Auto Train - Smoking

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shanghai

Engineer
I was surprized to read that all Amtrak trains are smoke free except the Auto Train.

Why would Amtrak permit smoking on the Auto Train but disallow it on all other trains?

I was surprized to read that all Amtrak trains are smoke free except the Auto Train.Why would Amtrak permit smoking on the Auto Train but disallow it on all other trains?
It makes no passenger stops. And the "smoking lounge" is a toxic disaster................

I'm a former, (and sometimes OP cigarette smoker), so smoke doesn't bother me at all, but on my last trip on the AT, I just happened to check out the "smoking lounge", and about lost a lung.

Because all other trains have (or could have) smoke breaks at certain stops every few hours. The AT only has a origination point and a destination point - there are no stops! (There is a crew change point, but passengers can not get off.)

Also, there is only one place on the train that you can smoke. And I think it has a separate ventilation system to the outside.

Also, there is only one place on the train that you can smoke. And I think it has a separate ventilation system to the outside.
Two places if you're in a sleeper, one if you're in coach. Both lounge cars have a smoker's penalty box, which is indeed vented to the outside. Doesn't mean that you might not notice the smell of smoke in the lounge, as some does slip out when the door is opened.

If they do a 15 minute crew change point at a station, why not just let people off for a midnight breather? Is it really that hard to get dispatch to put them on a platform track?

Rob, the issue is that most of the smokers in the world need a cigarette more often than once every eight hours. Most smokers will agree with that statement. This also assumes a perfect run, which doesn't always happen. When the lounges were rebuilt to Auto Train specs they were designed right, with a room that is ventilated the way all of the penalty boxes need to be set up. If you're upstairs in the lounge and you didn't know the penalty box was there, odds are you wouldn't even know it was there. I spent several hours in the large booth downstairs when I was coming home from an Internship back in 08, hardly noticed the smokers.

Additionally, when you make the Midnight stop not all doors open, there are designated crew members that get out to water the train. IIRC there is one person for the coaches and one for the sleepers. It would not be fun trying to coordinate everyone to that one door, and then keep them all corralled during the stop. Stops longer than five minutes people tend to wander, and that's not what you need.

Although I have never ridden Auto Train, I would venture to guess the platform at the service stop is not long enough to safely allow coming and going from all cars. She is one looooong train not even counting the Auto Racks.

Although I have never ridden Auto Train, I would venture to guess the platform at the service stop is not long enough to safely allow coming and going from all cars. She is one looooong train not even counting the Auto Racks.
Yeah, it is long. I have not ridden it, but I think (including the Auto Racks) it is something like 35-45 cars long! :eek:

Yeah, it is long. I have not ridden it, but I think (including the Auto Racks) it is something like 35-45 cars long! :eek:
What there is a second train The_TRavler has not ridden. :rolleyes:
He can't figure out how to get his automobile from West Kingston to Lorton :lol:

(Hmm, I suppose he could rent a car in Lorton, just to take it on the AutoTrain...)

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, it is long. I have not ridden it
It doesn't connect to other routes - and it would mean that I would actually have to :eek: drive :eek: - and I can't do a loophole routing! :p
Not only is there no loophole routing, you needs points for you and points for your car. The minimum points is 15,000, 10,000 for a car and 5,000 for coach. Bring a van/suv and you'll need 15,000 for the vehicle. Sleeper awards remain the same as for all one zone trips.

Yeah, it is long. I have not ridden it
It doesn't connect to other routes - and it would mean that I would actually have to :eek: drive :eek: - and I can't do a loophole routing! :p
Not only is there no loophole routing, you needs points for you and points for your car. The minimum points is 15,000, 10,000 for a car and 5,000 for coach. Bring a van/suv and you'll need 15,000 for the vehicle. Sleeper awards remain the same as for all one zone trips.
I'm sure someday the_traveler will be offered an AGR special where Hertz will give him 20,000 AGR points for a week-long car rental ... and he'll rent a car in Lorton and spend the points on AutoTrain round-trip AGR redemptions for the car!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back