Our first train ride!!!

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone. We are getting ready for our 1st train. Going from New England to Florida. Just a few questions and concerns. We measured our luggage and it seems to be under the dimensions for allowable carry on luggage, which was a surprise to me, but I'm happy I can take it on with me.(yes, it's under 50 lbs.)I've read some posts, but was wondering if the luggage gets stored overhead or somewhere else on the train? Also, we're taking the 91 silver star. does that have outlets in the coach seats? Can we take a cooler? If so, where does that go?? is there room right at our seats? do they supply blankets? okay, that's all for now. any more info you can give will be greatly appreciated. I am taking a train because i am scared to fly. i'm hoping the train is not a scary experience to. :( i'm hoping we love it!!! thanks again!!

Hi everyone. We are getting ready for our 1st train. Going from New England to Florida. Just a few questions and concerns. We measured our luggage and it seems to be under the dimensions for allowable carry on luggage, which was a surprise to me, but I'm happy I can take it on with me.(yes, it's under 50 lbs.)I've read some posts, but was wondering if the luggage gets stored overhead or somewhere else on the train? Also, we're taking the 91 silver star. does that have outlets in the coach seats? Can we take a cooler? If so, where does that go?? is there room right at our seats? do they supply blankets? okay, that's all for now. any more info you can give will be greatly appreciated. I am taking a train because i am scared to fly. i'm hoping the train is not a scary experience to. :( i'm hoping we love it!!! thanks again!!
Glad you decided to ride the trains! You didnt indicate where you were getting on/off on your trip but if you can check your luggage you wont have to worry about it until you get to Florida! Anything you carry on must fit in the overhead rack over your seat, in the proovided luggage storage rack on your coach (see the diagrams of the Amfleet cars on this web-site)or in your lap or @ your feet! You should have outlets on AMfleet II coaches if you are lucky,

Amfleet Is dont! You can take a cooler, they cant provide ice, and you can eat @ your seat but not your own stuff in the diner! You may find the snacks and meals a little pricey in the cafe car, sort of airport prices! If you had a sleeper of course your meals would be included for both (same price for 1 or 2),

'that may worth looking into? Take a light blanket and perhaps a travel pillow, remember if you take electronic devices to use headphones! You might want to read the old posts here for trip reports and rail discusiion and first time riders, tons of good info here! Dont hesitate to ask, you WILL get advice! :lol:

Have a great trip, welcome to a great club! (Actually the carry on luggage pretty much is if you can carry it on,without help, and it fits, its OK! Most OBS and conductors are cool! Checked baggage is different, they do weigh it and some are pretty picky!)

Last edited by a moderator:
As far as carry on luggage goes, the unwritten rule with Amtrak is this: As long as you can carry it on without assistance, it's allowed, regardless of whether it meets the size/weight limitations. Luggage is stored in the luggage racks above your seat, or at the ends of the cars - its your option. I always put it above my seat, but if it's very heavy and you don't want to lift it, just put it at the end of the car.

They don't supply blankets, but I believe one can be purchased in the cafe car (this may not be the case anymore - someone else can probably jump in here if I'm wrong). A cooler should be fine.

I believe almost every coach on the Silver Star should now have outlets. There's a slim chance you won't, but if so, just ask the conductor or the car attendant if you can move to a car with them.

Enjoy your trip!

Glad you decided to ride the trains! You didnt indicate where you were getting on/off on your trip but if you can check your luggage you wont have to worry about it until you get to Florida! Anything you carry on must fit in the overhead rack over your seat, in the proovided luggage storage rack on your coach (see the diagrams of the Amfleet cars on this web-site)or in your lap or @ your feet!
Actually it should all go up in the overhead racks. Purses, backpacks, and laptop cases do NOT count as carry-on and thus you can stow them at your seat. However if you try putting a suitcase under the seat in front of you don't be surprised if somebody says something...

You should have outlets on AMfleet II coaches if you are lucky,Amfleet Is dont!
Amfleet Is actually do.

You can take a cooler, they cant provide ice, and you can eat @ your seat but not your own stuff in the diner!
Amtrak WILL provide ice if you're bringing a cooler for medication. Many SA's will allow you to eat your own food in the café car, but you cannot bring private alcohol in public seating.

Have a great trip, welcome to a great club! (Actually the carry on luggage pretty much is if you can carry it on,without help, and it fits, its OK! Most OBS and conductors are cool! Checked baggage is different, they do weigh it and some are pretty picky!)
Regardless it should be within the limits because you never know if a conductor/SA will need to move luggage in order to make room for other pax's luggage.

Welcome!

The carry on luggage is stored above your seat or there is usually a rack at the end of the car. If you have not traveled by train before, you will be pleasantly surprised at the room to store your carry on baggage. (It is not small like on a plane!)

The only real time you have to be worried about the size or weight is if you check them. If you hand carry them and you can easily do so by yourself, you will probably not be challenged. (If it is 1 inch "bigger" or 2 pounds "heavier", but you carry it yourself without problems, most likely they will not say anything. But if it's 10 feet long or takes 3 people to carry it, then they may say something!)

Most cars have outlets now. If possible, take a small cooler. And it can be stored above your seat. (And as far as food, you can bring it aboard, but just remember that you can smell the food - but so can the other 71 people in the car! So please try to avoid the smelly foods!

In coach, they supply a (small) pillow, but no blanket. You can buy one (to keep), bring one with you, or what I do is bring a sweater or jacket to use!

I hope you enjoy your trip! And if you have any more questions, just ask!

You've been given some pretty good advise so far, but I would like to mention one thing I don't think was covered.

If once you're onboard, you don't feel as comfortable in coach as you think you might be, you can inquire with the conductor to see if they have an empty private room or roomette available. If one's available and the cost is doable for you, you can request that room at it's lowest cost possible. If you do this, be prepared to pay on the spot. Also note that upgrading prior to boarding might cost considerably more, depending on how many rooms are actually vacant and available!

Have a good trip!

You've been given some pretty good advise so far, but I would like to mention one thing I don't think was covered.

If once you're onboard, you don't feel as comfortable in coach as you think you might be, you can inquire with the conductor to see if they have an empty private room or roomette available. If one's available and the cost is doable for you, you can request that room at it's lowest cost possible. If you do this, be prepared to pay on the spot. Also note that upgrading prior to boarding might cost considerably more, depending on how many rooms are actually vacant and available!

Have a good trip!
If I can add my two cents worth...if you are comfortable with the fare, upgrade to a sleeper. A roomette is small with no room for carry ons much. It has two seats face to face by day and bunk beds by night. The toilet/shower is down the hall.

The bedroom again bunk beds but more room to move and your own toilel/shower in the room. With both accomodations all meals are included. Bedding is supplied in both rooms as are towels and amminities.

I bought a blanket for a souvenir, but I wouldn't recommend using it as your only blanket. It's very light and on 5' x 4' so no big enough for most to cover up with.

roomette ... The toilet/shower is down the hall.
A slight correction. On a Superliner, they are down the hall and/or downstairs. On a Viewliner (which the Silver Service uses), the shower is down the hall, but the toilet is inside the room!
How would you know traveler since you ride in the penthouse suite and use the basement spa exclusively! :lol: :lol: :lol:

How would you know traveler since you ride in the penthouse suite and use the basement spa exclusively! :lol: :lol: :lol:
I come down from my perch at times and mix with "the little people" sometimes! :p (I met you, didn't I? :lol: ) Besides, the elevator got stuck once, and I actually :eek: had to get off at THAT level!
What you don't have a communicator, and get Scottie to beam you to the penthouse suite. :rolleyes:

Aloha

The Transporter was broken that day, and it was either use the elevator or :eek: climb the stairs! So I used the elevator, and - you know what happened! (I still had to climb stairs the rest of the way! :eek: My driver had the day off! :angry: )

Last edited by a moderator:
The Transporter was broken that day, and it was either use the elevator or :eek: climb the stairs! So I used the elevator, and - you know what happened! (I still had to climb stairs the rest of the way! :eek: My driver had the day off! :angry: )
Dave, since you had Amtrak retrofit a number of THESE (Click Link) to run on the rails with one added to the back of each train that you ride on, why don't you just head to the back of the consist when necessary? Warning: Using retrofits for showers not advised! :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back