Amtrak Crescent Reviews and Tips.

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jack Boudreaux

Train Attendant
Hi All

My family of four will be traveling on the Amtrak Crescent from New Orleans to Washington D.C. My son loves history and was the one that begged for this trip. We have two roomettes reserved. I have question like does the train have Wi-Fi? How's the food? Basically and reviews and tips for the train?

Thank you!

The train does not have wifi. Depending on your cellular provider, you may be able to add on a data feature for the time of your vacation.

The food is okay, nothing all that special. For example, the baked chicken is just Banquet frozen chicken. Sample menus

The train does not have wifi. Depending on your cellular provider, you may be able to add on a data feature for the time of your vacation.
The food is okay, nothing all that special. For example, the baked chicken is just Banquet frozen chicken. Sample menus
Thanks. How many electrical outlets does the roomettes have? I have an iphone so I guess that would work.

How many electrical outlets does the roomettes have? I have an iphone so I guess that would work.
With the iPhone, you'll be able to get online with your iPhone only. Currently, AT&T doesn't allow connecting your iPhone to a laptop to get your laptop online (called "tethering"). ...but of course you can get AT&T's USB mobile network card for a "nominal fee"...

As for outlets, I believe there are 2 of them, one on each side. But I've heard sometimes they don't work, so you might want to bring along a power strip.

I just took the Crescent from NYP to ATL arriving today.

There are two 110 electrical outlets in a roomette.

The food was good. I had dinner and breakfast.

The onboard service was very good in both the sleeper and diner.

I hope your family has an enjoyable trip.

How many electrical outlets does the roomettes have? I have an iphone so I guess that would work.
With the iPhone, you'll be able to get online with your iPhone only. Currently, AT&T doesn't allow connecting your iPhone to a laptop to get your laptop online (called "tethering"). ...but of course you can get AT&T's USB mobile network card for a "nominal fee"...

As for outlets, I believe there are 2 of them, one on each side. But I've heard sometimes they don't work, so you might want to bring along a power strip.
or you could just jailbreak. better than paying a "named fee"

I just took the Crescent from NYP to ATL arriving today.There are two 110 electrical outlets in a roomette.

Thank you very much. The roomettes look small online as I'm sure they are. Are they comfortable to sleep in or do you get a sense of claustrophobia?

or you could just jailbreak. better than paying a "named fee"
This is pretty easy as is enabling tethering thenceforth.
For power, I usually carry about a 6' extension cord that has 3 3-prong outlets molded into the end. Makes life super easy. iPhone tethered to the laptop via USB means the iPhone keeps 100% charged as well.

I just took the Crescent from NYP to ATL arriving today.There are two 110 electrical outlets in a roomette.

Thank you very much. The roomettes look small online as I'm sure they are. Are they comfortable to sleep in or do you get a sense of claustrophobia?
The roomettes are pretty small. Just enough space for a bunk bed, a sink, toilet and a couple of bags. I believe that they are something like 7' x 3' 9".

If you are not real tall or real chubby two adults can be seated OK during the day. At night there should be enough room to sleep but not much else.

Food is generally acceptable to VG.

I have travelled the Crescent many times and have always had excellent food and service in the dining car (I think its thanks to the New Orleans Crew base... Cajuns know how to cook AMEN?!).

You will find the Roomette quite small... but once you get settled you will most likely find it to be very well thought out and quite comfortable. I've never felt claustrophobic in a Viewliner Sleeper (the extra windows on the new Viewliner cars really do help). Plus when you think about the fact that you are in a fully private accomodation on public transportation with an actual bed... it's actually quite nice.

Hope you have fun...

EDIT - Before someone corrects me.. yes I am aware that some of the crew also comes from New York..

Last edited by a moderator:

Thanks. I'm not sure what tethering is. Man technology has really passed me by. I was on top of the tech wave in the 90's. I'm still trying to figure out everything the iphone can do. I will only be on the train 24 hours or so. I can live without my laptop that long...I think!

I have travelled the Crescent many times and have always had excellent food and service in the dining car (I think its thanks to the New Orleans Crew base... Cajuns know how to cook AMEN?!).
You will find the Roomette quite small... but once you get settled you will most likely find it to be very well thought out and quite comfortable. I've never felt claustrophobic in a Viewliner Sleeper (the extra windows on the new Viewliner cars really do help). Plus when you think about the fact that you are in a fully private accomodation on public transportation with an actual bed... it's actually quite nice.

Hope you have fun...

EDIT - Before someone corrects me.. yes I am aware that some of the crew also comes from New York..
Thank you. You guys are starting to make me excited about the trip. This was really for my son but I think I might have some fun also.

I know this question has probably been asked a zillion times on here before, but do they do dinner service going into NOL and breakfast coming out?

I know this question has probably been asked a zillion times on here before, but do they do dinner service going into NOL and breakfast coming out?
yep
Both tend to be abreviated meals, especially the inbound dinner. They usually start by 5:00 and it's one seating only, unless the train is running a few hours late. Breakfast seems to depend on the crew, some open rather quickly out of NOL and serve a longer time. Other's wait until the last minute to open and only do one seating.

Hope you have fun...

I hate to burst your bubble but the diner crew is the ONLY car manned by NYP based OBS... :cool:

As a follow up to this I just made my reservations for my girlfriend and myself. We'll be heading out of Atlanta in Room 5 of the 1910 and coming back in Room 8 of the 2010. Definitely excited for a trip on a new train, new mileage, and to a new city. The only time I've ever been to NOL was on a layover back in 04 when I connected from the Sunset (JAX-NOL) to the City (NOL-CHI). Bourbon Street here we come!

By the way, we got a freaking steal on these rooms. It was $47 each way to upgrade to a sleeper. For both of us to be able to get three meals in the dining car it will definitely be worth it. Not to mention the privacy we'll get in a room versus being in coach.

The only time I've ever been to NOL was on a layover back in 04 when I connected from the Sunset (JAX-NOL) to the City (NOL-CHI). Bourbon Street here we come!
Don't be surprised if parts of NOL look different than they did in 2004. Not trying to be insensitive, but I took Amtrak to/from NOL in 2002 and went back in 2007. It just wasn't the same. Doesn't mean it won't be fantastic, though.

Having grown up in South Florida I feel like I'll be well prepared. I know that Wilma was no Katrina, but I think we could all agree that Wilma dramatically changed large parts of South Florida. In all reality though I'll be sticking pretty close to the French Quarter/Downtown region. I won't really be making a beeline to the Lower 9th Ward.

Having grown up in South Florida I feel like I'll be well prepared. I know that Wilma was no Katrina, but I think we could all agree that Wilma dramatically changed large parts of South Florida. In all reality though I'll be sticking pretty close to the French Quarter/Downtown region. I won't really be making a beeline to the Lower 9th Ward.
:)

New Orleans is back for the most part. Some residential areas are still rebuilding, but the downtown/CBD/riverfront area...it's as if nothing ever happened. Be sure to take a ride on the St. Charles Streetcar line. Also the Canal Streetcar to the New Orleans Museum of Art/City Park is a nice ride. Enjoy your stay in New Orleans and try to get off Bourbon Street for at least a few hours lol.

BTW...that $47 upgrade deal is a steal...I take advantage of that quite often!

The only time I've ever been to NOL was on a layover back in 04 when I connected from the Sunset (JAX-NOL) to the City (NOL-CHI). Bourbon Street here we come!
Don't be surprised if parts of NOL look different than they did in 2004. Not trying to be insensitive, but I took Amtrak to/from NOL in 2002 and went back in 2007. It just wasn't the same. Doesn't mean it won't be fantastic, though.
Much...much...has changed since 2007. It's as close to normal as it's been since the storm. Some residential areas are still rebuilding, but as visitors, it's pretty much back to its pre-Katrina state.

I hope you have a wonderful time. It is probably a good time to come down. Not much going on right now so not to many tourists. However as I'm sure you are aware because of the oil spill seafood might be hard to come by and expensive.

As a follow up to this I just made my reservations for my girlfriend and myself. We'll be heading out of Atlanta in Room 5 of the 1910 and coming back in Room 8 of the 2010. Definitely excited for a trip on a new train, new mileage, and to a new city. The only time I've ever been to NOL was on a layover back in 04 when I connected from the Sunset (JAX-NOL) to the City (NOL-CHI). Bourbon Street here we come!
By the way, we got a freaking steal on these rooms. It was $47 each way to upgrade to a sleeper. For both of us to be able to get three meals in the dining car it will definitely be worth it. Not to mention the privacy we'll get in a room versus being in coach.

You will see Tuscaloosa from the train this time. I recall you have visited before. I remember that because my sister went to school at ALA.

You will see the BHM station is even smaller than the ATL.

At one time BHM had a large and beautiful station called Terminal Station. It hosted 6 or 7 railroads. It is now torn down. Then there was the smaller station which just served the Louisvlle and Nashviile. It got a new building in 1960.

Long story short: it evolved to the train today called the Crescent , only train left, to use what had been the old L&N depot. This tiny staton actually gave a more direct line trough town from NYP to NOL than the old Terminal Station. Th FLoridian once served this station also.

Much of the building has been torn down, really ugly what is left of it, I will not deny.

Oh, and BTW, have a great trip!!

I am considering the Crescent R/T from NYP to Atlanta to attend a conference - how plentiful are cabs at the Atlanta station?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back