#1 Superliner Diner

Superliner Diner

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,104 posts
  • Interests:None.

Posted 11 November 2004 - 05:17 PM

It was posted on the Pro-Rail Nebraska Yahoo Group that the Renzenberger Thruway van connection that runs between Kansas City and Omaha (Thruway runs 8505 & 8506) either has been cancelled or will be soon. The reason is that the operator has refused to make their vans ADA-compliant.

This connecting van served the CALIFORNIA ZEPHYR to & from the west at Omaha, and also connected with the MULES to & from the east and the SOUTHWEST CHIEF to & from the west at Kansas City.

#2 saxman

saxman

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,175 posts
  • Interests:Trains, planes, maps, and music

Posted 11 November 2004 - 08:32 PM

Well at least its not Amtraks doing of the cancellation. Any word of another carrier picking up the route. I know Jeferson Lines runs that route more often then not.

Chris

Amtrak Miles: 174,788

#3 Superliner Diner

Superliner Diner

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,104 posts
  • Interests:None.

Posted 12 November 2004 - 12:23 AM

I get the impression that it was Amtrak who terminated the contract with Rensenberger because they wanted the Thruway connection to be barrier free (accessible). If this is in fact true, and it was not a ridership issue, than I am sure Amtrak will search for another carrier. That seems to be a hot route, serving several different rail lines in K.C. & Omaha. For those going east-west on the MULES, it essentially extended that route west to Omaha. And those in the two largest Missouri cities could connect with the ZEPHYR in Omaha and proceed further west.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users