Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,974 posts
  • Interests:trains,music,guitars

Posted 21 March 2010 - 12:06 AM

I'm not shy, but I hate people.

this explains allot around here :rolleyes:

Edited by amtrakwolverine, 21 March 2010 - 12:07 AM.

#22 Green Maned Lion

Green Maned Lion

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,711 posts
  • Interests:Sleeping

Posted 21 March 2010 - 10:26 PM

I'm not shy, but I hate people.

this explains allot around here :rolleyes:

I've never made a secret. I'm under no misconception that I am anything but a deeply flawed person.

Travelled: Broadway Limited (1), Lake Shore Limited (6), Capitol Limited (7), Empire Builder (1), Southwest Chief (2), Sunset Limited (1), California Zephyr (3), Coast Starlight (2), Silver Meteor (5), Silver Star (5), Silver Palm (2), Crescent (1), Cardinal (4), Auto Train (4), Pennsylvanian (2), Palmetto (1), Acela Express (1), Empire Service (1), Northeast Regional (11), Keystone Service (1) --- Total Miles: 50,144 --- Total Trains: 61
Most important: Keep it Simple, Stupid!
350vyib.png
Dream of love, dream of me, for you are my love. I love you.
Avatar and sig were done by my fiance, Corvidophile.

#23 cutecreativegal

cutecreativegal

Train Attendant

• Training
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 21 March 2010 - 11:04 PM

Hi all,

I've been thinking about doing a Amtrak trip in the coming months. Something I've thought about doing for awhile to see sights I'd just never see anywhere else in my lifetime.

I would either do a short New Orleans > DC > Chicago > New Orleans trip, or a longer New Orleans > LA > Portland > Chicago > New Orleans one.

Anyway, to my question. See, I like to keep to myself most of time. I'm a pretty quiet and shy person. I want to ride the trains so I can see the country-side, not worry about trying to have a conversation with a stranger(s) over a meal multiple times on a trip. It's just something I don't do well with.

So with the roomette's, are you able to eat all of your trip's meals in the room? I took the Sunset Limited from New Orleans to Houston back in 2005 and was able to get dinner in my roomette, but didn't know if that was just a nice CA or if that's a normal thing to request and still doable these days.

Thanks for reading.

-Shaun

You most certainly can have your meals in the roomette if you prefer. Just let your Sleeping Car Attendant know, and tip extra for the service. We tipped $5 or $10. Enjoy your trip!

So you tip 5 or 10 per meal in the roomettte? Also when dining in the car, do you just do the tip like in a restaurant and leave it on the table?

#24 sunchaser

sunchaser

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,720 posts
  • Interests:Jesus, husband, children & grandchildren. Worship through music, my pets. Archaeology, Ocean, Mountains, camping, cooking & baking. Avid reader, like to learn new things, helping others. (if I can)

Posted 21 March 2010 - 11:25 PM

Hi all,

I've been thinking about doing a Amtrak trip in the coming months. Something I've thought about doing for awhile to see sights I'd just never see anywhere else in my lifetime.

I would either do a short New Orleans > DC > Chicago > New Orleans trip, or a longer New Orleans > LA > Portland > Chicago > New Orleans one.

Anyway, to my question. See, I like to keep to myself most of time. I'm a pretty quiet and shy person. I want to ride the trains so I can see the country-side, not worry about trying to have a conversation with a stranger(s) over a meal multiple times on a trip. It's just something I don't do well with.

So with the roomette's, are you able to eat all of your trip's meals in the room? I took the Sunset Limited from New Orleans to Houston back in 2005 and was able to get dinner in my roomette, but didn't know if that was just a nice CA or if that's a normal thing to request and still doable these days.

Thanks for reading.

-Shaun

You most certainly can have your meals in the roomette if you prefer. Just let your Sleeping Car Attendant know, and tip extra for the service. We tipped $5 or $10. Enjoy your trip!

So you tip 5 or 10 per meal in the roomette? Also when dining in the car, do you just do the tip like in a restaurant and leave it on the table?

Yes & Yes. The Sleeping Car Attendant has to take the time to bring you the menu, then go order it & pick it up for you & bring it to you. Meanwhile, they have others to tend to besides you. If there is someone in the H room, most of the time they take their meals in their room too. Last summer on the Coast Starlight, there was a couple who took all of their meals in their bedroom. They had the door & curtains closed the whole trip, too. I figured since the SCA is giving extra of their time, I want to reward them for it. I know it's considered part of the service for the sleepers, but I want them to know they are appreciated for their efforts.
In the dining car, we tip because even though they do get paid, they are on duty for long hours, and just like the SCA, they are basically 'on the clock' for the duration of the trip. I don't think they even get official breaks.

event.png

Trains we have taken: California Zephyr (8 times)-7 bedrooms/1 roomette, Coast Starlight (6 times)- 6 bedrooms, Amtrak Cascades, (5 times) Business Class

Heber Creeper (1)
'I'm packed, tickets in hand, I'm ready to go-Is it train time yet?'
Sunchaser

#25 cutecreativegal

cutecreativegal

Train Attendant

• Training
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 22 March 2010 - 12:22 AM

Hi all,

Thanks for reading.

-Shaun

So you tip 5 or 10 per meal in the roomette? Also when dining in the car, do you just do the tip like in a restaurant and leave it on the table?

Yes & Yes. The Sleeping Car Attendant has to take the time to bring you the menu, then go order it & pick it up for you & bring it to you. Meanwhile, they have others to tend to besides you. If there is someone in the H room, most of the time they take their meals in their room too. Last summer on the Coast Starlight, there was a couple who took all of their meals in their bedroom. They had the door & curtains closed the whole trip, too. I figured since the SCA is giving extra of their time, I want to reward them for it. I know it's considered part of the service for the sleepers, but I want them to know they are appreciated for their efforts.
In the dining car, we tip because even though they do get paid, they are on duty for long hours, and just like the SCA, they are basically 'on the clock' for the duration of the trip. I don't think they even get official breaks.

Ok, thank you very much for the information. I am going to try to eat in the dining car, but like the original poster, i am not to good with small talk and talking to strangers. But i'm gonna try it out and. I'll be on the train for 3 days, so if the dining car experience sucks, then i can just eat in my room.

#26 GG-1

GG-1

Engineer

• Forum Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,257 posts
  • Interests:PRR GG1 and riding the rails to "see the USA in your Chev".....Train

Posted 22 March 2010 - 12:48 AM

Ok, thank you very much for the information. I am going to try to eat in the dining car, but like the original poster, i am not to good with small talk and talking to strangers. But i'm gonna try it out and. I'll be on the train for 3 days, so if the dining car experience sucks, then i can just eat in my room.

Aloha

Good for you I like the others believe you will find the entire experience wonderful. My 8 year old Granddaughter gets her first Long Distance ride next July.

Eric

Eric aka GG-1, Aloha, Mahalo = Thanks

Picture Galleries Posted Image

#27 DKpartyguy

DKpartyguy

Train Attendant

• Training
  • Pip
  • 39 posts

Posted 22 March 2010 - 03:07 PM

I feel that if Shaun wants to enjoy his meals in the peace and quiet of his roomette, he should do so.
I also do not like having to make small talk/conversation with total strangers.
However, I always have my meals in the dining car. I have tried to have some of my meals delivered to me in my roomette, but often the sleeping car attendant is nowhere to be found.
I have tried using the attendant call button in the room several times and it has yet to summon an attendant to my roomette.
On one trip aboard the Crescent recently, they announced lunch as starting at I believe, 11:30.
I rang the button for the attendant. I don't ever eat lunch that early, so I thought that would give the attendant plenty of time to get to me.
I rang again at 12:30, still no attendant.
Finally, I went into the dining car at around 1:15 and had a nice lunch. Since it was late, I got a table all to my self, which was great.
I did't see the attendant until the next morning!
That's what I usually do, go at the latest possible time, especially for dinner.
I often get a table to myself that way.
But, I have never had a really bad experience sitting with strangers, I must say.
On several occasions, it was actually a lot of fun.
I was once aboard the Crescent, and was seated with a young newlywed couple.
They were on their way to New Orleans for their honeymoon.
Since they had never been there before, they spent the whole dinner asking me about where to go, where to eat in new Orleans, etc. It was a very fun dinner, as it gave me a chance to talk about New Orleans, one of my favorite places.
Anyway, I wonder if Shaun can't find an attendant, can you order you meal "to go" in the dining car and take it back to your roommette yourself?

David

:cool:

#28 rrdude

rrdude

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,175 posts
  • Interests:I like riding trains, in First Class, Sleeper, or Coach. (If just a short jaunt) I expect courteous service, equipment that works, arriving close to "on time", & clean windows. Is that too much to ask for?

Posted 22 March 2010 - 04:31 PM

I feel that if Shaun wants to enjoy his meals in the peace and quiet of his roomette, he should do so.
However, I always have my meals in the dining car. I have tried to have some of my meals delivered to me in my roomette, but often the sleeping car attendant is nowhere to be found.
I have tried using the attendant call button in the room several times and it has yet to summon an attendant to my roomette.
On one trip aboard the Crescent recently, they announced lunch as starting at I believe, 11:30.
I rang the button for the attendant. I don't ever eat lunch that early, so I thought that would give the attendant plenty of time to get to me.
Finally, I went into the dining car at around 1:15 and had a nice lunch. Since it was late, I got a table all to my self, which was great.
That's what I usually do, go at the latest possible time, especially for dinner.
But, I have never had a really bad experience sitting with strangers, I must say.
Since they had never been there before, they spent the whole dinner asking me about where to go, where to eat in new Orleans, etc. It was a very fun dinner, as it gave me a chance to talk about New Orleans, one of my favorite places.
Anyway, I wonder if Shaun can't find an attendant, can you order you meal "to go" in the dining car and take it back to your roommette yourself?

David

Yes you can get them "to go". While working on board, we used to call this "Upstairs" as in "Prepare a meal for upstairs......." Usually the SCA took it, but sometimes a pax would make that request themselves.

#29 sunchaser

sunchaser

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,720 posts
  • Interests:Jesus, husband, children & grandchildren. Worship through music, my pets. Archaeology, Ocean, Mountains, camping, cooking & baking. Avid reader, like to learn new things, helping others. (if I can)

Posted 22 March 2010 - 04:49 PM

One of the reasons hubby really wanted bedrooms was because he wasn't sure if he would like sitting with strangers in the diner. Most of the time, you can sit with someone who will not talk or talk very little. We have sat with some delightful retirees that were so sweet & fun that makes the dinner even more enjoyable. We have now taken 6 train rides and only had one meal in our sleeper. I think he kind of likes meeting new people & chatting with them over a meal.

event.png

Trains we have taken: California Zephyr (8 times)-7 bedrooms/1 roomette, Coast Starlight (6 times)- 6 bedrooms, Amtrak Cascades, (5 times) Business Class

Heber Creeper (1)
Sunchaser

#30 RRrich

RRrich

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,550 posts

Posted 22 March 2010 - 05:29 PM

My wife has a mobility impairment and I am not the most sociable of folks. When we travel together we frequently eat in out room. When I travel without wifey (and she has a hen party at home) I NEVER eat in my room.

Eating in the dining car with Amtrak seating is one of the things that I enjoy on Amtrak :D

Time flies like an Arrow
Fruit Flies like a Banana

#31 jmbgeg

jmbgeg

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,164 posts

Posted 23 March 2010 - 06:04 AM

David

Yes you can get them "to go". While working on board, we used to call this "Upstairs" as in "Prepare a meal for upstairs......." Usually the SCA took it, but sometimes a pax would make that request themselves.

The manner in which meals are delivered to the room varies. In some cases, the SCA carries the meal on a tray. On others, they have white bags they pack the meal(s) in. If packing the meals in the bags was standard practice on all LD trains I would glad pick up my own meals to go and not as frequently call upon the SCA to deliver to the room.
jmb<br /><br /><span style='font-family: Palatino Linotype'>Select Plus Traveling the Empire Builder, Coast Starlight, Cascades, California Zephyr, San Joaquins, Capitol Limited, Southwest Chief and Lakeshore Limited</span>

#32 sunchaser

sunchaser

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,720 posts

Posted 23 March 2010 - 03:45 PM

My wife has a mobility impairment and I am not the most sociable of folks. When we travel together we frequently eat in out room. When I travel without wifey (and she has a hen party at home) I NEVER eat in my room.

Eating in the dining car with Amtrak seating is one of the things that I enjoy on Amtrak :D

What's a Hen Party?

event.png

Heber Creeper (1)
Sunchaser

#33 ayndim

ayndim

Train Attendant

• Training
  • Pip
  • 37 posts

Posted 23 March 2010 - 10:47 PM

What's a Hen Party?

It is the British equivalent of a bachelorette party.

#34 sunchaser

sunchaser

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,720 posts

Posted 23 March 2010 - 10:56 PM

What's a Hen Party?

Oh thank you. I pictured something totally different. :D (I know, crazy Americans don't know anything!!!!)

event.png

Heber Creeper (1)
Sunchaser

#35 Rail Freak

Rail Freak

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,911 posts
  • Interests:Experiencing the country by RAIL!!!
    U.S. & Native American History

Posted 24 March 2010 - 06:07 PM

What's a Hen Party?

More like a Tupperware Party.
RF

A Rookie No More! But Still A Lot Of Track To Travel !!!
Silver Meteor #97(5) & #98 (4), Silver Star #91 (2), Capitol Limited #29 & #30(4), Empire Builder #7,#8,#27(2) &#28(4) Coast Starlight #11 (5) & #14(5), California Zephyr #5 (2) & #6 (4), Cascades #506, City of New Orleans #58 (1) #59 (2), South West Chief #3 (3), Lake Shore Limited #49, Maple Leaf #63 San Joaquin #714, Pacific Surfliner #774, Texas Eagle #422, Cardinal #50, Crescent #19, Sunset Limited #1. Approx. 53,591 miles & 41 states!

HAVE FUN

#36 GG-1

GG-1

Engineer

• Forum Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,257 posts
  • Interests:PRR GG1 and riding the rails to "see the USA in your Chev".....Train

Posted 25 March 2010 - 02:39 AM

What's a Hen Party?

More like a Tupperware Party.
RF

Aloha

The description made me think of musical number in 76 trombones. :rolleyes: Sorry I can't think of the number's Tittle

Eric aka GG-1, Aloha, Mahalo = Thanks

Picture Galleries Posted Image

#37 amtrakwolverine

amtrakwolverine

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,974 posts
  • Interests:trains,music,guitars

Posted 25 March 2010 - 02:42 AM

more like the women get together over poker and talk about us men or boys and our playing with trains LOL

#38 TouchToneTommy

TouchToneTommy

Train Attendant

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 26 March 2010 - 12:12 AM

The description made me think of musical number in 76 trombones. :rolleyes: Sorry I can't think of the number's Tittle

Pick a little, talk a little
http://www.youtube.c...feature=related

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users