Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

Definition of High Speed

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#21 George Harris

George Harris

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,070 posts
  • Interests:Track, construction, schedules

Posted 02 February 2010 - 11:44 PM

That to some extent is indeed the case. But what is important for the FRA to do is finally admit that they are way behind everyone else, and finally agree to swallow their pride and NIH and start adopting stuff that is known to work elsewhere while making standards for higher speeds, instead of going off on their own merry way to la-la land. Heck in mixed traffic they can insist on positive train separation using split derailers at each signal if that is what it takes. But please do not come up with requirements that make the train so heavy that they become impractical to run at 220mph and even if they can get up there they are too energy inefficient and too damaging to the tracks to make the whole venture economically viable.

There are things I could say here that are based on some inside knowledge, but I must bite my tongue. There are people in the FRA that are well aware of what goes on in Europe, both the good and the not so good, and I will leave it at that.

The FRA is not near as backward as you would make it sound, and the Europeans are near as advanced as many suppose. What we should develop and end up with is the best of all worlds, US, European, and Japanese.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users