empire builder

23 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_laser_*

Guest_laser_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 June 2009 - 04:49 PM

I'm wondering if anyone knows what the difference is between a 28 Empire Builder and an 8 Empire Builder. When looking at fares from Montana to Minnesota, these were the two options. And the 28 Empire is about double the price! Thanks.

#2 JayPea

JayPea

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,771 posts
  • Location:Colfax, WA (CFX)---Hey, it's only an Amtrak Thruway bus stop, but at least my town in mentioned on Amtrak's website and in their timetable!
  • Interests:Trains, photography, photography of trains, travel, travel by train, reading, reading about trains............

Posted 25 June 2009 - 04:57 PM

I'm wondering if anyone knows what the difference is between a 28 Empire Builder and an 8 Empire Builder. When looking at fares from Montana to Minnesota, these were the two options. And the 28 Empire is about double the price! Thanks.

The Nos. 8 and 28 Empire Builder, from Spokane eastward, are one and the same train. The Empire Builder, going east, begins as separate trains in Seattle and Portland. In Spokane, the two sections are joined to make one train. 8 actually refers to the Seattle section, 28 the Portland section. When they are joined in Spokane, the train becomes 8/28, to be technical.

Edited by JayPea, 25 June 2009 - 04:57 PM.

Amtrak Routes Traveled: City of New Orleans, State House/Lincoln Service, Empire Builder, California Zephyr, Southwest Chief, Cascades, Crescent, Capitol Limited, Coast Starlight, Texas Eagle/Sunset Limited, Silver Meteor, Lake Shore Limited
Pre-Amtrak Routes Traveled: Empire Builder (Great Northern), North Coast Limited (Northern Pacific), Abraham Lincoln (Gulf, Mobile, and Ohio), City of Hinkle (Union Pacific)
Bustitutions: Portland-Spokane (EB)
Amtrak Miles: 52,566

Pre-Amtrak Miles: 8,482
Bustitution Miles: 362

Excursion trains ridden: Chehalis and Centralia Railroad, Mt. Hood Scenic Railroad, and trains at the
Illinois Railway Museum, Monticello (IL)Railroad Museum, and the California Railway Museum.

#3 Guest_laser_*

Guest_laser_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 June 2009 - 05:00 PM

So if I wanted to leave from Montana to get to Minnesota, would I buy a ticket for 28 Empire or 8 Empire?

#4 JayPea

JayPea

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,771 posts
  • Location:Colfax, WA (CFX)---Hey, it's only an Amtrak Thruway bus stop, but at least my town in mentioned on Amtrak's website and in their timetable!
  • Interests:Trains, photography, photography of trains, travel, travel by train, reading, reading about trains............

Posted 25 June 2009 - 05:04 PM

In that case, the #8, since it's half the price!

Amtrak Routes Traveled: City of New Orleans, State House/Lincoln Service, Empire Builder, California Zephyr, Southwest Chief, Cascades, Crescent, Capitol Limited, Coast Starlight, Texas Eagle/Sunset Limited, Silver Meteor, Lake Shore Limited
Pre-Amtrak Routes Traveled: Empire Builder (Great Northern), North Coast Limited (Northern Pacific), Abraham Lincoln (Gulf, Mobile, and Ohio), City of Hinkle (Union Pacific)

Excursion trains ridden: Chehalis and Centralia Railroad, Mt. Hood Scenic Railroad, and trains at the
Illinois Railway Museum, Monticello (IL)Railroad Museum, and the California Railway Museum.

#5 Rail Freak

Rail Freak

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,000 posts
  • Interests:Experiencing the country by RAIL!!!
    U.S. & Native American History

Posted 25 June 2009 - 05:08 PM

In that case, the #8, since it's half the price!

Why do you say that?
RF :huh:

A Rookie No More! But Still A Lot Of Track To Travel !!!
Silver Meteor #97(5) & #98 (4), Silver Star #91 (2), Capitol Limited #29 & #30(4), Empire Builder #7,#8,#27(2) &#28(4) Coast Starlight #11 (6) & #14(5), California Zephyr #5 (2) & #6 (5), Cascades #506, City of New Orleans #58 (1) #59 (2), South West Chief #3 (3), Lake Shore Limited #49, Maple Leaf #63 San Joaquin #714, Pacific Surfliner #774, Texas Eagle #422, Cardinal #50, Crescent #19, Sunset Limited #1. Approx. 55,730 miles & 41 states!

HAVE FUN

#6 JayPea

JayPea

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,771 posts

Posted 25 June 2009 - 05:14 PM

That's why!!!! :lol:

Edited by JayPea, 25 June 2009 - 05:14 PM.

#7 MattW

MattW

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,419 posts

Posted 25 June 2009 - 06:02 PM

If two "trains" go the same place at the same time, then choose the cheaper! Can't really go wrong there :P
Forum's official broken record about expanded Georgia passenger service!

#8 saxman

saxman

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,173 posts
  • Interests:Trains, planes, maps, and music

Posted 25 June 2009 - 06:03 PM

So if I wanted to leave from Montana to get to Minnesota, would I buy a ticket for 28 Empire or 8 Empire?

As said above, its the same train. So unless you want to pay more, get the cheaper one. There's no difference.

Amtrak Miles: 174,788

#9 RRrich

RRrich

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,550 posts

Posted 25 June 2009 - 06:15 PM

Support Amtrak - buy the most expensive one ;)

In St Louis the Texas Eagle can be 22,322 or 422 depending were it originated - I just buy the cheapest. Gee I don't take my own advice.

Time flies like an Arrow
Fruit Flies like a Banana

#10 ALC Rail Writer

ALC Rail Writer

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,706 posts

Posted 25 June 2009 - 07:38 PM

It is simple supply and demand.

Train 8 runs with three sleepers and train 28 only with one. This means that rooms in 28 sell out long before rooms in train 8 sell out-- it leads to higher prices due to the bucket system (which I and others could explain) but in the end, just think of it as supply and demand.

Amtrak Routes Travelled: Capitol Limited (x12s), Northeast Regional (x10), Pennsylvanian (x10), Empire Builder (x6), Cascades (x4), Empire Service (2), Acela Express (3), New Haven Shuttle (2), Vermonter (1), Lake Shore Limited (x3), Lincoln Service (3), Coast Starlight (x2), California Zephyr(1), Capitol Corridor(1), Southwest Chief (1), Missouri River Runner (1), Downeaster (2), Crescent (2)
Amtrak Rail Miles: 34,568

My most recent Amtrak trip report!

All Aboard Ohio - Advocacy group for intercity travel in Ohio

#11 the_traveler

the_traveler

Engineer

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,607 posts
  • Interests:Planning my next trip

Posted 25 June 2009 - 07:53 PM

If you want to spend more, chose the "train" that has the lowest fare, and then send me the difference between that fare and the higher fare! :D

Seriously, since there is only one (complete) train, car #5 departs @ 3:37 and arrives @ 12:52, and car #7 departs @ 3:37 and arrives @ 12:52 also! ;) Chose the "train" with the lowest fare!
Take it easy .......

Take the train instead!

#12 ALC Rail Writer

ALC Rail Writer

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,706 posts

Posted 25 June 2009 - 08:04 PM

If you want to walk on train 28, then book a room at 28, then walk to the back until you see a Sightseer Lounge-- welcome to train 28!

Amtrak Routes Travelled: Capitol Limited (x12s), Northeast Regional (x10), Pennsylvanian (x10), Empire Builder (x6), Cascades (x4), Empire Service (2), Acela Express (3), New Haven Shuttle (2), Vermonter (1), Lake Shore Limited (x3), Lincoln Service (3), Coast Starlight (x2), California Zephyr(1), Capitol Corridor(1), Southwest Chief (1), Missouri River Runner (1), Downeaster (2), Crescent (2)

#13 the_traveler

the_traveler

Engineer

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,607 posts
  • Interests:Planning my next trip

Posted 25 June 2009 - 08:22 PM

If you want to walk on train 28, then book a room at 28, then walk to the back until you see a Sightseer Lounge-- welcome to train 28!

I think you meant "Book a room on 8"! :D If you booked a room on 28 and walked back, it's a long walk - and a long fall! :lol: Car #2830 is the only PDX sleeper - and is the last car of the train!
Take it easy .......

Take the train instead!

#14 ALC Rail Writer

ALC Rail Writer

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,706 posts

Posted 25 June 2009 - 08:26 PM

I think you meant "Book a room on 8"! :D If you booked a room on 28 and walked back, it's a long walk - and a long fall! :lol: Car #2830 is the only PDX sleeper - and is the last car of the train!

You guys can PM me if you wanna correct me, y'know?

I know.. its more fun this way.

#15 Rail Freak

Rail Freak

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,000 posts
  • Interests:Experiencing the country by RAIL!!!
    U.S. & Native American History

Posted 25 June 2009 - 08:59 PM

until MSP, correct?

A Rookie No More! But Still A Lot Of Track To Travel !!!
Silver Meteor #97(5) & #98 (4), Silver Star #91 (2), Capitol Limited #29 & #30(4), Empire Builder #7,#8,#27(2) &#28(4) Coast Starlight #11 (6) & #14(5), California Zephyr #5 (2) & #6 (5), Cascades #506, City of New Orleans #58 (1) #59 (2), South West Chief #3 (3), Lake Shore Limited #49, Maple Leaf #63 San Joaquin #714, Pacific Surfliner #774, Texas Eagle #422, Cardinal #50, Crescent #19, Sunset Limited #1. Approx. 55,730 miles & 41 states!

HAVE FUN

#16 Ispolkom

Ispolkom

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,926 posts

Posted 25 June 2009 - 09:41 PM

until MSP, correct?

Some days. The St. Paul-Chicago coach isn't on the train every day, and of course some days there are private cars behind it.

#17 jmbgeg

jmbgeg

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,164 posts

Posted 25 June 2009 - 10:11 PM

The only time that it matters other than price whether you book on the Seattle or Portland portions of the Empire Builder is westbound, and then only if you are traveling west of Spokane. If you want Wenatchee, Everett, Edomds or Seattle, you want 7. If You want Pasco, Vancouver or Portland you want 27.
jmb<br /><br /><span style='font-family: Palatino Linotype'>Select Plus Traveling the Empire Builder, Coast Starlight, Cascades, California Zephyr, San Joaquins, Capitol Limited, Southwest Chief and Lakeshore Limited</span>

#18 ALC Rail Writer

ALC Rail Writer

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,706 posts

Posted 25 June 2009 - 10:14 PM

The only time that it matters other than price whether you book on the Seattle or Portland portions of the Empire Builder is westbound, and then only if you are traveling west of Spokane. If you want Wenatchee, Everett, Edomds or Seattle, you want 7. If You want Pasco, Vancouver or Portland you want 27.

While you are right that it doesn't matter as long as your are traveling between SPK and CHI, it DOES matter whether your book 7/27 or 8/28 if you aren't. Eastbound or Westbound, just like the LSL, the sleepers are almost always in different buckets and it almost always favors 7/8.

Edited by ALC_Rail_Writer, 25 June 2009 - 10:15 PM.

#19 jmbgeg

jmbgeg

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,164 posts

Posted 26 June 2009 - 12:03 AM

While you are right that it doesn't matter as long as your are traveling between SPK and CHI, it DOES matter whether your book 7/27 or 8/28 if you aren't. Eastbound or Westbound, just like the LSL, the sleepers are almost always in different buckets and it almost always favors 7/8.

That's why I said "other than price", which is the question of pricing buckets....
jmb<br /><br /><span style='font-family: Palatino Linotype'>Select Plus Traveling the Empire Builder, Coast Starlight, Cascades, California Zephyr, San Joaquins, Capitol Limited, Southwest Chief and Lakeshore Limited</span>

#20 ALC Rail Writer

ALC Rail Writer

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,706 posts

Posted 26 June 2009 - 12:15 AM

That's why I said "other than price", which is the question of pricing buckets....

Even then you're still not considering Cascade service. You can get a BC seat on the Cascades between SEA/PDX for under $40, and the difference between rooms on 7/8/27/28 could be hundreds!

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users