A Note About Posts & Polls

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AlanB

Engineer
Honored Member
Time for a friendly note from your moderator.

I realize that the topic or poll of favorite Amtrak phase/color/paint schemes has come up several times over the last few years. After all I’ve been around these forums for almost 4 years now.

However, I must ask all members and guests to at least be tolerant of these polls. First off if for no other reason than, the fact that Anthony, Tristan, and I strive to maintain a civil bulletin board where anyone with even a passing interest in trains can come to ask a question, even if that question is “What is your favorite paint scheme”.

Secondly there are over 100 pages of topics on our Amtrak forum alone. So finding an old poll isn’t all that easy, especially if one isn’t familiar with how to properly use the search function. And the search function can be a little hard to figure out.

Thirdly, please consider the fact that a person’s opinion can change over time. Color schemes may grow on you as time goes on, therefore someone may not vote the same way they voted a year ago. I know that I’ve changed my mind in the last year and in all honesty I can’t even tell the difference between some of the phases. As far as I’m concerned my number one priority would be that Amtrak have every car in the same phase.

Next, please consider the fact that our membership is constantly growing. For some, this may well be the first time that they have seen this poll on Amtrak phases. So they are being asked for their opinion for the very first time. Especially since I rather doubt that most new members have the time and/or the inclination to read through all of the 2,251 topics that exist on the Amtrak forum alone.

Finally of course, no one is forcing anyone to vote in one of these polls. If anyone is tired of being asked the question, then simply don’t bother to cast a vote. This isn’t a Presidential Election where it is your patriotic duty to vote. Polls are simply intended to provide a fun way for members to sample the thoughts/likes/dislikes of their fellow railfans.

The point to my huge speech is simply this; I will not tolerate snide, flippant, or downright rude posts from either members or guests simply because you are tired of seeing this poll show up. If you are unhappy that the color/phase poll is making another run, then please just ignore it and don’t bother to cast a vote.

However I would encourage all of you to consider voting anyway for the reasons that I’ve cited above. I’m a firm believer that no question is too silly or too stupid if one doesn’t know the answer. People learn by asking questions.

But please don’t make derogatory posts about the poll. I have in the last two days deleted several posts from guests who can’t be tolerant of their fellow railfans. This is something that neither Anthony, Tristan, nor I will allow or tolerate.

And now I’ll climb down off of my soapbox and in the process thank all of those who do post useful, helpful information to the Amtrak Unlimited forums. :)

Thank you. I wonder if the just-past election ads which were all so inexcusably defamatory and designed for character assassination, and not for the purpose of actually informing people of the facts, has had a negative effect on the level of civility that the average person in this country seems to be using in daily conversation and correspondence. It certainly seems to be getting worse. 4 Billion dollars (the estimated total cost of the campaigns) spent to further divide us and to make us all hate each other. This is leadership? Go figure.

Back