Silver Meteor questions

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Amtrak Alan

Train Attendant
Had some questions about the Silver Meteor:

We would be going from Jax to D.C.

1) What is the dining car like. Just rode the Capitol Limited and it was great, Lake Shore(will it get better?, not so great

2) What is the coach seating like? Are there electrical outlets and plenty of legroom?

3) Cleanliness of restrooms?

4) Any other comments

thanks

Well keep in mind on this route you will be in single level cars. The Texas Eagle and Capital Limited run with Superliner equipment. This will be Amfleet 2 coaches and Viewliner sleepers. These cars a little different. There will be a footrest in coach and you should have an electrical outlet at your seat. The bathrooms should stay pretty clean during your trip. The diner will be close to what you had on the Capitol Limited its just a single level. It should be a good ride.

When my family and I travel from PA to FL on the Silver Service lines, we always purchase a viewliner roomette. By doing that all your meals would be included and you will get a comfortable bed to sleep in. I've also noticed the last 2 times we took the 'Silvers' that the sleepers were sold out and the crews were unable to seat people in the diner from coach. I believe they had the option to purchase a meal but then eat it at their seat. Have a fun trip!

Two years ago for Thanksgiving, we reserved a bedroom in the Silver Meteor R/T NYP to WPB and had absolutely no complaints with the accommodations, food in the dining car and the service. Our attendant Vic, was friendly and very informative with any questions us seniors had. Our trip in July, we reserved a roomette R/T NYP to WPB. Should be an interesting ride with the Viewliners now at the end of the train. Enjoy your trip. It's nice to sit back and watch the world go by and not have to worry about keeping your eyes on the road. Leave the driving/railing to Amtrak!

I've also noticed the last 2 times we took the 'Silvers' that the sleepers were sold out and the crews were unable to seat people in the diner from coach.
Yea, that has been my observation too (we always travel in the sleepers). And even if the train is not quite sold out, sleeper passengers seem to get seating priority in the dining car. I have seen coach passengers waiting when we seated, and the same coach passengers still waiting when we left.

I just rode the Silver Meteor from Newark to Savannah. I have not been on the Capitol and Lake Shore Limited, but I think they use the same (single level) cars?

Coach seats have ample room leg room, although I spent most of my time in the cafe car.

My mom rode the Silver Meteor three years ago and warned me that the bathrooms were horrible, but I happened to have a very attentive attendant who seemed to be checking them often -- so they were pretty clean.

As for the food, it is mediocre. Not bad, but everything is prepared ahead of time, from what I can tell. Still, I would eat in the dining car again, just for the experience. I wrote more about it here http://www.stateneats.com/2009/06/dining-o...ver-meteor.html

Enjoy your ride.

I just rode the Silver Meteor from Newark to Savannah. I have not been on the Capitol and Lake Shore Limited, but I think they use the same (single level) cars?
Coach seats have ample room leg room, although I spent most of my time in the cafe car.

My mom rode the Silver Meteor three years ago and warned me that the bathrooms were horrible, but I happened to have a very attentive attendant who seemed to be checking them often -- so they were pretty clean.

As for the food, it is mediocre. Not bad, but everything is prepared ahead of time, from what I can tell. Still, I would eat in the dining car again, just for the experience. I wrote more about it here http://www.stateneats.com/2009/06/dining-o...ver-meteor.html

Enjoy your ride.
You underestimate their food. Their mashed potatoes, while not fresh, are pretty good. I don't think they are instant. They might not be fresh, but my guess is they are prepared from real potatoes off the train, bagged, and reheated on board. Which is better than you'll get in many diners because they tend to use the false economy of dehydrated potatoes.

I found their hashbrowns pretty good, too. And the french toast, while not anything like what ATSF sold in years gone by, is definitely solidly in the "edible" coloumn. Yes, the food could be better. You make it sound bad, which it isn't.

The Lake Shore Limited uses the same single level cars, except for the dining car. It currently runs with something called a Diner-Lite car, which has no regular ovens and no grill. So everything must be reheated in a convection oven.

The Capitol Limited runs with the bi-level Superliner cars.

The Lake Shore Limited uses the same single level cars, except for the dining car. It currently runs with something called a Diner-Lite car, which has no regular ovens and no grill. So everything must be reheated in a convection oven.

Just to be completely correct, the Lake Shore (and Cardinal for that matter) run with a Diner-Lounge car (not Diner-Lite, which is the method of preparing and serving the food).

Rafi

Fixin to board in about 20 minutes. Keeping a live (as I am awake) report in the Travelogue section (SAV to RVR).
Ok. Technically, I'm on the Silver Star, but the last 7 hours have been great. Seats are comfy, toilets are clean, staff is friendly. There were two of us at breakfast (which starts at 6:30). Train seems to be about 80% full.

Can't imagine the Meteor being any different.

Amtrak Alan, I'm not sure its getting any better. The food sounds like it has definatly gotten better (as per the menu on amtrak.com), but it will probably be not as good food wise. Also expect uneven windows (if you aren't in sleeper, as half the car has uneven windows, while the other half has one good side and a partially altered side). Just try to enjoy this car, it isn't the best (same for the CL), but its all Amtraks got.

cpamtfan-Peter

Just to be completely correct, the Lake Shore (and Cardinal for that matter) run with a Diner-Lounge car (not Diner-Lite, which is the method of preparing and serving the food).

Rafi
Um, sorry Rafi, but no. SDS is the plan that defined how to prepare and serve the food.

Officially within Amtrak the Superliner CCC's were originally called Diner-Lounge, and I believe that the original idea was to do the same with the converted AMF II cafes. However, since they don't even approach the capabilities of the CCC, at least unofficially if not officially, the AMF II cafes were dubbed Diner-Lite. A reference to the lack of a grill, regular ovens, dishwasher, and other items.

Amtrak Alan, I'm not sure its getting any better. The food sounds like it has definatly gotten better (as per the menu on amtrak.com), but it will probably be not as good food wise. Also expect uneven windows (if you aren't in sleeper, as half the car has uneven windows, while the other half has one good side and a partially altered side). Just try to enjoy this car, it isn't the best (same for the CL), but its all Amtraks got.
cpamtfan-Peter
The uneven windows apply only to the Amfleet "Diner Lite" cars (or Diner Lounge). The Silver Trains runs normally with Heritage Diners, which have windows that line up perfectly with the booths. (But I have seen them carry a "Diner Lite" car to be used as a cafe')

Currently AFAIK, the only trains running with the Amfleet "Diner Lite" cars and using them as diners, are the Lake Shore Limited and the Cardinal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back