Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

Obama to Announce High-Speed Rail Plan Post-Speech

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#41 TVRM610

TVRM610

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,680 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 03:02 PM

VERY pleased with Obama's remarks on the trains.

"Eventually, the Southeast Corridor is expected to use Atlanta as a regional hub, with connections from Atlanta east to Charlotte, south to Macon and Jacksonville, north to Chattanooga, and west to Birmingham."

Woo!!!

And yet Georgia's only getting $750,000 for "studies." Here's a cazy idea, build the hub infrastructure and a connecting line first THEN go and build more.

Here's another idea... you have to study things before you build them.
<p>Amtrak <br>
Acela Express*, Cascades (Talgo) Service*, California Zephyr*, Capitol Limited*, Cardinal, Carolinian*, City of New Orleans*, Coast Starlight*, Crescent*, Downeaster, Empire Builder*, Illinois Zephyr*, Keystone Corridor*, Lake Shore Limited, Lincoln Service*, Maple Leaf*, NE Regional, Pacific Surfliner, Pennsylvanian, Piedmont*, River Cities, San Joaquin,  Silver Meteor*, Silver Star*, Saluki, Southwest Chief*, Texas Eagle. <br>
VIA <br>
Canadian* <br>
* = Ridden Complete route from end to end. <br>

#42 colobok

colobok

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 09:18 PM

VERY pleased with Obama's remarks on the trains.

"Eventually, the Southeast Corridor is expected to use Atlanta as a regional hub, with connections from Atlanta east to Charlotte, south to Macon and Jacksonville, north to Chattanooga, and west to Birmingham."

Woo!!!

And yet Georgia's only getting $750,000 for "studies." Here's a cazy idea, build the hub infrastructure and a connecting line first THEN go and build more.

Here's another idea... you have to study things before you build them.

So from $8B only Florida and California ($3.5) are some kind of HSR projects, the rest $4.5 will go for regular train improvements, am I right that this is inappropriate allocation?
Amtrak trains travelled: Silver Star, Silver Meteor, California Zephyr, Empire Builder, SouthWest Chief, Capitol Limited, Sunset Limited, Carolinian, Lake Shore Limited, Downeaster, Pacific Surfliner, San Joaquin, Cascades, Crescent, City of New Orleans, Pennsylvanian, Vermonter, Adirondack, Cardinal.
Other trains travelled in: Ukraine, Russia, Belarus, Lithuania, Latvia, Estonia, Poland, England.

#43 WICT106

WICT106

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 816 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 09:38 PM

So from $8B only Florida and California ($3.5) are some kind of HSR projects, the rest $4.5 will go for regular train improvements, am I right that this is inappropriate allocation?

According to them, and to how "Incrementally increased speed rail service" is defined, the regular train improvements are appropriate. Several of the members here, including myself, are in parts of the nation where we have only one departure per day, and it is at a 79 mph level. Madison, WI, has not had regular rail service since 1971, and, with this appropriation, we will finally get service. To me, that is appropriate.
"Be bold and courageous. When you look back on your life, you'll regret the things you didn't do more than the ones you did." - Unknown

#44 Green Maned Lion

Green Maned Lion

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,761 posts
  • Interests:Sleeping

Posted 28 January 2010 - 10:31 PM

Is this money going to shovel-ready projects, or is it going to states that Pres. Obama thinks he'll most need to get re-elected in '12?

I sincerely doubt that Obama is stupid enough to think he will be elected or not based upon the promise of systems that may or may not get built before the funding plug is pulled.

Truth be told, though, I think most of the projects awarded are reasonable. Only the Florida and California systems are pie-in-the-sky in nature. California, though, has put so much money into building a state-wide rail system that I tend to believe that the CHSR will become a reality. The proof is in the putting, and California has put a lot of trains on the road.

Florida, though... If it wasn't such a short system, I'd be positive it's just a dream. But even the idiots in Florida can probably lay down 86 miles of straight track over flat terrain. Of course, the fun part is they'll have their HSR... but no Amtrak service.
Travelled: Broadway Limited (1), Lake Shore Limited (6), Capitol Limited (7), Empire Builder (1), Southwest Chief (2), Sunset Limited (1), California Zephyr (3), Coast Starlight (2), Silver Meteor (5), Silver Star (5), Silver Palm (2), Crescent (1), Cardinal (4), Auto Train (4), Pennsylvanian (2), Palmetto (1), Acela Express (1), Empire Service (1), Northeast Regional (11), Keystone Service (1) --- Total Miles: 50,144 --- Total Trains: 61
Most important: Keep it Simple, Stupid!
Posted Image
Dream of love, dream of me, for you are my love. I love you.
Avatar and sig were done by my fiance, Corvidophile.

#45 Greg

Greg

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 29 January 2010 - 03:52 PM

Is this money going to shovel-ready projects, or is it going to states that Pres. Obama thinks he'll most need to get re-elected in '12?

I sincerely doubt that Obama is stupid enough to think he will be elected or not based upon the promise of systems that may or may not get built before the funding plug is pulled.

Truth be told, though, I think most of the projects awarded are reasonable. Only the Florida and California systems are pie-in-the-sky in nature. California, though, has put so much money into building a state-wide rail system that I tend to believe that the CHSR will become a reality. The proof is in the putting, and California has put a lot of trains on the road.

Florida, though... If it wasn't such a short system, I'd be positive it's just a dream. But even the idiots in Florida can probably lay down 86 miles of straight track over flat terrain. Of course, the fun part is they'll have their HSR... but no Amtrak service.

"Idiots in Florida"???? gee, thanks

#46 Long Train Runnin'

Long Train Runnin'

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,247 posts

Posted 29 January 2010 - 04:56 PM

You have to learn how to walk before you can run. Most of these allocations will help get things ready for future upgrades.
41,175 Miles on Amtrak in 43 states. 
Routes Traveled: Acela Express, Adirondack, Amtrak Cascades, California Zephyr, Capitol Limited, Cardinal, Carolinian, City of New Orleans, Coast Starlight, Crescent, Downeaster, Empire Builder, Empire Service, Ethan Allen Express, Hiawatha, Keystone Corridor, Lake Shore Limited, Northeast Regional, Maple Leaf, Missouri River Runner, Pacific Surfliner, Pennsylvanian, Silver Meteor, Southwest Chief, Springfield Shuttles, Texas Eagle, Vermonter.

#47 MikefromCrete

MikefromCrete

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,196 posts

Posted 29 January 2010 - 06:40 PM

You have to learn how to walk before you can run. Most of these allocations will help get things ready for future upgrades.

I agree. This is a good start to revitalizing passenger rail. It spreads the money around and gives a taste of better rail service to a variety of places. Money well spent if you ask me.

#48 VT Hokie

VT Hokie

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 296 posts

Posted 29 January 2010 - 06:44 PM

Surely $1.1 billion for Chicago - St Louis should go a long way, no? I wonder how long it'll be before we can ride 110 mph trains on that route.

#49 Rail Freak

Rail Freak

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,541 posts
  • Interests:Experiencing the country by RAIL!!!
    U.S. & Native American History

Posted 29 January 2010 - 07:45 PM

. But even the idiots in Florida can probably lay down 86 miles of straight track over flat terrain. Of course, the fun part is they'll have their HSR... but no Amtrak service.

Hey,Hey,Hey,LOL!!!!
RF :cool: :lol:

A Rookie No More! But Still A Lot Of Track To Travel !!!
Silver Meteor #97(6) & #98 (4), Silver Star #91 (2), Capitol Limited #29 & #30(6), Empire Builder #7,#8,#27(2) &#28(4) Coast Starlight #11 (6) & #14(5), California Zephyr #5 (2) & #6 (5), Cascades #506, City of New Orleans #58, #59 (2), South West Chief #3 (4), Lake Shore Limited #49, Maple Leaf #63, San Joaquin #714, Pacific Surfliner #774, Texas Eagle #422 (2), Cardinal #50, Crescent #19, Sunset Limited #1. Approx. 60,169 miles & 41 states!

#50 TVRM610

TVRM610

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,680 posts

Posted 29 January 2010 - 08:07 PM

Surely $1.1 billion for Chicago - St Louis should go a long way, no? I wonder how long it'll be before we can ride 110 mph trains on that route.

Oh yes... the money is going to good projects. The argument some people have seems to be what money is going to what they call "legitimate high speed rail" which is generally considered to be 150 or faster.

However, I have seen what a 110mph corridor can look like and how it can run (the Keystone Corridor) and I think this is the answer. You don't have to run trains at 150 or faster to have a great usable corridor. Chicago to St. Louis is a GREAT place for a 110mph corridor and I think all of this funding will be a great start to more passenger rail corridors in the USA.
<p>Amtrak <br>
Acela Express*, Cascades (Talgo) Service*, California Zephyr*, Capitol Limited*, Cardinal, Carolinian*, City of New Orleans*, Coast Starlight*, Crescent*, Downeaster, Empire Builder*, Illinois Zephyr*, Keystone Corridor*, Lake Shore Limited, Lincoln Service*, Maple Leaf*, NE Regional, Pacific Surfliner, Pennsylvanian, Piedmont*, River Cities, San Joaquin,  Silver Meteor*, Silver Star*, Saluki, Southwest Chief*, Texas Eagle. <br>
VIA <br>
Canadian* <br>
* = Ridden Complete route from end to end. <br>

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users