Obtaining Current Train Status

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

frugalist

Lead Service Attendant
Is there a way to obtain the current status of a specific train via mobile texting?

I know I can call 1-800-USA-RAIL and go through the phone tree, speak or key my train number and date, and eventually get its current status. But many times it would be faster and more convenient to just key in something like "status 98" and send to something like "268725" (the numerical equivalent of "Amtrak" on my phone's old-fashioned alpha-numeric keypad).

I can get current weather for New York City by keying in "weather 10001" and sending it to 466453 (the numberical equivalent of "Google"). Same thing for current stock quotes, movie times, even airline flight status. It would be great if something like this were available for Amtrak train status. Here's a list of the search features available through Google SMS: http://www.google.com/mobile/products/sms.html#p=default

I have an old cell phone that I use mainly for emergencies. It does not have internet capabilites. Just voice and text. I would really appreciate this kind of service when I'm away from my computer and would like an update on a train's status.

Train status can only be found online and also at stations with agents at the present time. If you are in need of train status and don't have a Blackberry or iPhone, make your way to a library in the area. Most often free wifi and computers are available to use.

I agree it would be nice if someone could text "Status 174" to a number and get the most up to date info. But since you don't have a Blackberry or iPhone best way to tell is 1-800-usa-rail and do it through Julie. Or as dlagrua said goto a library.

Steve

Now there is a way to get train status via text message. Text "amtrakstatus [train number] [station code]" to 41411. For example, to get the status of the southbound Coast Starlight in Portland, you would text "amtrakstatus 11 PDX" to 41411. You could also send "amtrakstatus PDX 11" - it will accept the train number and station code in either order.

When I saw this thread, I went looking for some kind of service that would allow me to respond to text messages, and I found a free service called TextMarks. I wrote a little PHP script that reads the train status from the Amtrak web site, and I setup my TextMarks account to call the script.

Disclaimers:

1. Any fees that you normally pay for text messaging will apply, but the TextMarks web site indicates that they do not charge any additional fees for the use of the service. I have tested it from my phone, and I haven't been charged anything (at least not yet).
  2. I think I will be able to see the phone number of anyone who uses this amtrakstatus service. I will not use, sell, give away, or do any other nefarious deed with your number.

Limitations:

1. The status that you will receive from this service is straight from the Amtrak website, which as most of you probably know is not always accurate. For instance, today's train 11 arrived in Vancouver, WA 4 minutes late, but the status displayed on Amtrak's website is "Arrived: 7 minutes late." It actually departed 7 minutes late.
  2. I currently only return the status for the current day.
If there is any interest in this service, I will consider fixing these limitations.

Please let me know what you think of it, especially if you have any problems.

WOW! What else can I say, but WOW!

MisterToad, this is the most remarkable response I could have ever imagined! In fact I didn't imagine that someone from the forum would jump right in and create a solution literally within minutes of my original post. I just tried it. Got a response within seconds that (as you indicated) matched what is reported on the Amtrak site.

A zillion thank yous and 4 thumbs up (counting my feet)!

Last edited by a moderator:
"Sorry, this service is unavailable for your current service plan." <_< That's return text I got.

It's a Net10 prepaid phone.
Mine worked OK, it is an AT&T prepaid Gophone. Sounds like you don't have text SMS as part of your plan.

Last edited by a moderator:
I also use a GoPhone by AT&T. I've subscribed to a texting plan where I get a certain number of texts per month for a set fee that comes out of my prepaid balance every month.

City of Miami, do you pay a per-message fee with your phone? Are you possibly nearing a zero balance in your account? Trying to figure out why you would have a problem receiving the return message.

"Sorry, this service is unavailable for your current service plan." <_< That's return text I got.

It's a Net10 prepaid phone.
I have prepaid phone service also, and it works fine for me. I searched the TextMarks support site and discussion forum to see if I could find anything specifically related to Net10, but my searches came up empty. Sorry it doesn't work for you.

I have plenty of minutes, MrToad. I have an email request for an explanation into Net10 right now - that works better than calling the Philippines! There is always the possibility that I'm messing something up - I am a beginner texter.

I have plenty of minutes, MrToad. I have an email request for an explanation into Net10 right now - that works better than calling the Philippines! There is always the possibility that I'm messing something up - I am a beginner texter.
Maybe we can troubleshoot your problem together. Have you successfully sent and received text messages with this phone in the past?

I likey. :)

Works fine with my Verizon service and it comes just in time to keep track of the trains I'll be riding soon.

Thanks dude!

Here's what Net10.com has to say to my inquiry:

Please note that NET10 Wireless does not generally participate in

Premium SMS services or campaigns. Premium SMS refers to activities that

usually involve sending a text message to a designated "short code".

Oh, well.....

Now there is a way to get train status via text message....

When I saw this thread, I went looking for some kind of service that would allow me to respond to text messages, and I found a free service called TextMarks. I wrote a little PHP script that reads the train status from the Amtrak web site, and I setup my TextMarks account to call the script.
Amtrak is probably developing something similar. It will take them 12 years, cost $30M, work intermittently and only provide status of trains that arrived at least a week ago.

The airlines are also developing a system. However, it will always show the flight as on-time even if the plane should have arrived 3 hours ago.

I just tested it, too - and nice that uppercase or lowercase doesn't matter. I noticed it says "arrival" time for a departure time, so maybe Amtrak only lists estimated arrival times as opposed to departure times?

I tried sending "amtrakstatus 91 orl" and all it sent back to me was:

Train: 91

Station: ORL