Missouri River Runner and Texas Eagle

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RailFanLNK

Conductor
Very close to departing on the MRR and TE from KCY to SAS. My friend who is travelling with me smokes, where are the smoke stops on both of these routes? Also, if the MRR departs at 7:30am, what time do we need to be at Kansas City Union Station? We have BC seats on the MRR and a roomette on the TE. Thanks!

Very close to departing on the MRR and TE from KCY to SAS. My friend who is travelling with me smokes, where are the smoke stops on both of these routes? Also, if the MRR departs at 7:30am, what time do we need to be at Kansas City Union Station? We have BC seats on the MRR and a roomette on the TE. Thanks!
The TE has time allotted at the following stations:

ST. LOUIS

2 mins — Poplar Bluff, MO

2 mins — Walnut Ridge, AR

8 mins — Little Rock, AR — smoke stop

1 min — Malvern, AR (flag stop)

1 min — Arkadelphia, AR (flag stop)

1 min — Hope, AR

8 mins — Texarkana, AR — smoke stop

10 mins — Marshall, TX — smoke stop

5 mins — Longview, TX — sometimes a smoke stop

5 mins — Mineola, TX

20 mins — Dallas, TX — smoke stop

45 mins — Fort Worth, TX

1 min — Cleburne, TX

1 min — McGregor, TX

2 mins — Temple, TX — sometimes a smoke stop

2 mins — Taylor, TX

8 mins — Austin, TX — smoke stop

1 min — San Marcos, TX

SAN ANTONIO, TX

Of course, it all depends on whether the train is keeping schedule and what the conductor decides.

It's generally a good idea to get to the station at least 30 minutes early. If you already have your tickets in hand and don't need to check bags (which would be the case on the River Runner anyway, since that train doesn't offer checked baggage), you could probably get away with arriving 15 minutes early. It's probably not a good idea to try for anything closer than that.

It's generally a good idea to get to the station at least 30 minutes early. If you already have your tickets in hand and don't need to check bags (which would be the case on the River Runner anyway, since that train doesn't offer checked baggage), you could probably get away with arriving 15 minutes early. It's probably not a good idea to try for anything closer than that.
I would also add that Kansas City Union Station (at least the fairly small Amtrak portion) tends to be very crowded in the morning, with Missouri River Runner 314 (7:30am departure) and Southwest Chief 4 (7:16am arrival, 7:35am departure) at the station at the same time. If you are not familiar with the station in Kansas City, I would suggest getting there closer to 30 minutes early rather than 15 minutes.

I would also add that Kansas City Union Station (at least the fairly small Amtrak portion) tends to be very crowded in the morning, with Missouri River Runner 314 (7:30am departure) and Southwest Chief 4 (7:16am arrival, 7:35am departure) at the station at the same time. If you are not familiar with the station in Kansas City, I would suggest getting there closer to 30 minutes early rather than 15 minutes.
One other thing to keep in mind is that there is a significant walk from the waiting room to the platform, which adds a few minutes to the boarding process. Better safe than sorry... If you must cut it close, I wouldn't plan for an arrival any closer than 20 minutes from departure, but 30 would make things much less stressful. Don't forget that the MORR originates at KCY, so departure will likely be right on time.

As for smoke stops... if the train is running on time, expect a brief smoke stop at Jefferson City.

EDIT: grammar fix

Last edited by a moderator:
In Re: Smoke Breaks on the TE STL-SAS

The Time Keeping will determine the actual time allowed for "smoke breaks" (or as some conductors call them now "fresh air breaks" :) )but most days the following are generally stops that allow you to actually get off, if only for a quick puff or two or breaths:

Little Rock,Ark

Texarkana,Ark/Tx

Longview,Tx

Dallas,TX

Fort Worth,Tx

Temple,Tx

Austin,Tx

The other places mentioned by Amtking are either flag stops where none will be allowed off,

quickie, middle of the night stops (Popular Bluff,Walnut Ridge)and even in Marshall,Tx, which is a crew change spot no-one is allowed off the train! Dallas sometimes is longer when the train runs early, Fort Worth can be as long as 1-1 1/2 hours or short as 20 mins depending on time keeping. Temple,Tx is the next opportunity to smoke/breath before the last smoke break in Austin, and remember dinner will be served about 4:30PM so you might be in the diner when that comes up! Have a great trip, wave when yall come through Austin, it might be raining! :eek:

ST. LOUIS

2 mins — Poplar Bluff, MO

2 mins — Walnut Ridge, AR

8 mins — Little Rock, AR — smoke stop

1 min — Malvern, AR (flag stop)

1 min — Arkadelphia, AR (flag stop)

1 min — Hope, AR

8 mins — Texarkana, AR — smoke stop

10 mins — Marshall, TX — smoke stop

5 mins — Longview, TX — sometimes a smoke stop

5 mins — Mineola, TX

20 mins — Dallas, TX — smoke stop

45 mins — Fort Worth, TX

1 min — Cleburne, TX

1 min — McGregor, TX

2 mins — Temple, TX — sometimes a smoke stop

2 mins — Taylor, TX

8 mins — Austin, TX — smoke stop

1 min — San Marcos, TX

SAN ANTONIO, TX

Of course, it all depends on whether the train is keeping schedule and what the conductor decides.
My husband and I do not smoke but he was wondering how long we stop at each station. It's been so long since I traveled by train and I don't remember. Where do you get this list of times at each stop? We will be going on the Texas Eagle this weekend from Dallas to Chicago and I would love a list of the other times they have at each stop. Thanks in advance! :)

Keep in mind that it is the scheduled departure time, not the scheduled dwell time, that determines how long the train will be at each stop. The train will not leave early (except at stations marked in the timetable with "L" or "D"), but if the train is late, it is very possible that the dwell will be cut short.

ST. LOUIS

SAN ANTONIO, TX

My husband and I do not smoke but he was wondering how long we stop at each station. It's been so long since I traveled by train and I don't remember. Where do you get this list of times at each stop? We will be going on the Texas Eagle this weekend from Dallas to Chicago and I would love a list of the other times they have at each stop. Thanks in advance! :)
Southbound, the following locations are possibilities for "step off the train" stops:

Bloomington-Normal, IL

Springfield, IL

St. Louis, MO

Little Rock, AR

Texarkana, AR

Marshall, TX

Longview, TX

Mineola, TX

Northbound:

Mineola, TX

Longview, TX

Texarkana, AR

Little Rock, AR

St. Louis, MO

Springfield, IL

Bloomington-Normal, IL

Note: These are the most likely locations. It is doubtful that all of them will be "smoke stops," and it is possible that y'all will be permitted to go outside at stations not mentioned.

Also, be sure to read Trogdor's disclaimer.

Last edited by a moderator:
In Re: Smoke Breaks on the TE STL-SAS

The Time Keeping will determine the actual time allowed for "smoke breaks" (or as some conductors call them now "fresh air breaks" :) )but most days the following are generally stops that allow you to actually get off, if only for a quick puff or two or breaths:

Little Rock,Ark

Texarkana,Ark/Tx

Longview,Tx

Dallas,TX

Fort Worth,Tx

Temple,Tx

Austin,Tx

The other places mentioned by Amtking are either flag stops where none will be allowed off,

quickie, middle of the night stops (Popular Bluff,Walnut Ridge)and even in Marshall,Tx, which is a crew change spot no-one is allowed off the train! Dallas sometimes is longer when the train runs early, Fort Worth can be as long as 1-1 1/2 hours or short as 20 mins depending on time keeping. Temple,Tx is the next opportunity to smoke/breath before the last smoke break in Austin, and remember dinner will be served about 4:30PM so you might be in the diner when that comes up! Have a great trip, wave when yall come through Austin, it might be raining! :eek:
There are a couple conductors who list the "designated stops" and the "courtesy stops" — only the designated ones are likely, and even then (with the exception of St. Louis on 321/322 days) none are guaranteed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back