Track -Right-of-Way

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ferroequineologist

Train Attendant
Recently I have heard some comments for various people who I trust to tell the truth mostly, that the track for Kalamazoo, MI. and east along the Norfolk-Southern railroad is wanting to purchase the line to Ypsilanti, Mi.

If the purchase happens, this could drastically help the passenger business along the rail line. The added funding available presently and when own by Amtrak the speed limits may rise to 79 full route.

Curve Track super elevation removed or lowered for use of the Turbo-trains during the 1970's was not replaced thereafter. Addition of the banked trackage and right-of-way relocation to sleek track curvature would also delete wasted minutes from off the schedule.

At present freight traffic on this portion of the railroad is at its lowest in decades, a fine time to purchase and upgrade.

Curve Track super elevation removed or lowered for use of the Turbo-trains during the 1970's was not replaced thereafter. Addition of the banked trackage and right-of-way relocation to sleek track curvature would also delete wasted minutes from off the schedule.

At present freight traffic on this portion of the railroad is at its lowest in decades, a fine time to purchase and upgrade.

When the RTG Turboliners were put in service by Amtrak on the PennCentral Northern Division in 1975 on Chicago-Detroit service there were NO CHANGES made to the the any trackage.

biggrin.gif
wink.gif
biggrin.gif

Recently I have heard some comments for various people who I trust to tell the truth mostly, that the track for Kalamazoo, MI. and east along the Norfolk-Southern railroad is wanting to purchase the line to Ypsilanti, Mi.

If the purchase happens, this could drastically help the passenger business along the rail line. The added funding available presently and when own by Amtrak the speed limits may rise to 79 full route.

I'm confused. What are you saying? Are you saying the NS line between Kalamazoo and Ypsilanti is for sale? WHO wants to purchase that line?

(It has been mentioned for years that Amtrak and/or Michigan Department of Transportation would like to purchase the NS line from Kalamazoo east to the Detroit area and upgrade the tracks similar to the Amtrak-owned line from Kalamazoo west.)

NS is planning to downgrade the line. Starting Thursday, certain segments will go from 70-79 mph down to 60 mph.

NS is planning to downgrade the line. Starting Thursday, certain segments will go from 70-79 mph down to 60 mph.
Any idea how this will affect Amtrak's timings east of Kalamazoo? And doesn't Amtrak have to approve it being downgraded?

Any idea how this will affect Amtrak's timings east of Kalamazoo? And doesn't Amtrak have to approve it being downgraded?
Shhhhh! They're trying to surprise Amtrak.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back