Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

Obtaining Current Train Status

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#1 frugalist

frugalist

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 21 September 2010 - 12:44 PM

Is there a way to obtain the current status of a specific train via mobile texting?

I know I can call 1-800-USA-RAIL and go through the phone tree, speak or key my train number and date, and eventually get its current status. But many times it would be faster and more convenient to just key in something like "status 98" and send to something like "268725" (the numerical equivalent of "Amtrak" on my phone's old-fashioned alpha-numeric keypad).

I can get current weather for New York City by keying in "weather 10001" and sending it to 466453 (the numberical equivalent of "Google"). Same thing for current stock quotes, movie times, even airline flight status. It would be great if something like this were available for Amtrak train status. Here's a list of the search features available through Google SMS: http://www.google.co....html#p=default

I have an old cell phone that I use mainly for emergencies. It does not have internet capabilites. Just voice and text. I would really appreciate this kind of service when I'm away from my computer and would like an update on a train's status.
Lifetime Amtrak Miles: 5,046
Lifetime Non-Amtrak Rail Miles:
Long Island Railroad: 8,327,261 (at least it seemed like that many)

#2 dlagrua

dlagrua

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,802 posts
  • Interests:Car collecting, Train Travel, Model RR, Visiting Historical sights, Cooking, Antiques, but above all love for friends and family.

Posted 21 September 2010 - 02:23 PM

Train status can only be found online and also at stations with agents at the present time. If you are in need of train status and don't have a Blackberry or iPhone, make your way to a library in the area. Most often free wifi and computers are available to use.

#3 Acela150

Acela150

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,089 posts

Posted 21 September 2010 - 04:16 PM

I agree it would be nice if someone could text "Status 174" to a number and get the most up to date info. But since you don't have a Blackberry or iPhone best way to tell is 1-800-usa-rail and do it through Julie. Or as dlagrua said goto a library.

Steve
These posts are my views and opinions.

Donate your spare time! Be a Volunteer Firefighter!

"Mainline 66W Recrew On Board at Abrams ready to head east when you can handle us, Ok 66W, ok on signal indication at Norris, take it to the Falls to wait for the window"

#4 MisterToad

MisterToad

Train Attendant

• Members
  • Pip
  • 46 posts

Posted 21 September 2010 - 04:28 PM

Now there is a way to get train status via text message. Text "amtrakstatus [train number] [station code]" to 41411. For example, to get the status of the southbound Coast Starlight in Portland, you would text "amtrakstatus 11 PDX" to 41411. You could also send "amtrakstatus PDX 11" - it will accept the train number and station code in either order.

When I saw this thread, I went looking for some kind of service that would allow me to respond to text messages, and I found a free service called TextMarks. I wrote a little PHP script that reads the train status from the Amtrak web site, and I setup my TextMarks account to call the script.

Disclaimers:
  • Any fees that you normally pay for text messaging will apply, but the TextMarks web site indicates that they do not charge any additional fees for the use of the service. I have tested it from my phone, and I haven't been charged anything (at least not yet).
  • I think I will be able to see the phone number of anyone who uses this amtrakstatus service. I will not use, sell, give away, or do any other nefarious deed with your number.
Limitations:
  • The status that you will receive from this service is straight from the Amtrak website, which as most of you probably know is not always accurate. For instance, today's train 11 arrived in Vancouver, WA 4 minutes late, but the status displayed on Amtrak's website is "Arrived: 7 minutes late." It actually departed 7 minutes late.
  • I currently only return the status for the current day.
If there is any interest in this service, I will consider fixing these limitations.

Please let me know what you think of it, especially if you have any problems.

#5 frugalist

frugalist

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 21 September 2010 - 04:42 PM

WOW! What else can I say, but WOW!

MisterToad, this is the most remarkable response I could have ever imagined! In fact I didn't imagine that someone from the forum would jump right in and create a solution literally within minutes of my original post. I just tried it. Got a response within seconds that (as you indicated) matched what is reported on the Amtrak site.

A zillion thank yous and 4 thumbs up (counting my feet)!

Edited by frugalist, 21 September 2010 - 04:49 PM.

#6 Ryan

Ryan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,642 posts
  • Interests:a fact checker combined with a ferret

Posted 21 September 2010 - 04:54 PM

Wow, that is awesome. Very very well done!
Posted Image

Disclaimer: Any images or links you see in my post may in fact be invasive advertising or even fraudulent phishing attacks silently injected into my post by our spam based hosting service. If anything looks suspicious or inappropriate or you have any doubt whatsoever then do not click any links (particularly those appearing in green and/or with a double underline) or interact with the spam in any way. You may also want to consider using ad-blocking plugins such as Adblock Plus and/or Ghostery)to help reduce the number and severity of advertising scams directed at you.

#7 dlagrua

dlagrua

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,802 posts
  • Interests:Car collecting, Train Travel, Model RR, Visiting Historical sights, Cooking, Antiques, but above all love for friends and family.

Posted 21 September 2010 - 05:32 PM

Tried it and it worked perfectly. Thanks for developing a great program. It will come in handy.

#8 leemell

leemell

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,484 posts

Posted 21 September 2010 - 05:53 PM

Tried it and it worked perfectly. Thanks for developing a great program. It will come in handy.

It worked just fine, thank you very much. I will be using it seriously very soon.

#9 City of Miami

City of Miami

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 987 posts

Posted 21 September 2010 - 06:18 PM

"Sorry, this service is unavailable for your current service plan." <_< That's return text I got.
It's a Net10 prepaid phone.

#10 leemell

leemell

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,484 posts

Posted 21 September 2010 - 06:22 PM

"Sorry, this service is unavailable for your current service plan." <_< That's return text I got.

Mine worked OK, it is an AT&T prepaid Gophone. Sounds like you don't have text SMS as part of your plan.

Edited by leemell, 21 September 2010 - 06:23 PM.

#11 frugalist

frugalist

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 21 September 2010 - 06:27 PM

I also use a GoPhone by AT&T. I've subscribed to a texting plan where I get a certain number of texts per month for a set fee that comes out of my prepaid balance every month.

City of Miami, do you pay a per-message fee with your phone? Are you possibly nearing a zero balance in your account? Trying to figure out why you would have a problem receiving the return message.

#12 Tumbleweed

Tumbleweed

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 933 posts
  • Interests:Rail travel, AU, photography, poetry, surfing internet,

Posted 21 September 2010 - 06:29 PM

Very cool! :cool:
California Zephyr LNK-DEN(RT), DEN-GJT (RT), OMA-CHI(RT) 2/11, Capitol Limited CHI-WAS (RT) 2/11
Silver Meteor WAS-WPB (RT) 2/11, Empire builder FAR-CHI (RT) 3/12, CL CHI-WAS 4/12
SM WAS-WPB 4/12, SM WPB-NYP 4/12, LSL NYP-CHI 4/12, EB CHI-FAR 4/12, EB FAR-CHI 4/13, CL CHI-WAS 4/13
SM WAS-WPB 4/13, SM WPB-NYP 4/13, LSL NYP-CHI 4/13, EB CHI-FAR 4/13, SM WPB-NYP 2/14, LSL NYP-CHI 2/14
EB CHI-FAR 2/14, EB FAR-CHI 2/14, CZ CHI-DEN 2/14

Miles as of Feb 2014......23, 279', Future Plans....Coast Starlight and SW Chief

#13 MisterToad

MisterToad

Train Attendant

• Members
  • Pip
  • 46 posts

Posted 21 September 2010 - 06:32 PM

I have prepaid phone service also, and it works fine for me. I searched the TextMarks support site and discussion forum to see if I could find anything specifically related to Net10, but my searches came up empty. Sorry it doesn't work for you.

#14 rrdude

rrdude

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,680 posts
  • Interests:I like riding trains, in First Class, Sleeper, or Coach. (If just a short jaunt) I expect courteous service, equipment that works, arriving close to "on time", & clean windows. Is that too much to ask for?

Posted 21 September 2010 - 06:41 PM

Sweet dude! Kudo's to ya!

#15 City of Miami

City of Miami

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 987 posts

Posted 21 September 2010 - 07:17 PM

I have plenty of minutes, MrToad. I have an email request for an explanation into Net10 right now - that works better than calling the Philippines! There is always the possibility that I'm messing something up - I am a beginner texter.

#16 frugalist

frugalist

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 21 September 2010 - 07:50 PM

I have plenty of minutes, MrToad. I have an email request for an explanation into Net10 right now - that works better than calling the Philippines! There is always the possibility that I'm messing something up - I am a beginner texter.

Maybe we can troubleshoot your problem together. Have you successfully sent and received text messages with this phone in the past?

#17 Cristobal

Cristobal

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 21 September 2010 - 08:20 PM

I likey. :)

Works fine with my Verizon service and it comes just in time to keep track of the trains I'll be riding soon.

Thanks dude!

#18 City of Miami

City of Miami

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 987 posts

Posted 22 September 2010 - 07:35 AM

Here's what Net10.com has to say to my inquiry:

Please note that NET10 Wireless does not generally participate in
Premium SMS services or campaigns. Premium SMS refers to activities that
usually involve sending a text message to a designated "short code".

Oh, well.....

#19 rrdude

rrdude

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,680 posts
  • Interests:I like riding trains, in First Class, Sleeper, or Coach. (If just a short jaunt) I expect courteous service, equipment that works, arriving close to "on time", & clean windows. Is that too much to ask for?

Posted 22 September 2010 - 09:05 AM

Man, between AmSnag, the Amtrak Status Maps, and this text thingy, AUer's have got it covered.

What other cool "techno-thingys" am I missing out on, anyone? Bueller?

#20 City of Miami

City of Miami

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 987 posts

Posted 22 September 2010 - 09:33 AM

I didn't know about Amsnag, rrdude. Thanks for sharing......that'll save me a lot of clicking! :lol:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users