Amtrak employees' travel benefits

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NativeSon5859

Conductor
I was just wondering if Amtrak employees get the same deal as some airline employees do: free travel on a space available basis for the employee and their immediate family.

Just curious, any insight is appreciated.

I am not sure about current Amtrak employees. However I can say that some of the older employees of certain freight railroads do get discounts. When Amtrak started in 1971 they took over passenger service from certain freight RR's. My father was a Ticket Agent for the C&O RR when Amtrak took over passenger operations. The employees of these RR at the time of Amtrak start up received a Amtrak "pass" and currently get these discounts. From what I understand anybody hired in after May 1971 in these freight RR do not get the Amtrak pass. My Dad's pass is still valid eventhough he retired in 1988. It's good for both my Mom & Dad, and was for me until I turned 18. Basically this pass gives them free coach seats on my dad's home road, the old C&O now part of CSX. However it's NOT valid on all CSX rails, only the old C&O, which is basically the Cardinal route and that's about it. They do get 1/2 off coach fares on other RR like BNSF, NS etc.. Another perk is sleepers are 1/2 fare too. Not a bad deal. The downside of all this is that you can't make a reservation until 24 or 48 hours (i can't remember which) before departure to receive these discounts.

Amtrak is not even close to the airlines, who have a very liberal travel policy for employees and family. Amtrak is governed by Red, Whie and Blue days, which are historically calculated to provide discounts, based on past and current ridership. A book is published, which tells you which day is red, white or blue and the discounts vary accordingly. It is a cumbersome process and is not user (employee) friendly..........so if you are looking for perks for family travel with Amtrak, they are not really there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back