What Type of ID ( if any) is needed?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cutecreativegal

Train Attendant
I read somewhere that they don't check ID and somewhere else that they do.

Which is correct? I assume they would check to match the name on the ticket to the photo ID.

Also, I read that there are random ticket checks. So does that mean i need to walk around with my ticket, or just go get it, if i am asked for it and it isn't on me?

Sorry this is the third question i have posted, things just keep popping in my head.

The only time they would do an ID check is when the Conductor collects your ticket.

Maybe I've been lucky, but the only time I've been asked for ID is in NOL before going out to the train, by a Police Officer, who was checking everyone's ID of those boarding. But I've never been asked on the train.

Name on the ticket must match the name on the ID. It really depends on where you board, at PHL they check your ticket at the stairs. The ticket must read train number and date. As far as what kind of ID. I would bring a driver's licence, school ID, or a passport.

Steve

If I remember correctly, they checked our ID when we picked up our tickets at the station. You can use State ID, Driver's License, Student ID. I would carry your ticket(s) around with you onboard. Same with your cash, etc. I have not been asked for tickets or ID onboard other than by the conductor lifting tickets, but it's probably a good idea to have them available if someone wants to verify where you are supposed to be.

The only time they would do an ID check is when the Conductor collects your ticket.
Maybe I've been lucky, but the only time I've been asked for ID is in NOL before going out to the train, by a Police Officer, who was checking everyone's ID of those boarding. But I've never been asked on the train.
Why would they ask you for an I.D. , you are on the train so much they probably think you work for Amtrak!!! :p

This weekend me, my wife and my daughter took a short point run,my wife and I were asked for ID but not my daughter. the conductor jokingly told my daughter that

as long as she would claim us that was ok with him. We had a nice ride :D

We showed our state issue drivers liscense

Last edited by a moderator:
Also, I read that there are random ticket checks. So does that mean i need to walk around with my ticket, or just go get it, if i am asked for it and it isn't on me?
The conductors are reasonable people. Just make sure you know where your ticket stub is at.

Why would they ask you for an I.D. , you are on the train so much they probably think you work for Amtrak!!! :p

This weekend me, my wife and my daughter took a short point run,my wife and I were asked for ID but not my daughter. the conductor jokingly told my daughter that

as long as she would claim us that was ok with him. We had a nice ride :D

We showed our state issue drivers liscense
:lol: :lol: We're not there yet!! But it is funny when they know you by name because they see you so much!!! :lol: :lol:

Good idea to bring your ticket stub to the diner when you have your meals - I can't always remember my car and room number.

Never had a problem with Id - if the conductor asks I show my State Drivers license. No Problem

If I am a student and don't have my id yet but i do have a school id, is that okay too?

Last edited:
Good idea to bring your ticket stub to the diner when you have your meals - I can't always remember my car and room number.
I have been asked to show my sleeper ticket stub a few times, in the dining car.

Plus, to the OP, if you used a discount to buy your tickets, based on membership with some organization, be prepared to show a membership card or whatever.

From Amtrak:

What is a Valid ID?To be valid, your identification must be current and in-force. The following forms of identification are acceptable for persons 18 and older:

•  
  • One piece of photo identification issued by a government authority, or
  • Two pieces of identification, at least one of which is issued by a government authority

Examples of acceptable forms of ID include:

•  
  • State or provincial driver's license
  • Passport
  • Official government-issued identification (federal, state or county government or foreign government)
  • Canadian provincial health card ID card with photo
  • Military photo ID
  • Student identification (university, college or high school photo ID)
  • Job Corps photo ID

I have only been asked once for an ID while on the train. It was by the conductor who was collecting tickets. (I do not remember which train, but might have been on the SWC on my way to last year's gathering.) I showed my Florida Driver's license, which apparently looks enough like me to pass. :lol:

When I pick up tickets at PHL or where ever it might be. I show my Firefighter ID and they could care less. The only difference is that my name is spelled wrong. Instead of "Stephen" it's spelled "Steven". My pictures on it so they never question it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back