CS: LAX-SFO-SEA-YVR

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

skyguy

Train Attendant
Following a cruise from Vancouver to LA in October, we will be taking the Coast Starlight to San Francisco and after a few days there taking it further to Seattle and then the CAS back to Vancouver. We rode the CAS to SEA then the EB to CHI and the LSL to NYP (return) earlier this year and so have some experience with AMTRAK (all GREAT). This forum was great in preparations for that trip so I'm asking all if you have any experiences to share on this route.

Thanks in advance

David

Well, first of all, the Coast Starlight does not go to San Francisco, but rather goes east of the Bay through Oakland. To get to SF itself, you can either transfer at San Jose to Cal Train or take an Amtrak bus from Oakland -- I'm sure others will weigh in with opinions and alternatives.

A few weeks ago my wife and I took the CS from Los Angeles to Emeryville (just north of Oakland). It was a fabulous day!! We had booked a roomette -- certainly worth the extra $99 -- champagne as we left Union Station, lunch in the Dining Car, wine and cheese tasting in the Pacific Parlor Car (4 wines and 3 cheeses, all for $5 each), dinner in the Parlor Car (I had lamb in merlot sauce, wife had duck with a soy glaze -- maybe the best duck that either of us has ever had). And then a movie in theater on the lower level of the Parlor Care. And in between, some nice quiet time in the privacy of our roomette for reading and watching the great scenery.

depending on where you are staying in SF, the amtrak bus might be your easiest choice in getting to the city. unlike a bus with a scheduled route, the bus is solely for transporting passengers into the city, so it will be there ready and waiting for you, whether your train is on time or late. you simply hop off the train, walk through the station and the bus is right there on the curb. have you been to SF before? it's a great city, with a lot of fun/interesting things to do and see.

the CS is one of the prettiest train trips I have ever been on. I was fortunate to have a roomette on the ocean side, so I was treated to some truly gorgeous views. as you head farther north, the forests, lakes and mountains of California and Oregon are exceptional. keep your route guide handy, so you know what you're looking at! above all, have fun. aside from the great views, this train also had some of the friendliest, best train attendants I've ever encountered. they reminded me of staff I've encountered on cruise ships: they want you to be comfortable and have a good trip. :)

Well, first of all, the Coast Starlight does not go to San Francisco, but rather goes east of the Bay through Oakland. To get to SF itself, you can either transfer at San Jose to Cal Train or take an Amtrak bus from Oakland -- I'm sure others will weigh in with opinions and alternatives.

A few weeks ago my wife and I took the CS from Los Angeles to Emeryville (just north of Oakland). It was a fabulous day!! We had booked a roomette -- certainly worth the extra $99 -- champagne as we left Union Station, lunch in the Dining Car, wine and cheese tasting in the Pacific Parlor Car (4 wines and 3 cheeses, all for $5 each), dinner in the Parlor Car (I had lamb in merlot sauce, wife had duck with a soy glaze -- maybe the best duck that either of us has ever had). And then a movie in theater on the lower level of the Parlor Care. And in between, some nice quiet time in the privacy of our roomette for reading and watching the great scenery.
Forgive me. I'm aware that Amtrak does not go to SF but, rather, Oakland. I just said SF to make it easy. Clearly I didn't.

Thanks for the advice and we're definitely looking forward to the trip.

There is also an Amtrak bus into San Francisco from Emeryville. Been there done that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back