#1 the_traveler

the_traveler

Engineer

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,408 posts
  • Interests:Planning my next trip

Posted 13 January 2010 - 11:11 AM

Many know that the eastbound CL to WAS serves a "brunch". But I have read many reports that say things like

... we slept late until 10 ...

or

... I had snacks in the WAS Club Acela for my lunch ...

I just want to make everyone aware of the meal situation on the CL that day. And it is unique to only the eastbound CL!

A sleeper passenger is entitled to TWO meals that morning! (For example, you could have the first at 6:30 and the second at 10:30!) And unique to the CL, you order ANY item off the breakfast or lunch menu at ANY time during the abbreviated meal time. (I could be wrong about these times, but I think it runs like from 6:30 to 11:30.) Thus, you could have
  • eggs at 6:30, burger at 10:30
  • cereal at 7, french toast at 11
  • sandwich at 8, burger at 10
There is no need to skip lunch - if you don't want to! You are entitled to receive that meal with your sleeper fare!
Take it easy .......

Take the train instead and enjoy the ride!

#2 rail_rider

rail_rider

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 133 posts
  • Interests:Genealogy & Rail Travel

Posted 13 January 2010 - 03:16 PM

Thanks for the reminder Traveler! I have an AGR trip mid March on the EB CL and I had forgotten about the brunch. It's been awhile since I've headed East on the CL. The forum comes through again!
Amtrak Trains Ridden: Pennsylvanian (8), Capitol Limited (8), California Zephyr (6), Southwest Chief (2), Cardinal (3), Texas Eagle (10), Lincoln Service (2), Coast Starlight (1), Keystone Service (13), NEC Regional (18), City of New Orleans (2),
Acela (2), Missouri River Runner (2), Crescent (1), Sunset Limited (1) & Carolinian (1)

Amtrak Miles: 39,173 Never just a train trip... always an adventure!

Art

#3 Long Train Runnin'

Long Train Runnin'

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,240 posts

Posted 13 January 2010 - 04:54 PM

It is worth noting that regardless of how many meals you have one can't order dessert during brunch.
41,175 Miles on Amtrak in 43 states. 
Routes Traveled: Acela Express, Adirondack, Amtrak Cascades, California Zephyr, Capitol Limited, Cardinal, Carolinian, City of New Orleans, Coast Starlight, Crescent, Downeaster, Empire Builder, Empire Service, Ethan Allen Express, Hiawatha, Keystone Corridor, Lake Shore Limited, Northeast Regional, Maple Leaf, Missouri River Runner, Pacific Surfliner, Pennsylvanian, Silver Meteor, Southwest Chief, Springfield Shuttles, Texas Eagle, Vermonter.

#4 jmbgeg

jmbgeg

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,164 posts

Posted 13 March 2010 - 10:19 AM

Many know that the eastbound CL to WAS serves a "brunch". But I have read many reports that say things like

or

I just want to make everyone aware of the meal situation on the CL that day. And it is unique to only the eastbound CL!

A sleeper passenger is entitled to TWO meals that morning! (For example, you could have the first at 6:30 and the second at 10:30!) And unique to the CL, you order ANY item off the breakfast or lunch menu at ANY time during the abbreviated meal time. (I could be wrong about these times, but I think it runs like from 6:30 to 11:30.) Thus, you could have
There is no need to skip lunch - if you don't want to! You are entitled to receive that meal with your sleeper fare!

If I board at Cleveland eastbound would they serve breakfast before Chicago?
jmb<br /><br /><span style='font-family: Palatino Linotype'>Select Plus Traveling the Empire Builder, Coast Starlight, Cascades, California Zephyr, San Joaquins, Capitol Limited, Southwest Chief and Lakeshore Limited</span>

#5 AlanB

AlanB

Engineer

• Honored Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 29,334 posts

Posted 13 March 2010 - 01:21 PM

or

If you board an eastbound train at Cleveland, you'll never get to Chicago, at least not without backtracking.

However, if you meant westbound, then yes you'll get breakfast into Chicago.
Alan,

Take care and take trains!

#6 jmbgeg

jmbgeg

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,164 posts

Posted 13 March 2010 - 02:25 PM

or

Stuck on stupid. Meant westbound. :)

If you board an eastbound train at Cleveland, you'll never get to Chicago, at least not without backtracking.

However, if you meant westbound, then yes you'll get breakfast into Chicago.

Westbound. Stuck on stupid again.

Edited by jmbgeg, 13 March 2010 - 02:27 PM.

jmb<br /><br /><span style='font-family: Palatino Linotype'>Select Plus Traveling the Empire Builder, Coast Starlight, Cascades, California Zephyr, San Joaquins, Capitol Limited, Southwest Chief and Lakeshore Limited</span>

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users