NE Regional

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

VentureForth

Engineer
I'm trying to find a timetable for train 171. I can't find it anywhere. It's not on ANY of the Northeast Corridor 1, 2, or 3 timetables.

DOH - Found it. It's on the Crescent schedule. That's where everyone first looks for a REGIONAL time table. :(

I am surprised it is not on both schedules. Good job finding it. I noticed it on the crescent schedule and thought it odd but figured they were trying to promote the two new trains.

I'm trying to find a timetable for train 171. I can't find it anywhere. It's not on ANY of the Northeast Corridor 1, 2, or 3 timetables.
DOH - Found it. It's on the Crescent schedule. That's where everyone first looks for a REGIONAL time table. :(
It is also in the online PDF NEC Timetable 1 (New York - Washington DC). Look at the weekdays southbound timetable and it is about line number 22 in it.

It is also present in the online PDF NEC Timetable 2 (Boston - New York - Washington - Richmond). Look at column 13 in the southbound table.

Time for some more coffee? :lol:

Yes, but those schedules don't show the train going all the way to Lynchburg - just to DC, with NO footnote showing it's continued service to Lynchburg. And these are the latest, greatest, online timetables...

It's almost like they want this route to fail. :huh:

I will go get some coffee. Thanks. :)

Yes, but those schedules don't show the train going all the way to Lynchburg - just to DC, with NO footnote showing it's continued service to Lynchburg. And these are the latest, greatest, online timetables...

No its just that they can't reallly fit alll of the stops of 171, etcc. on the timetables, and the Crescent timecard already had Lynchburg so it was easier to put them on that.

NEC Timetables 1, and 3 do not show any information about any trains that continue beyond Washington DC. So they are not being exclusively nasty to the Lynchburg service.

Interestingly, on the Timetables page there is a listing for Boston-New York-Washington-Lynchburg, which points to NEC 2 timetable, and that timetable has no information about 171 continuing onto Lynchburg. I think such an annotation ought to be added to NEC Timetable 2 under 171.

While we're talking about 171, something that I've been wondering about since it was introduced: the VRE timetables list it as making stops at L'Enfant Plaza and Burke, and this was mentioned in the press announcement, but Amtrak hasn't acknowledged these stops. If they're only for weekly/monthly passholders, I guess that makes sense, but for all the other trains that VRE lists, you could also buy an Amtrak ticket because the stations are the same (e.g. Manassas to DC on 20/50). If 171's going to stop in Burke anyway for VRE monthly pass holders, wouldn't it also make sense to allow Amtrak tickets for the stop, since the train's running that route anyway? I have a friend who lives in Burke, and would pay to go to/from DC, but apparently I can only do that with a monthly pass? It doesn't make any sense.

That's sort of my point. It would be nice to see a footnote, or some other sort of code indicating through service to its final destination. Is this the first time that any particular Amtrak train doesn't have its entire timetable published?

It does seem like since they added it in to the Crescent timetable they should indicate all of the stops, but to say this train is complicated is an understatement. Since 145/147 originate in SPG, 171/176 originate/terminate in BOS, and 156 terminates in NYP, they're probably only trying to advertise NYP-LYH service so they don't confuse the heck out of the traveling public. It is possible that they may lose some business, but they also likely would confuse the hell out of people if they put the WHOLE thing on the Crescent timetable.

Just for the record, I spoke to the timetable team today about what we've discussed above and as many here rightly pointed out, they had a bit of a dilemma in figuring out how/where to work the new Lynchburg train in. Adding Manassas, Culpeper, Charlottesville, and Lynchburg to the entire regional timetable for just a few train listings didn't make sense space-wise, and the Crescent timetable didn't really have the vertical space for adding all of the NYP-BOS/SPG stops. The short term compromise was to get the LYH service on the Crescent timetable for now, get the dedicated Amtrak Virginia brochure out there and in stations (which has the full schedule), and they're going to explore some ideas for getting the full Lynchburg service into the spring timetable/wallet cards, which may be part of a new Virginia services timetable (Regionals/Carolinian/Stars/Palmetto/Crescent/Cardinal). Nothing's for sure, but the timetable team is hard at work on this.

Rafi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back