended. I just wish we could all take a month off and ride behind any train we felt like. I'll add it to my bucket of 10 most important things to do! :rolleyes:

BTW, next time I'll bring my pet alligator. We named him "Hungry" because he stays that way :lol:

#12 Long Train Runnin'

Long Train Runnin'

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,022 posts

Posted 14 October 2010 - 10:39 AM

BTW, next time I'll bring my pet alligator. We named him "Hungry" because he stays that way :lol:

I can just see you with a 12 foot alligator on a leash telling the conductor its just a service animal :o :lol: :lol: :lol:
34,707 Miles on Amtrak in 38 states. 
Routes Traveled: Acela Express, Adirondack, Amtrak Cascades, California Zephyr, Capitol Limited, Cardinal, Carolinian, City of New Orleans, Coast Starlight, Crescent, Downeaster, Empire Service, Ethan Allen Express, Hiawatha, Keystone Corridor, Lake Shore Limited, Northeast Regional, Maple Leaf, Missouri River Runner, Pacific Surfliner, Pennsylvanian, Southwest Chief, Springfield Shuttles, Texas Eagle, Vermonter.

#13 GG-1

GG-1

Engineer

• Forum Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,366 posts
  • Interests:PRR GG1 and riding the rails to "see the USA in your Chev".....Train

Posted 14 October 2010 - 10:58 AM

I can just see you with a 12 foot alligator on a leash telling the conductor its just a service animal :o :lol: :lol: :lol:

Aloha

Well I did not think of a 12 foot Alligator, but I did picture had8ly wearing it as a belt. :cool: :cool: :blush: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Eric aka GG-1, Aloha, Mahalo = Thanks

Picture Galleries Posted Image

#14 AlanB

AlanB

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,829 posts

Posted 14 October 2010 - 12:05 PM

Well if Jay's going to start bringing his pet alligator to the Gathering's, cross Michigan off the list of cities where we can hold the Gathering. We don't want Jay getting a ticket while he's on a Gathering and in Michigan it's against the law to tie an aligator to a fire hydrant. :o
Alan,

Take care and take trains!

#15 jis

jis

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,337 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Planes and Travel

Posted 14 October 2010 - 12:19 PM

Well if Jay's going to start bringing his pet alligator to the Gathering's, cross Michigan off the list of cities where we can hold the Gathering. We don't want Jay getting a ticket while he's on a Gathering and in Michigan it's against the law to tie an aligator to a fire hydrant. :o

But would it be OK to tie a fire hydrant to an alligator? :P

#16 AlanB

AlanB

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,829 posts

Posted 14 October 2010 - 12:54 PM

You got me. :unsure:

I'm still trying to figure out why anyone would even have a pet aligator in Michigan, much less be so inclined as to want to tie it to a fire hydrant. I can't imagine that this was ever a huge problem in any state, much less Michigan, hence I have no idea why such a law exists. :rolleyes:
Alan,

Take care and take trains!

#17 GG-1

GG-1

Engineer

• Forum Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,366 posts
  • Interests:PRR GG1 and riding the rails to "see the USA in your Chev".....Train

Posted 14 October 2010 - 01:02 PM

You got me. :unsure:

I'm still trying to figure out why anyone would even have a pet aligator in Michigan, much less be so inclined as to want to tie it to a fire hydrant. I can't imagine that this was ever a huge problem in any state, much less Michigan, hence I have no idea why such a law exists. :rolleyes:

But Alan you live in the city that has the most strange laws. It is still against the law to wear "stave's" (old form of girdle) on a street where there are horses. :rolleyes:

Aloha

Eric aka GG-1, Aloha, Mahalo = Thanks

Picture Galleries Posted Image

#18 jimhudson

jimhudson

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,211 posts
  • Interests:Passenger Trains/Travel/Sports(except Soccer)/Government-Politics/Reading/Old Buildings
    Movies/Music/Unicorns and Ancient Aliens!

Posted 14 October 2010 - 01:06 PM

In Louisiana it's against the law to NOT have an alligator in your yard! :lol:
The reason there is no alligators in Michigan is that all of them have moved to Texas along with all the people! :o New York City only has them in the Sewers, Alan lives in Queens, they dont go there, theres no sewers! :lol: :lol: :lol:
"I'd Rather Be On a Train!"  All Aboard!!!

"There's Something About a Train!"-- 1970s Amtrak Ad

"What a Long,Strange Trip it's Been!"-  "Truckin'"-Grateful Dead

"..My heart is warm with the friends I make,and better friends I'll not be knowing,
Yet there isn't a train I wouldn't take,No matter where its going!.." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

#19 had8ley

had8ley

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,111 posts

Posted 14 October 2010 - 08:31 PM

Magnificent idea :rolleyes: and when they bad order the CCC again I'll just turn him loose in the CCC to play with the OBS who have nothing better to do :cool: :lol:

#20 the_traveler

the_traveler

Engineer

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,434 posts
  • Interests:Planning my next trip

Posted 14 October 2010 - 10:38 PM

It was a pleasure meeting you and every other AU'er and guests that attended. I just wish we could all take a month off and ride behind any train we felt like. I'll add it to my bucket of 10 most important things to do! :rolleyes:

Even me Jay?

As far as the "traveling a month", I am! I'll get home the 20th!

My question is where is Gathering V going to be held? 11 months (to book low bucket) is coming up soon!
Take it easy .......

Take the train instead!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users