Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

Maple Leaf 63 v Empire Service 281

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 caravanman

caravanman

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,305 posts
  • Interests:Open minded travel, in which the journey is often as interesting as the destination...

Posted 23 January 2010 - 10:47 AM

Hi,

I am looking at a trip from NY Penn to Niagara Falls soon. There seem to be two reasonable options, The Maple Leaf 63 which sets off early, 7.15am, or the Empire Service 281, departing at 10.15am.

I guess the Maple Leaf looks the best bet to me, as we would arrive in the daylight, but I am wondering if there are any hidden advantages to the Empire Service?

Thanks,

Ed :cool:

Edited by caravanman, 23 January 2010 - 10:48 AM.

#2 AlanB

AlanB

Engineer

• Honored Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 29,379 posts

Posted 23 January 2010 - 12:28 PM

The Empire service train may not see an engine change, it will most likely run through with the P32. The Leaf will see an engine change at Albany.

The Leaf also runs with some Amfleet II cars, although you may still end up in an Amfleet I since you're not crossing the border. For such a long run however, you may want to opt for Business Class regardless of which train you decide upon, as you'll get the much nicer club seats.
Alan,

Take care and take trains!

#3 Long Train Runnin'

Long Train Runnin'

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,251 posts

Posted 23 January 2010 - 12:42 PM

It all depends on where you are that night. If you can make it to New York in time then I would take the leaf you have a chance at getting a nicer coach seat, but as Alan said its a pretty long trip and they both have the best BC seating around, so it may be worth the upgrade. Don't get me wrong I've done the trip twice in coach, and its not bad.
41,175 Miles on Amtrak in 43 states. 
Routes Traveled: Acela Express, Adirondack, Amtrak Cascades, California Zephyr, Capitol Limited, Cardinal, Carolinian, City of New Orleans, Coast Starlight, Crescent, Downeaster, Empire Builder, Empire Service, Ethan Allen Express, Hiawatha, Keystone Corridor, Lake Shore Limited, Northeast Regional, Maple Leaf, Missouri River Runner, Pacific Surfliner, Pennsylvanian, Silver Meteor, Southwest Chief, Springfield Shuttles, Texas Eagle, Vermonter.

#4 Bob Dylan

Bob Dylan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,452 posts
  • Interests:Passenger Trains/Travel/Sports/Gov't/ Politics/History/Reading/
    Movies/Music/Space-Ancient Aliens

Posted 23 January 2010 - 12:47 PM

I agree with going biz class, definitely worth it. Amfleet Is arent that comfortable as Alan said and this train can get very crowded when the weather is nice. Being in the cafe car is an advantage also. The fares can vary widely but Id say go with the Maple Leaf, you are assured of daylight for the run and arrival. :)

Edited by jimhudson, 23 January 2010 - 12:47 PM.

"There's Something About a Train! It's Magic!"-- 1970s Amtrak Ad
 "..My heart is warm with the friends I make,and better friends I'll not be knowing,
Yet there isn't a train I wouldn't take,No matter where its going!.." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

#5 Shanghai

Shanghai

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,878 posts

Posted 24 January 2010 - 07:57 AM

I like the early trains, so I would take the Maple Leaf.
Spirit of St Louis, Broadway Limited, Three Rivers, Cardinal, Lake Shore Limited, Silver Star, Pennsylvanian, Keystone, Silver Meteor, Regional, Acela, Capitol Limited, Hoosier State, Texas Eagle, Maple Leaf, Empire Service, Ethan Allen, Eurostar, TGV, BR, Orient Express, Netherlands Rail, SCNF, DSB, Deutsche Bahn, KCRC, MRT, MTR, California Zephyr, Carolinian, Missouri River Runner, Lincoln Service, Crescent, Sunset Limited, Empire Builder, Southwest Chief, Coast Starlight, Cascades, Pacific Surfliner, BART, CalTrain, NJ Transit, SEPTA, PATCO, Dinky, MBTA, Downeaster, UTA Trax, Heartland Flyer, Hiawatha, Illinois Zehpyr,Carl Sandburg, Piedmont, Vermonter, Metro North

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users