Tipping Red Cap??

21 replies to this topic

#1 Idon'tFly

Idon'tFly

Train Attendant

• Training
  • Pip
  • 31 posts
  • Interests:NEWBIE...Love traveling but will (probably) never fly. My 3rd Amtrak trip is coming up soon!!

Posted 13 February 2010 - 02:44 PM

One last question, I promise. What is the proper procedure or amount to tip the "red cap" that helps with your luggage and helps your family board the train??

Happy Travels!! :)
Newbie Out!

Silver Meteor 97/98

#2 MrFSS

MrFSS

Engineer

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,051 posts

Posted 13 February 2010 - 02:52 PM

One last question, I promise. What is the proper procedure or amount to tip the "red cap" that helps with your luggage and helps your family board the train??

It depends on several things:

How many bags do you have?
How big and heavy are the bags?
How far is it from where they started the service to where they drop you off?
How good/poor was the service they provided?

On average I would think $1-2 a bag for normal service.

I haven't used the service that many times, but I see it being used and I don't think Rd Caps will actually take your bags into the train for you, only up to the door. I may be wrong about that, but that's my impression from what I've seen.

I know others will have opinions about this, too.

#3 RRrich

RRrich

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,550 posts

Posted 13 February 2010 - 02:55 PM

My memory is that the Redcaps take your bag into your room - I usually give $5

Time flies like an Arrow
Fruit Flies like a Banana

#4 the_traveler

the_traveler

Engineer

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,571 posts
  • Interests:Planning my next trip

Posted 13 February 2010 - 03:06 PM

The times I used Red Caps, they usually take my bags right to my seat or room! I also give $1-$2 per bag as they're leaving!
Take it easy .......

Take the train instead!

#5 Rail Freak

Rail Freak

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,997 posts
  • Interests:Experiencing the country by RAIL!!!
    U.S. & Native American History

Posted 13 February 2010 - 04:40 PM

I've never had a Red Cap offer to take my bags onto the train, even when I needed the H - Room!
RF
I've always tipped $2 per bag.

A Rookie No More! But Still A Lot Of Track To Travel !!!
Silver Meteor #97(5) & #98 (4), Silver Star #91 (2), Capitol Limited #29 & #30(4), Empire Builder #7,#8,#27(2) &#28(4) Coast Starlight #11 (6) & #14(5), California Zephyr #5 (2) & #6 (5), Cascades #506, City of New Orleans #58 (1) #59 (2), South West Chief #3 (3), Lake Shore Limited #49, Maple Leaf #63 San Joaquin #714, Pacific Surfliner #774, Texas Eagle #422, Cardinal #50, Crescent #19, Sunset Limited #1. Approx. 55,730 miles & 41 states!

HAVE FUN

#6 jmbgeg

jmbgeg

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,164 posts

Posted 13 February 2010 - 07:19 PM

It depends on several things:

How many bags do you have?
How big and heavy are the bags?
How far is it from where they started the service to where they drop you off?
How good/poor was the service they provided?

On average I would think $1-2 a bag for normal service.

I haven't used the service that many times, but I see it being used and I don't think Rd Caps will actually take your bags into the train for you, only up to the door. I may be wrong about that, but that's my impression from what I've seen.

I know others will have opinions about this, too.

I am interested in the distance issue. Using CUS as a standard, in scenario 1 assume that there are three average bags from the Metropolitan Lounge to a sleeper. In 2, assume it is from a long distance train to a street side cab. Tip comments?
jmb<br /><br /><span style='font-family: Palatino Linotype'>Select Plus Traveling the Empire Builder, Coast Starlight, Cascades, California Zephyr, San Joaquins, Capitol Limited, Southwest Chief and Lakeshore Limited</span>

#7 the_traveler

the_traveler

Engineer

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,571 posts

Posted 13 February 2010 - 08:09 PM

I still go with the $1-$2 per bag rate for either one.
Take it easy .......

Take the train instead!

#8 AlanB

AlanB

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,851 posts

Posted 14 February 2010 - 12:40 AM

I've never used a redcap on a sleeper train, but I've seen plenty of redcaps on the train at originating stations putting bags into either the rack or the passenger's room. A bit depends on how much time is available.

Riding Acela out of Boston though I almost always use a redcap, since Boston keeps playing games with their boarding rules at the gate. So I just find it easier to grab a redcap to ensure my pick of seat in the FC car and avoid any gate hassles. The redcaps always bring my bag into the car and put it in the overhead compartment for me.
Alan,

Take care and take trains!

#9 Trogdor

Trogdor

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,028 posts

Posted 14 February 2010 - 12:46 AM

I believe the proper "procedure" is you hand them cash.
Posted Image

#10 ThayerATM

ThayerATM

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 600 posts

Posted 14 February 2010 - 12:50 AM

I've never used a redcap on a sleeper train, but I've seen plenty of redcaps on the train at originating stations putting bags into either the rack or the passenger's room. A bit depends on how much time is available.

Riding Acela out of Boston though I almost always use a redcap, since Boston keeps playing games with their boarding rules at the gate. So I just find it easier to grab a redcap to ensure my pick of seat in the FC car and avoid any gate hassles. The redcaps always bring my bag into the car and put it in the overhead compartment for me.

As we were boarding the LSL last Wednesday afternoon in NYP (the snow was really coming down outside) we were really pressed for time. The redcap picked up our luggage at Club Acela at 3:37 for a train departure time of 3:45. We made it with a couple of minutes to spare, and he did carry our luggage right into our bedroom. He was tipped appropriately. :D

#11 ThayerATM

ThayerATM

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 600 posts

Posted 14 February 2010 - 12:53 AM

What else are you gonna do? Ask them if they take AMEX? :cool:

#12 the_traveler

the_traveler

Engineer

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,571 posts

Posted 14 February 2010 - 03:56 AM

They only take the AGR MasterCard! :lol:
Take it easy .......

Take the train instead!

#13 Idon'tFly

Idon'tFly

Train Attendant

• Training
  • Pip
  • 31 posts
  • Interests:NEWBIE...Love traveling but will (probably) never fly. My 3rd Amtrak trip is coming up soon!!

Posted 14 February 2010 - 08:22 AM

They only take the AGR MasterCard! :lol:

Hahaha...making fun of the newbie!! I wasn't sure if tipping was allowed, so I asked. :)

Thanks for the great info ppl! This discussion board has helped me soooo much!!

It's almost time for me to leave LI for NYP...I'm soooooo excited!!
Newbie Out!

Silver Meteor 97/98

#14 Rail Freak

Rail Freak

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,997 posts
  • Interests:Experiencing the country by RAIL!!!
    U.S. & Native American History

Posted 14 February 2010 - 08:24 AM

HAVE FUN!!!!!!!!!!! :)
RF

A Rookie No More! But Still A Lot Of Track To Travel !!!
Silver Meteor #97(5) & #98 (4), Silver Star #91 (2), Capitol Limited #29 & #30(4), Empire Builder #7,#8,#27(2) &#28(4) Coast Starlight #11 (6) & #14(5), California Zephyr #5 (2) & #6 (5), Cascades #506, City of New Orleans #58 (1) #59 (2), South West Chief #3 (3), Lake Shore Limited #49, Maple Leaf #63 San Joaquin #714, Pacific Surfliner #774, Texas Eagle #422, Cardinal #50, Crescent #19, Sunset Limited #1. Approx. 55,730 miles & 41 states!

HAVE FUN

#15 sunchaser

sunchaser

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,720 posts
  • Interests:Jesus, husband, children & grandchildren. Worship through music, my pets. Archaeology, Ocean, Mountains, camping, cooking & baking. Avid reader, like to learn new things, helping others. (if I can)

Posted 14 February 2010 - 08:46 AM

Have a great trip!!!!! :cool: :D :D

event.png

Trains we have taken: California Zephyr (8 times)-7 bedrooms/1 roomette, Coast Starlight (6 times)- 6 bedrooms, Amtrak Cascades, (5 times) Business Class

Heber Creeper (1)
'I'm packed, tickets in hand, I'm ready to go-Is it train time yet?'
Sunchaser

#16 dlagrua

dlagrua

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,955 posts
  • Interests:Skiing, Martial Arts, Knife Throwing, Car collecting, Train Travel, Visiting Historical sights, Cooking, Antiques, but above all love for friends and family.

Posted 14 February 2010 - 06:35 PM

There is only enough room in a bedroom or roomette for a couple of carry-ons so how can the Redcap be taking your luggage to the room. You'd have no room to sleep!!! We usually take two onboard with us and one laptop. Now if you check baggage with a redcap for pickup at the terminal destination I'll throw them $3 or $4 for the two suitcases.

#17 amamba

amamba

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,808 posts

Posted 14 February 2010 - 07:19 PM

I have only used a red cap in BOS - to take my bags onto the acela. I love using them because you get to pre-board before the masses. I particularly liked being helped by John - he was great. I always tip $5, even with just one or two bags. I think $5 should be the miminum tip based on the service you receive.

#18 librarian

librarian

Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 14 February 2010 - 08:59 PM

Last week, we were departing on the Coast Starlight from LAX, and were in the Traxx Restaurant where Sleeping Car passengers gather for boarding. About an hour before boarding, A Red Cap came into the area and walked up to us and asked if we needed Red Cap service. Remembering arrival, I said "yes" since the trip from the platform to the main waiting room seemed miles! He put a tag on our luggage saying "Ernie." At 9:30 he reappeared with his cart and pleasantly loaded us and our luggage and took us to the platform and placed us at a bench and said, "your car will be right here." When the train backed in, sure enough, we were right at the door. In transit, my wife poked me and whispered, "You had better give Ernie at least $ 10."

I did, and it seemed fair for the service provided, and for the successful continuation of my marriage.

#19 gswager

gswager

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,634 posts
  • Interests:mountain recreations, scuba diving, Christian,

Posted 14 February 2010 - 09:45 PM

During our AU Los Angeles Gathering 2 years ago, some of AU members and I used Red Cap because one of them has a disability. Riding on a golf cart with a luggage rack was a breeze!
Entire length in segments- Southwest Chief (LSV-LAX & CHI-LSV), Pacific Surfliner (SLO-LAX & LAX-SAN) & San Joaquin (Oakland stub)
Entire length, end to end- Lake Shore Limited (Boston stub) (11/09), Downeaster (11/09) & Coast Starlight (10/11)
Partial- California Zephyr (SLC-EMY), Hiawatha, Cascades (SEA-PDX) & Acela (BOS-PVD)

#20 RRrich

RRrich

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,550 posts

Posted 14 February 2010 - 10:12 PM

Wifey is mobility impaired - so in STL. KCY, ALB, CHI, LAX and any other stations where there is a long walk we use red ca service. Its worth it keep wifey happy.

I recently ran the KWD(KCY)-CBS to STL loophole. No redcaps but wifey stayed home to have a hen party.

Everyone was happy and next winter I;m planning the OMA-CBS loophole run and she is planning another her party. We have a good marriage :)

Time flies like an Arrow
Fruit Flies like a Banana

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users