Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Pioneer and Desert Wind

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#41 cpotisch

cpotisch

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,198 posts
  • Interests:Planes, Trains, Cooking, Politics

Posted 18 August 2018 - 10:07 AM

The CZ already runs to Truckee and Reno daily. Yes, it's a long distance train, so it's not ideal for short distance riders, but running the CC (or a similar train) all the way there might be a bit far for and unnecessary for a CalTrans service. Just my opinion.

Routes Traveled: Silver Meteor, Silver Star, CrescentLake Shore LimitedCalifornia Zephyr, Sunset Limited, Texas EagleEthan Allen Express, Empire Service, Maple Leaf, AdirondackAcela Express, Northeast RegionalKeystone Service, Downeaster w/ Great Dome

Wish List: Auto Train, Cardinal, CONO, Empire Builder, Southwest Chief, Crescent (overnight), Adirondack w/ Great Dome

#42 bretton88

bretton88

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 879 posts

Posted 18 August 2018 - 11:44 AM

Amtrak California which runs to Auburn is not Amtrak. It is Capitol Corridor service operated under contract by Amtrak. It is unlikely that the Capitol Corridor JPB would fund service in another state

I am surprised that Amtrak California wouldn't consider some sort of regional Amtrak train(yes I know it's contracted) to Reno and also Las Vegas, with how many Californians travel to those nearby cities in NV. Truckee seems like a popular town for a lot of people to visit, so it's slightly surprising to me that they wouldn't at least consider an extension of the Auburn train in each direction to also serve Truckee.

I do wonder if Nevada did an assist with funding, if service could finally occur? There probably are issues preventing this from likely happening, that I don't totally understand.
A capitol corridor train extension to Reno has been in their published plans for a long time. The plan was for 2 round trips to Reno. They didn't even request funding from Nevada, it was expected to be a very popular extension. However UP several years ago told CC that they don't want anymore passenger trains over Donner Pass, and hasn't changed that stance since. UP even cancelled an in progress capacity study at the time. So I think the chances of an extension to Reno are slim.
  • Palmetto and cpotisch like this

If I won the lottery, I'd probably build a passenger from nowhere to nowhere.

#43 Palmetto

Palmetto

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,724 posts

Posted 18 August 2018 - 01:48 PM

Also, didn't the desert turtle put a crimp in the process?  UP required some double tracking between Barstow and Las Vegas, but the desert turtle's habitat would've been disrupted in the process.  They couldn't move 50 feet? ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users