New MARC Engines To Begin Service

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
MARC 11 was at WAS for the first time (that I've seen at least) yesterday - these new MP's are some pretty sweet looking locomotives.

marc_11_was.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Metrolink is in the middle of receiving an order of this type locomotive (MP 36 or variant thereof, I believe). I haven't personally seen any in service, just at the shops. Metra has 'em, and I think Toronto and the NM Rail Runner as well. Thanks for the MARC pic, HokieNav.

Those attending the NTD events yesterday in DC got to see one of the new locos up close as it was on display. I haven't yet looked to see how my pictures came out, but assuming that it's decent, I'll put up a shot later today.

The new MARC MP36PH-3C units are STILL not in revenue service, commuters are not pleased, and now the Maryland Transit Administration is saying what the holdup is:

Testing safety dispute idles MARC's new locomotives

"State, builder disagree on what is needed for U.S. approval to operate"

"...the dispute centers around a testing regimen known as FMECA - Failure Modes, Effects, Criticality Analysis. ...[T]he MTA's independent safety office - with the backing of Administrator Paul J. Wiedefeld - contends that additional tests are required to secure Federal Railroad Administration approval to put the locomotives into service, while the manufacturer, MotivePower, believes the tests that have been done are sufficient."

but once they actully due get the locos running correctly there more reliable then the p-42dc
You base that on what, exactly?

I'm not saying they won't in a sense, however the P42 has proven itself whereas these units have yet to prove they do more than look neat. And if I know anything about getting into a contract with people, its when they can't seem to get their s*** together-- it probably means they don't have a good product, and its clear that nobody (MARC included) can get the ducks in a row with these units.

Ok, then can anyone show where METRA, RailRunner, FrontRunner, Metrolink or one of the other MP36 operators has had substantial troubles with the locomotives? Not only do they look great, but I haven't seen any major problems so far with them...

Not saying they won't do badly for a simple commuter engine, what I am saying is that comparing these to a P42 is like comparing an F15 to a Cessna... (exaggeration noted).

In other words, you won't be seeing these things pulling the EB anytime soon...

I just watched the Dirty Jobs episode where Mike Rowe did a day at MPI in Boise, claimed the locomotives he was working on were "destined to pull passenger trains in Maryland"...

Just because you use a P40 for commuter operations doesn't mean it was designed for commuter operations. The P40 can pull the SWC or make a corridor run. Same with the P42... The P42 is a remarkable engine because it can be used virtually anywhere in the country reliably, and for about any passenger run.

Part of it is apples to oranges.

Ah yes, the Dirty Jobs episode! I loved it! I'd guess the locomotives soon to be built on the frames he was working on were for MARC as the locomotive he was seen driving was for Minneapolis's Northstar.

I shall be disappointed if these replace the locomotives currently running on the Brunswick and Camden lines before Christmas, when I hope to be around there - does anyone see a likelihood of this?

No, I don't. Even if they start rolling these guys out in any numbers soon, there will likely still be some GP-40's hanging around. Even after the MP36's are in service, MARC will still be operating the GP-39's as well.

Given the competency of MARC management these days, I'll give you even money on the first of these being in service by the first of the year. Several Penn Line trains have been operating shorter than usual for a solid 2 weeks now because the MP36's aren't in service yet, the AEM-7 rebuild process has been dragging on for years with Amtrak seemingly unable to return them to working order, and a handful of the HHP-8's are broke.

Given the competency of MARC management these days, I'll give you even money on the first of these being in service by the first of the year. Several Penn Line trains have been operating shorter than usual for a solid 2 weeks now because the MP36's aren't in service yet, the AEM-7 rebuild process has been dragging on for years with Amtrak seemingly unable to return them to working order, and a handful of the HHP-8's are broke.
Ok, I'm confused. :blink: If they have locos out of service, why wouldn't they be operating longer trains to pick up the slack? :unsure: It would seem to me that having a loco shortage would mean needing to cancel a run or two and therefore you'd need more cars on the remaining trains to pick up the slack.

i think right now there nothing but a 1/2 million$ 100 ton paper weight each. every other RR that has these locs has them running so whats the problem that marc can't seam to figure out.

Ok, I'm confused. :blink: If they have locos out of service, why wouldn't they be operating longer trains to pick up the slack? :unsure: It would seem to me that having a loco shortage would mean needing to cancel a run or two and therefore you'd need more cars on the remaining trains to pick up the slack.
Some of the longer sets on the Penn Line that are usually carried by electrics are instead having to be hauled by the GP's, which are only rated for 6 cars, rather than the 7 that they usually carry. If MARC had gotten the MP36s in service on time, then the shortage of electrics wouldn't be a problem, since they *should* be able to haul more than 6 cars on the NEC.

Some of the longer sets on the Penn Line that are usually carried by electrics are instead having to be hauled by the GP's, which are only rated for 6 cars, rather than the 7 that they usually carry. If MARC had gotten the MP36s in service on time, then the shortage of electrics wouldn't be a problem, since they *should* be able to haul more than 6 cars on the NEC.
Ah, ok, that makes sense. Thanks! :)

Back