Condensed Scheduling

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

P40Power

OBS Chief
For years (since 1996 or so) Ive been making up my own versions of Amtrak schedules which are much more condensed then the actual ones for operation on my HO scale layout, so I can imagine that the train does its entire routing (of course I always ran the Lake Shore Limited most often).

I used to run on a single standard, 5 minutes between each stop on my layout. But since my layout grew much greater in size and I have matured, I wanna run things a bit longer and with longer/shorter times corresponding with the distance between each stop as well as the model speeds between the stops. I have added quite a bit of time to my schedules over the last few years, but they are still quite inconsisant with the different routes. I was wondering if anyone has any methods or ideas on scheduling model Amtrak trains.

I havent model railroaded in years, but your post reminded me of the days when I ran the Broadway Limited on my train set. Of course, the only thing that was probably accurate was my trains announcements . . . "May I have your attention please, Amtrak now announces the boarding of Amtrak train 40, the Broadway Limited, schedule to depart ato ... for Gary, Valparaiso, Fort Waynce, etc." This was back in the seventies and I had a lot of fun with that. You could do announcements for your trains too. :D

Keep in mind I was about 10 years old then. so this might be kind of inappropriate here.

Are you kidding me, making the announcements is one of the best parts of the whole passenger railroad modeling experiences. "Attention HO scale Amtrak passengers, we are stopped due to a discarded Lawn Boy on the tracks, we will resume as soon as the situation has been assessed!"

Steve4031 said:
I havent model railroaded in years, but your post reminded me of the days when I ran the Broadway Limited on my train set. Of course, the only thing that was probably accurate was my trains announcements . . . "May I have your attention please, Amtrak now announces the boarding of Amtrak train 40, the Broadway Limited, schedule to depart ato ... for Gary, Valparaiso, Fort Waynce, etc."  This was back in the seventies and I had a lot of fun with that.  You could do announcements for your trains too.   :D
Keep in mind I was about 10 years old then.  so this might be kind of inappropriate here.

Steve 4031, would you believe,......would you really believe......but there used to be an old record, very old fashioned record ,announcment specifically of just the Broadway Limited departing either NYC or CHI can't remember which. I played it 100,000 times as a child, along with "Atchison Topeka and Santa Fe"....it then made steam engine noises after the train departed (the early Broadway was powered by streamlined steam) But you were really not far off the bat when you did what you did.

In my genenration I made trains out of modeling clay and I made announcemnts too. I never had anything very sophsiticated....but I had fun.

I did have an actual train, too.

When I was that age, I new all of the stops in the correct order on all trains that left Chicago.

My all time best train announce came when I was a senior in high school. I was the equipment manager for the baseball team. For some reason I was up in the press box, and the P.A. was on. Somebody encouraged me to say something. So . . . "May I have yiour attention please, Amtrak now announces the boarding of Amtrak train 40, the Broadway Limited, scheduled to depart at . . . on track 28 for Gary, Valparaiso, Fort Wayne, Lima, Crestline, Canton, Pittsburg, Johnstown, Altoona, harrisburg, Philadalphia, New York Penn Station and all scheduled imtermediate stops."

By the time I hit Fort Wayne, half of the Baseball team had stopped practicing and were rolling around on the ground laughing. The coaches were glowering and smiling at the same time. It was pretty funny. :D

Back