Los Angeles Union Station

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steve_relei

Lead Service Attendant
This is actually two questions:

LAUPT is an extremely busy station with lots of train action. Is there any place a person can go to watch all this activity without going onto the platforms or going places the public should not go? Are there any over passes, pedestrian bridges/walkways that railfans can use to watch trains safely and legally around the station?

Also, if you (and you were a tourist) had only ONE day to spend in the Los Angeles area, what kinds of things would you do (Hollywood? Movie studios? Beaches? etc?) ?

When I take the train down to L.A. and do the tourist thing, I usually walk around Hollywood. You can look at the plaques in the sidewalk on the walk of fame and go to Mann's Chinese Theater and see the footprints of actors and actresses. You can also sometimes go to tapings of TV shows there (I think you can always get tickets for that night's taping of "Jimmy Kimmel Live" because nobody else wants to go), although you're probably better off writing in advance for tickets to a real show and going to a network studio in Burbank or somewhere.

I also like to go to Pasadena on the subway and walk around Caltech. Then again, I'm weird that way.

steve

Although I have been to LA Union station only once, I too am planning on coming a few more times, next year. I am looking for things to do there as well, like the tourist bit.

Any places to go on the MTA or subways and rails? Are they safe? My step father wanted to get from the airport to Union station in the evening, the airport information person said not to take the train because its not good. Is it really that bad? Or is it just fine. I've done NYC numerous times.

Chris.

I just went to Los Angeles in October from my home on the east coast for the first time in 13 years, to attend a family wedding. While there for the weekend I rode every L.A. Metro line, as well as took a round trip to Riverside on Metrolink (the commuter rail operator) over two different routes. And took my first trip on a Surfliner, between Van Nuys and L.A. Union Station.

Is it safe? Considering that the Metro Blue Line runs through South Central, Watts, and Compton, you would think not. But my son and I rode it after dark, and we felt no less safe than one would feel on transit lines here on the east coast. The same rules always apply, no matter where you go: Look like you know where you're going, and don't dress like you're rich. The only problem we had was panhandlers, but then you find them in every transit system in the country.

It was also my first time using Los Angeles Union Station (although I had visited there before just to check out the station). I don't think there is anyplace one can stand above the action. With the tracks elevated over the station, you have to have a good reason why you're going upstairs if you are not taking a train. But then, why not take a train? As long as you are carrying a Metro DayPass, you do have business on the island platform between Tracks 1 and 2 of the station because the Metro Gold Line uses those tracks. From there you can see the action on the other tracks. As for Metrolink, it is also a proof-of-payment system, so if you're carrying a valid ticket you have every right as a paying customer to be up at track level. In the unlikely event a fare inspector hassles you, jump on the nearest train.

The Metro Gold Line runs on a trestle from Tracks 1/2 towards Chinatown on its way to Pasadena. You can surely see the Amtrak and Metrolink action from this trestle. Buy your DayPass and then just ride back and forth between LAUS and Chinatown; you won't miss too much that way.

I was a tourist there, and I did have just one day to spend. I agree that Hollywood is a good place to kill time. It always was, but now that you have the Metro Red Line stopping at Hollywood/Highland and Hollywood/Vine, that area is even more accessible. I also suggest for an overview of Los Angeles you take the Metro Red Line or Blue Line to 7th/Flower/Metro Center/Julian Dixon, and then walk to the Westin Bonaventure Hotel, which has a revolving restaurant on the top level.

Two places to eat downtown: the Grand Central Market (closest to the Pershing Square Red Line station, or a mall at 7th & Figueroa called 7-Fig, near the aforementioned Metro Center station.

Between the Pershing Square station and Grand Central Market, you'll also see the lower station of the Angel's Flight funicular, which closed in 2001 when its two cars crashed into one another, killing one. I read someplace that it may reopen next year.

YOU CAN ALSO RIDE THE RED LINE STRAIGHT TO UNIVERSAL STUDIOS. I DID THAT TWO YEARS AGO. A GREAT WAY TO KILL A LOT OF TIME ( I HAD 9 HOURS). UNFORTUNATELY DOWNTOWN LA OFFERS NOTHING TO DO.

HOWEVER, I ALSO SUGGEST GOING ACROSS THE STREET FROM THE STATION TO "OLVERA STREET". IT IS THE OLDEST STREET IN LA I THINK. ANYWAYS, ITS A MEXICAN OUTDOOR MARKET. CAN HAVE A MEAL, DRINKS, BUY SOUVENIERS. AFTER THAT JUST RELAX IN UNION STATION'S COURTYARD WHILE WAITING FOR YOUR TRAIN. THAT IS MY FAVORITE THING ABOUT LA UNION STATION.

ONE THING I HAVE NEVER DONE IN LAX, IS EAT AT THE STATION RESTAURANT "TRAXX". CAN ANYONE TELL ME HOW IT IS? :unsure: :unsure:

YOUNG FAITHFUL said:
ONE THING I HAVE NEVER DONE IN LAX, IS EAT AT THE STATION RESTAURANT "TRAXX". CAN ANYONE TELL ME HOW IT IS? :unsure: :unsure:
I LOVE Traxx - it is my favorite restaurant. Their food is great (although a bit pricey) and I make it a point to eat there every time I'm at Union Station. Unfortunately they were closed for dinner the Wednesday night before Thanksgiving this year and the Sunday after when I was there. Sign said they were on vacation. Man, what a disappointment! I wonder if they took the train, though...

Also, I know that Olvera (however you spell it) Street--the old Mexican part of town--is across the street from the station and is a popular tourist Mecca and a place to get a good Mexican dinner and Mexican crafts and such.

I just got back from LA. We rode the Pacific Surfliner, Business Class. It was wonderful! TV behind every seat, free soda and snacks, free newspaper, attendants meeting your every need...wonderful! They have a route that goes to San Diego from Los Angeles along the coast line. The only small problem I had was it seemed to drive very fast at certain times and I am a chicken. But overall---WOW!

If I remeber correctly the Maximum Speed Permitted in some areas out there is 90, which isn't too bad.

Just got back from trip yesterday.

Rode on Metrolink San Bernardino to LAUS and I had half of a day of free time in LAUS, so, my friend and I went to Grand Central Market (get off Pershing Square on Red Line [subway] and walk toward the newest skyscraper building where's the historical Angels Landing is) and ate wonderful authentic Mexican lunch. It's definitely wonderful! Also, they have Chinese foods and produce stands.

After that, we went on Red Line to Hollywood/Highland to look at Hollywood stuffs, even weird people. I noticed that Mann's Chinese Theater were setting up barricade and found out that they're showing The Blade: Trinity. I did not have time because my SW Chief is leaving at 6:45 pm.

I agree with Superliner Diner about Blue Line at night, just wearing a casual and simple clothes and use your common sense, it shouldn't be no problem.

I could go to Queen Mary to take a look by using Red Line to Blue Line, San Diego by either Metrolink/San Diego Coaster or Surfliner, Santa Barbara on Surfliner, ride one of Metrolink trains, Gold Line which it opened several months ago (I was going to do but haven't got a chance), walk around in Oliveria St. or downtown, etc.

For the beach, you can take on Metrolink Orange County, but you'll have to look at the schedule. A lot of them occurred during rush hours.

Back