Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

Line Numbers/Consist Listings

• Please log in to reply
164 replies to this topic

#21 PaulM

PaulM

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,111 posts
  • Interests:Bicycling, computer programming, website development, concert band, train travel

Posted 20 December 2010 - 02:45 PM

TEXAS EAGLE (SUNSET DAYS) — 6 sets w/CONO (STL coach*, 2 cars)

2132|2232 [CHI-SAS] Superliner Trans-Dorm/Sleeper
2130|2230 [CHI-LAX] Superliner Sleeper
----|---- [CHI-SAS] Superliner Cross-Country Café
----|---- [CHI-SAS] Superliner Sightseer Lounge (or C.C.C.)
2110|2210 [CHI-SAS] Superliner Coach/Baggage
2111|2211 [CHI-SAS] Superliner Coach
2115|2215 [CHI-LAX] Superliner Coach
3210|3220 [CHI-STL] Superliner Coach*

* [i]No STL local coach during track work.[/]

Two questions.

Is there no 2120/2220 on SL days; i.e., does the TE always only have one sleeper?

Do they really split up the two thru cars, 2130/2230 and 2115/2215 and put one in between the trans-dorm and CCC and the other on the end? I guess with a 7+ hour layover, they can do whatever they want.

#22 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 December 2010 - 02:49 PM

SILVER METEOR — 4 sets

----|---- —— Heritage Baggage
9744|9844 —— Amfleet II Coach
9743|9843 —— Amfleet II Coach
9742|9842 —— Amfleet II Coach
9741|9841 —— Amfleet II Coach
9740|9840 —— Amfleet II Coach
----|---- —— Amfleet II Lounge
----|---- —— Heritage Diner
9710|9810 —— Viewliner Sleeper
9711|9811 —— Viewliner Sleeper
9712|9812 —— Viewliner Sleeper

SILVER STAR — 4 sets

----|---- —— Heritage Baggage
9144|9244 —— Amfleet II Coach
9143|9243 —— Amfleet II Coach
9142|9242 —— Amfleet II Coach
9141|9241 —— Amfleet II Coach
9140|9240 —— Amfleet II Coach
----|---- —— Amfleet II Lounge
----|---- —— Heritage Diner
9110|9210 —— Viewliner Sleeper
9111|9211 —— Viewliner Sleeper

From a reply in other thread here, I thought with this latest experiment with the Viewliners on the rear, that the Heritage Baggage also moved from the first car, to the last car, to eliminate the Viewliner's tendency to "tail wag". :ohboy:

#23 Ryan

Ryan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,563 posts
  • Interests:a fact checker combined with a ferret

Posted 20 December 2010 - 03:19 PM

My understanding was the comment said that the bag would potentially solve the wagging, but not that it had been done.
Posted Image

Disclaimer: Any images or links you see in my post may in fact be invasive advertising or even fraudulent phishing attacks silently injected into my post by our spam based hosting service. If anything looks suspicious or inappropriate or you have any doubt whatsoever then do not click any links (particularly those appearing in green and/or with a double underline) or interact with the spam in any way. You may also want to consider using ad-blocking plugins such as Adblock Plus and/or Ghostery)to help reduce the number and severity of advertising scams directed at you.

#24 saxman

saxman

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,344 posts
  • Interests:Trains, planes, maps, and music

Posted 20 December 2010 - 03:29 PM

TEXAS EAGLE (SUNSET DAYS) — 6 sets w/CONO (STL coach*, 2 cars)

2132|2232 [CHI-SAS] Superliner Trans-Dorm/Sleeper
2130|2230 [CHI-LAX] Superliner Sleeper
----|---- [CHI-SAS] Superliner Cross-Country Café
----|---- [CHI-SAS] Superliner Sightseer Lounge (or C.C.C.)
2110|2210 [CHI-SAS] Superliner Coach/Baggage
2111|2211 [CHI-SAS] Superliner Coach
2115|2215 [CHI-LAX] Superliner Coach
3210|3220 [CHI-STL] Superliner Coach*

* [i]No STL local coach during track work.[/]

Two questions.

Is there no 2120/2220 on SL days; i.e., does the TE always only have one sleeper?

Do they really split up the two thru cars, 2130/2230 and 2115/2215 and put one in between the trans-dorm and CCC and the other on the end? I guess with a 7+ hour layover, they can do whatever they want.

Yup! Every day the Texas Eagle consist is the exact same. On Sunset days, the lone sleeper is the 2120/2220 car, and on Sunset days, that sleeper is the 2130/2230 car.

I've never been able to stay awake to see the switching in SAS, but I know it is quite complicated. On through Sunset days, the sleeper is indeed taken out of the middle of the consist and tacked onto the last coach then tacked on to westbound Sunset.

Going eastbound, the Eagle sleeper is taken off the Sunset consist and put back into the middle of the Texas Eagle consist, ready to go northbound later in the morning.
Amtrak Miles: 203,395 (as of 9/21/16)

#25 PaulM

PaulM

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,111 posts
  • Interests:Bicycling, computer programming, website development, concert band, train travel

Posted 20 December 2010 - 05:08 PM

Yup! Every day the Texas Eagle consist is the exact same. On Sunset days, the lone sleeper is the 2120/2220 car, and on Sunset days, that sleeper is the 2130/2230 car.

Going eastbound, the Eagle sleeper is taken off the Sunset consist and put back into the middle of the Texas Eagle consist, ready to go northbound later in the morning.

Thanks.

#26 Donctor

Donctor

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,137 posts

Posted 19 February 2011 - 10:32 PM

See first post.

Edited by Donctor, 05 May 2012 - 11:41 PM.

Posted Image

#27 Donctor

Donctor

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,137 posts

Posted 22 April 2011 - 08:56 PM

See first post.

Edited by Donctor, 05 May 2012 - 11:41 PM.

Posted Image

#28 Donctor

Donctor

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,137 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 08:07 AM

See first post.

Edited by Donctor, 05 May 2012 - 11:42 PM.

Posted Image

#29 The Davy Crockett

The Davy Crockett

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,332 posts
  • Interests:The Rails, US History, The Great Outdoors, Good Food

Posted 16 June 2011 - 02:02 PM

So they have moved sleeper 5800/5900 on The CONO to be the last car on the train? If so, sweet! :cool: I'm riding The CONO for the first time in July, and the most consistent complaint I've read in trip reports is that the horn gets to be a lot - even for those of us who like the sound in the middle of the night.

Also THANKS Donctor for keeping the consists lists up to date!
I wish I was a headlight on a northbound of the border train.

#30 BlakeTyner

BlakeTyner

Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 07:05 PM

Just to add a little to the Texas Eagle: on days when there is an extra sleeper (charter group, etc.) it's line number will be 2121/2221.

#31 Bob Dylan

Bob Dylan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,293 posts
  • Interests:Passenger Trains/Travel/Sports/Gov't/ Politics/History/Reading/
    Movies/Music/Space-Ancient Aliens

Posted 16 June 2011 - 07:09 PM

So they have moved sleeper 5800/5900 on The CONO to be the last car on the train? If so, sweet! :cool: I'm riding The CONO for the first time in July, and the most consistent complaint I've read in trip reports is that the horn gets to be a lot - even for those of us who like the sound in the middle of the night.

No, the Revenue Sleeper will still be on the Front of the Train behind the TransDorm and In Front of the CCC!!(aka Diner!)Besides the Portland Section of the EB and the Sunset/Texas Eagle Cut out Sleeper from LAX-SAS there are No Superliner Trains with Sleepers on the Back. Previously on the CZ there was a Revenue Sleeper from CHI-Denver in the Summer but not sure if there still will be since the "Temporary" Station has Opened???

Edited by jimhudson, 16 June 2011 - 07:09 PM.

"There's Something About a Train! It's Magic!"-- 1970s Amtrak Ad
 "..My heart is warm with the friends I make,and better friends I'll not be knowing,
Yet there isn't a train I wouldn't take,No matter where its going!.." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

#32 The Davy Crockett

The Davy Crockett

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,332 posts
  • Interests:The Rails, US History, The Great Outdoors, Good Food

Posted 17 June 2011 - 07:40 AM

No, the Revenue Sleeper will still be on the Front of the Train behind the TransDorm and In Front of the CCC!!(aka Diner!)Besides the Portland Section of the EB and the Sunset/Texas Eagle Cut out Sleeper from LAX-SAS there are No Superliner Trains with Sleepers on the Back. Previously on the CZ there was a Revenue Sleeper from CHI-Denver in the Summer but not sure if there still will be since the "Temporary" Station has Opened???

Thanks. Would have been nice, but I'm not complaining...
I wish I was a headlight on a northbound of the border train.

#33 Trogdor

Trogdor

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,028 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 08:30 AM

jumhudson is incorrect. The sleeper was moved to the back this week. They do not switch the train around in Chicago, so the City of New Orleans also gets the sleeper at the rear.
Posted Image

#34 Bob Dylan

Bob Dylan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,293 posts
  • Interests:Passenger Trains/Travel/Sports/Gov't/ Politics/History/Reading/
    Movies/Music/Space-Ancient Aliens

Posted 17 June 2011 - 09:55 AM

jumhudson is incorrect. The sleeper was moved to the back this week. They do not switch the train around in Chicago, so the City of New Orleans also gets the sleeper at the rear.

:hi: Thanks for the Update! I didn't know about the Switch this past week, I'm one of those that prefer the Sleepers on the Front of the Train but except for the LSL and the EB doesn't really matter since the walk to the Diner/Lounge isn't that Long! (do think the Tail Wagging does help create a Rougher Ride! I'm also one who likes to hear the Whistle at Night! :wub: )

Edited by jimhudson, 17 June 2011 - 09:56 AM.

"There's Something About a Train! It's Magic!"-- 1970s Amtrak Ad
 "..My heart is warm with the friends I make,and better friends I'll not be knowing,
Yet there isn't a train I wouldn't take,No matter where its going!.." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

#35 scientist

scientist

Train Attendant

• Training
  • Pip
  • 22 posts
  • Interests:Landscapes, biking, rocks, train riding

Posted 05 September 2011 - 06:36 PM

Does anybody know why the California Zephyr and the Crescent have moved the sleepers to the rear and the coaches to the front? Picking up the CZ in Davis this past April, we found we were on the wrong end of the platform to catch the CZ home to Denver. From the newest listing, I see that the Crescent has done the same. So, what's the idea here? Thanks for your responses.

#36 TishaNola

TishaNola

Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 05 September 2011 - 07:01 PM

the city of new orleans # 59 had 2 sleepers yesterday coming from chi , the last car was a sleeper 5900 the one before it was a dinner car then the lounge then 2 coach cars then another sleeper .

my sleeper at the end had all the crew in it . This car did not have coffee or juice like the sleeper did that was in front of the two coach cars . we had a friend on that sleeper and the attendant on that one put the beds down while they were at dinner and provided coffee and juice.
the number 59 attendant we saw once when he collected tickets . We put down our own beds at midnight "im 8 months preg" they did not have coffee or juice at our station and the crew was really loud after the dinner car closed it sounded like they were having a party in the downstairs area of our sleeper. which is where the head dinner attendant said the crew rooms were.

#37 Acela150

Acela150

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,049 posts

Posted 05 September 2011 - 07:08 PM

the city of new orleans # 59 had 2 sleepers yesterday coming from chi , the last car was a sleeper 5900 the one before it was a dinner car then the lounge then 2 coach cars then another sleeper .

my sleeper at the end had all the crew in it . This car did not have coffee or juice like the sleeper did that was in front of the two coach cars . we had a friend on that sleeper and the attendant on that one put the beds down while they were at dinner and provided coffee and juice.
the number 59 attendant we saw once when he collected tickets . We put down our own beds at midnight "im 8 months preg" they did not have coffee or juice at our station and the crew was really loud after the dinner car closed it sounded like they were having a party in the downstairs area of our sleeper. which is where the head dinner attendant said the crew rooms were.

You were in the "transdorm". This is also called the crew car. From what it sounds like. You are still entitled to the coffee in the other sleeper but if your questioned just tell the person your in the crew car.

But as far as putting your bed down and your situation. I would call Customer Relations and file a complaint. As much as we say it on here that if your in the Transdorm you'll be forgotten this shouldn't have happened to you! Amtrak did a terrible job here. Call 1-800-USA-RAIL talk to an agent say you want to speak to Customer Relations. Have you reservation number handy and explain the situation, and for future reference ask on here if your sleeper car is the Transdorm if it is ask to be relocated ASAP!
These posts are my views and opinions.

Donate your spare time! Be a Volunteer Firefighter!

"Mainline 66W Recrew On Board at Abrams ready to head east when you can handle us, Ok 66W, ok on signal indication at Norris, take it to the Falls to wait for the window"

#38 Guest_MAB-Passenger_*

Guest_MAB-Passenger_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 October 2011 - 03:34 PM

We are avid Amtrak users and generally take a few trips each year. Our favorite is the auto train and we will be leaving on it again in less than 2 weeks. The question I have relates to the deluxe sleeper compartments...is there a way to determine which directio the couch will be facing? We are in E going Southbound and J going Northbound.

The following website does show the internals of the sleeper compartments but not for the auto train.

Thank you.

#39 Ryan

Ryan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,563 posts
  • Interests:a fact checker combined with a ferret

Posted 15 October 2011 - 03:53 PM

Nope, it's pretty much luck of the draw.

I don't think that those cars get turned all that often, so someone with recent Auto Train experience may be able to offer an educated guess.
Posted Image

Disclaimer: Any images or links you see in my post may in fact be invasive advertising or even fraudulent phishing attacks silently injected into my post by our spam based hosting service. If anything looks suspicious or inappropriate or you have any doubt whatsoever then do not click any links (particularly those appearing in green and/or with a double underline) or interact with the spam in any way. You may also want to consider using ad-blocking plugins such as Adblock Plus and/or Ghostery)to help reduce the number and severity of advertising scams directed at you.

#40 Donctor

Donctor

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,137 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 08:23 PM

See first post.

Edited by Donctor, 05 May 2012 - 11:42 PM.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users