Trouble booking online

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hippyman

Service Attendant
I will be going from FTW to LAX, to CHI, to FTW, sometime this summer, probably in June, but I've been pre planning. The problem is, I get to step 2, and after booking the rooms, I get the following message: Problem with Your Itinerary: Sorry, we are unable to price the itinerary you selected. Please modify your selection and try again.

[Error ID: 720S]

Does anyone know what could be causing this? I've tried to book this route before, and not gotten this message, woulda booked then too, but I'm not sure when exactly I can travel yet.

The trouble is that I think you are trying a same day connection between each of those trains. The TE->SWC in LAX is no problem, but the SWC->TE in CHI is! The SWC arrives after the TE departs - you would need to stay overnight.

I would suggest trying to use the multi-city booking screen. And I haven't looked at the times, but perhaps FTW-LAX, LAX-STL (via KCY) and STL-FTW can be done. (Make sure you adjust for the right days of departure on each segment! ;) )

The trouble is that I think you are trying a same day connection between each of those trains. The TE->SWC in LAX is no problem, but the SWC->TE in CHI is! The SWC arrives after the TE departs - you would need to stay overnight.
I would suggest trying to use the multi-city booking screen. And I haven't looked at the times, but perhaps FTW-LAX, LAX-STL (via KCY) and STL-FTW can be done. (Make sure you adjust for the right days of departure on each segment! ;) )
The connection you need to make from the SWC#4 to the TE#21 is @ GBB (Galesburg,Ill), the KCY-STL connection doesnt work since the SWC arrives after the MORR departs KCY for STL and the evening train gets to STL to late to catch the Eagle! :angry: They run a shuttle van between GBB and SPI (Springfield,Ill) that makes the connections with #3/#4 and #5, but not #6, go figure!) :blink: If you wanted to ride the Coast Starlight from LAX to EMY, then the CZ to CHI you would have to spend the night in EMY and CHI before catching the Eagle South. You could ride to PDX (Portland,Oregon)on the CS#14, catch the Empire Builder #28 to Chicago, which is a nice trip, but again youd have to spend the night in CHI.(CHI has a really nice hostel intl. downtown thats like $40 a night all in, Ive stayed there several times, will again in May thanks to a member from LNK recommending it,thanks Al!)

The sleepers on all these trains are very pricey in the summer, youll need to do test bookings to find space/prices suitable to your budget, maybe a rail pass would work if you want a 15 day/8 segment pass it's $389 which for these lD trips is a good deal!) :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back