How to get to the cruise terminal

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
H

Holly

Hello all! There are 6 of us arriving in February and need to find the best/cheapest way to get to the cruise terminals in Port Canaveral. Any suggestions?

Are you using the Orlando train station?

I would check with your Cruise line. I bet you aren't their first customer who has come in on a train (instead of a plane). They might have some discount, or even complimentary, transportation available.

If you take a taxi, here is address

Port Canaveral

9245 Charles Rowland Drive

Cape Canaveral, FL 32920

Carnival runs busses from the airport. If there are 6 of you, investigate cost of renting a car vs 6 rt transfers on the bus.
There is a Hertz counter on site at Orlando Station.

The way to go if you do rent a car would be a simple one-day, one-way rental to get you from the station to the port area/hotel. That said,.. one-way rentals are not the industry standard and many companies will only allow you to pick-up/drop-off from the same location. I'm not certain of Hertz's policy on one-way rentals.

Enterprise is one company which does advertise one-way rentals within Florida. They do not have a counter at Orlando Station, but they do have locations close by and should be able to pick you up at the station if you call and arrange it.

(Of course, the easiest way to get to the cruise terminal is to sail out of Tampa... Tampa's cruise terminals are only a mile from Amtrak's Union Station. ;) )

Carnival runs busses from the airport. If there are 6 of you, investigate cost of renting a car vs 6 rt transfers on the bus.
I believe Disney runs shuttles between their cruise port and their parks. If the OP is going on a Disney Cruise, possibly it might be cheaper to catch a ride to one of their park hotels, and from there, grab their shuttle to the port.

Assuming that you will be arriving in Orlando...

The last few times that I arrived home in Orlando, there were drivers from Florida Van Pools (who are licensed with the city and approved by Amtrak to be on their property). I used them once and received a great price for my 3 mile trip. The last time I arrived into Orlando was the Monday after Thanksgiving and Florida Van Pools were only transporting people to the tourist hotel area. (I ended up taking a city bus and walking part of the way and saving a lot of money).

I just googled them and found that their dispatch phone number is 407-348-2470 and website is floridavanpoolsinc.com. Maybe you could contact them to see if they will transport you to Port Canaveral.

Assuming that you will be arriving in Orlando...
The last few times that I arrived home in Orlando, there were drivers from Florida Van Pools (who are licensed with the city and approved by Amtrak to be on their property). I used them once and received a great price for my 3 mile trip. The last time I arrived into Orlando was the Monday after Thanksgiving and Florida Van Pools were only transporting people to the tourist hotel area. (I ended up taking a city bus and walking part of the way and saving a lot of money).

I just googled them and found that their dispatch phone number is 407-348-2470 and website is floridavanpoolsinc.com. Maybe you could contact them to see if they will transport you to Port Canaveral.

This is their rate schedule from their website (6-10 people to Port Canaveral $150):

RATES

Shuttle From Amtrak Prices

Area Shuttle 1 Person Shuttle 2-5 People Shuttle 6-10 People Shuttle 10 People

North I-Dr (N of Sand Lake)

$20.00

$30.00 $35.00 Call

South I-Dr (S of Sand Lake) $20.00 $35.00 $40.00 Call

Major-Universal above I-4 $20.00 $25.00 $50.00 Call

LBV $25.00 $40.00 $80.00 Call

WDW-Disney $25.00 $46.00 $80.00 Call

192 East of I-4 $25.00 $45.00 $80.00 Call

192 West of I-4 $25.00 $45.00 $80.00 Call

Winter Park $20.00 $30.00 $45.00 Call

Maitland $25.00 $40.00 $75.00 Call

Altamonte Springs $30.00 $35.00 $55.00 Call

Longwood $30.00 $40.00 $80.00 Call

Lake Mary $35.00 $50.00 $85.00 Call

Sandford $50.00 $65.00 $90.00 Call

Deland N/A $110.00 $145.00 Call

Daytona Beach N/A $150.00 $170.00 Call

Port Canaveral N/A $115.00 $150.00 Call

Melbourne N/A $135.00 $175.00 Call

Davenport N/A $55.00 $70.00 Call

Lakeland N/A $105.00 $140.00 Call

Tampa N/A $150.00 $165.00 Call

OIA $20.00 $30.00 $45.00 Call

Down Town Orlando $10.00 $20.00 $30.00 Call

I've not traveled from the train station to the port, but I've done the airport to port thing many times there in Orlando. I'd also strongly suggest you arrive the *day before* your cruise to ensure that you actually get there.

We *always* do a one-way back/forth with a rental car. Usually the one day rental is about the cost of the van's (sometimes cheaper), it's more convenient, I have not yet had them charge me a drop-off fee (they have lots of back and forth traffic, so no drop-off fees). If there is a Hertz booth at the airport then I'd reserve the car with them. You will want to do it as early as possible as the port will often run out of cars. You drive the car to the port, they have a shuttle that will take you to the ship and bring you back (as always, confirm these details of course).

Actually the wife and I had done this last year. We had booked enterprise not realizing they were not at the station. Upon arriving we saw Hertz and after waiting till the previous customers had left we were able to book one way rentals to Canaveral and back. It was so easy, Hertz has a courtesy van that picks you up from the cruise and drops off. Before returning the car we checked our bags for the cruise making it even easier. I believe it was about $45 one way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back