Via rail 6400 wrecked totaled

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A tidbit from youtube.

comment

"The derailment was near St-Charles-de-Bellechasse, near Quebec City. I was told that the VIA train was taking the siding at 70mph. They had apparently missed the signal because it was snow covered. At least that's what I was told"

News clip from Montréal CTV News CFCF-TV: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pNL25qb8BJY

Considering it was hauling the ever popular Halifax - Montréal 'Ocean' I bet everyone is thankful there weren't more serious injuries amongst passengers and crew.

From the Toronto Star:

Via train jumps tracks, smashes into Quebec homePublished On Fri Feb 26 2010

SAINT-CHARLES-DE-BELLECHASSE, Que.–Federal accident investigators picked through the debris Thursday of a Via Rail passenger train that jumped the tracks, clipped a house and plowed through a two-car garage.

A huge grey locomotive sat where two cars – now little more than scrap metal – were parked.

No one was injured in the house, but Elizabeth Huart, a spokeswoman for Via Rail, said late Thursday afternoon five passengers and two Via employees were treated in hospital for minor injuries and released.

Rose-Anne Cameron, who lives in the house, thought she had been caught in an earthquake.

"I was getting ready to make a coffee when everything started to shake in the house," she said. "I heard the mirrors breaking, the dishes breaking, the electricity went out.

Cameron's dog dallied when she took him out in the morning. If he had been five minutes quicker, she said, she would have been following her normal routine, getting ready in the bathroom, which was destroyed.

Many of the 120 passengers were asleep when the Halifax-to-Montreal train began to shake before derailing about 4:45 a.m. near St-Charles-de-Bellechasse, southeast of Quebec City.

Seven cars – five passenger cars and two locomotives – left the track. One engine toppled onto its side, leaving a pool of diesel fuel.

"There was an uproar which lasted 30 seconds but it felt like 10 minutes," said passenger Carole Ouellet. "When the accident happened, there were literally people flying around in the car. It's a miracle that nobody was injured seriously."

..continues

Last edited by a moderator:
Back