Amfleet I Sleepers

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Big Iron

Conductor
I seem to thing there was a thread on this topic. I tried the search function but was unable to locate it. At one time, did the Hilltopper offer sleeping accommodations by way of sleeper modules inserted in an Amfleet coach? If this is the case are there any pictures out there?

Thanks

The Amfleet Coach with 2-3 single sleeper room modules ran on the Shenandoan between Washington and Cincinnati on an overnight schedule leaving Wasington at 7:40PM and arriving Cincinnati about 10:20 AM connecting with the Cardinal to Chicago. The Eastbound schedule left Cincinnati about 7:20PM and arrived in Washington at 10:20AM. The train ran in the mid to late 1970s and was discontinued in serious cutbacks of 1979. The train carried the sleeper Amfleet coach, another regular Amfleet coach and an Amcafe. The Shenandoan ran the old B&O National Limited route which hade passenger service up until Amtrak started on May 1, 1971. I rode the Shenandoan in October, 1978. It was well patronized on the west end between Cincinnati and Chillicothe with Ohio University students and on the east end between Cumberland and Washington. The Hilltopper was a train that superseded in the Mountaineer that ran the old N&W line. It was actually an extension of train 66&67 which ran overnight between Boston and washington and conintued on through Richmond, Petersburg, and Roanoake to Cattletsburg, KY through which the the Cardinal also passed, but there was no decent connection. It ran on a daylight schedule through Virginia and West Virginia.

Each of the two "sleepers" were modified 60-seat Amlleet I's which already had a two wall panel "dresing room" with no facilities connected to (but separate from )each of the existing stndard restrooms.

On the non-rest room end were two heavily modified single bunk Suoerliner modules.

The need for the sleeper occupant to traipse to the restroom in the other end was a real negative.

I'll try to find the original car numbers.

Last edited by a moderator:
Each of the two "sleepers" were modified 60-seat Amlleet I's which already had a two wall panel "dresing room" with no facilities connected to (but separate from )each of the existing stndard restrooms.

On the non-rest room end were two heavily modified single bunk Suoerliner modules.

The need for the sleeper occupant to traipse to the restroom in the other end was a real negative.

I'll try to find the original car numbers.
Thanks and thanks to jphjaxfl, great info. Hopefully some pictures will surface. I've searched all over the www and have found nothing.

If I recall from the movie Trading Places, was there not an Amfleet Baggage Car? I can swear I saw one in the movie as the train pulls out but it has been several years since I last saw it.

If I recall from the movie Trading Places, was there not an Amfleet Baggage Car? I can swear I saw one in the movie as the train pulls out but it has been several years since I last saw it.
I found the scene in question, (its in Italian) skip to 1:34 and you see the train pulling out. The consist appears to be

E60 - Coach - Cafe - Amfleet with paper stripes over the windows. Also the interior shot at 2:44 is clearly not a heritage car and appears to having the curving ceiling line of an Amfleet car. It could also be a set too.

I found the scene in question, (its in Italian) skip to 1:34 and you see the train pulling out. The consist appears to be

E60 - Coach - Cafe - Amfleet with paper stripes over the windows. Also the interior shot at 2:44 is clearly not a heritage car and appears to having the curving ceiling line of an Amfleet car. It could also be a set too.

Well judging from the type of interior shots it is a set. no Camera lens is wide enough to get that shot without distortion (ie a fish-eye)

Aloha

I agree that that's a set, but there have been train movies shot on actual trains that get similar angles with wide (but not fish-eye) lenses. It's difficult, though, and certain angles are limited so filmmakers will most often build a set these days.

It is weird that they would cover an Amfleet coach's windows with paper and put "baggage" over it, though. That's definitely what that last car in the consist is. If you pause the video, you can see parts where the paper is not taped very well to the car and coming off. Also, there is no door! That's the most obvious giveaway.

It's like some vain attempt at realism (having a baggage car to make it more like a LD train) by creating a car type that never existed and could never exist in that form (no door). It would have been better to just leave it as a coach or maybe just put a fake panel on the outside so they could write "Sleeper".

Last edited by a moderator:
It's like some vain attempt at realism (having a baggage car to make it more like a LD train) by creating a car type that never existed and could never exist in that form (no door). It would have been better to just leave it as a coach or maybe just put a fake panel on the outside so they could write "Sleeper".
Aloha

Bet that was done because of the scene in a baggage car in the movie. Remember the Gorilla in the cage and the guy in the Gorilla suit.

Why would Amtrak have wanted an Amfleet sleeper? It strikes me that tue Amfleet is really unsuitable for a sleeper configuration.

I don't think they were Amfleets maybe heritage equipment.
You don't pay much attention to my posts, do you?

There were not two Amfleet-frame sleepers, there were four, and two more planned. Two of them were used initially on the Shenandoan, then were replaced by the second two. The third was set to replace them, but the Carter cuts had the meant they were never actually converted.

The first pair were indeed modified coach cars, as described... to an extent. The second pair were modified AmDinettes, with the sleeper modules taking up the non-table end, which it shared with a baggage-storage area. The third pair was to have consisted of a cafe counter, two booths, two sleeper modules, a small baggage storage area, and 24 coach seats, built into an SPV2000.

But what those sleepers consisted of is not accurately described. Amfleet's order options included options for 150 sleepers, not to mention 40 diners, and 40 cars designed to look like Amfleets intended to carry baggage, mail, and dormitory space.

The Amfleet sleepers were intended to be built with modules that mounted on the standard Amfleet coach seat tracking. The Amfleet fleet was intended, initially, to replace ALL east coast and much of the midwest and western fleet, with Superliners handling only the long distance western routes.

The sleeper modules designed included non-restroom single-person roomettes, two-person bathroomed bedrooms, and a "special" bedroom, a 10-3-1 with bathrooms. The Amfleet is a monocoque car, and thus could not handle the weight of baggage in large quantity- hence the reason that a specialized hybrid was envisioned for the baggage cars.

The Amfleet proved unsuitable to sleeper usage, and its high-speed trucks were deemed unsuitable for low speed use on bad trackage. Amtrak also found the success of the two-person Economy Bedroom so pointedly a reality that they realized building an 18-person sleeper was stupid. And the Amfleet did not have the upper space to handle upper births.

The Viewliner design was started soon after.

Bet that was done because of the scene in a baggage car in the movie. Remember the Gorilla in the cage and the guy in the Gorilla suit.
Oops, that's right. I never watched the whole movie, and I stopped watching the video after the train pulled out of the station...

Still, it seems like the kind of thing they could have just not shown and nobody would have even noticed that they didn't see a baggage car exterior, or they'd just assume it was somewhere on the train that wasn't pictured. I still don't think they needed to go to the trouble of taping up those windows...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back