P42 Facilites

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If you walk out the back door (which is on the Engineers side) its on the right side. From the cab to the back door, you have three doors. It's between doors one and two. Two and three is the prime move. Behind door three is the air compressor. And it is the same on all Genesis motors AFAIK.

So what is the giant half worn down red button looking thing on the floor?

Maybe some sort of 'deadmans' device, on UK traction thats what it would be...
I thought the engineer had a button or plate to press with his hand every 30 seconds, as the constant pressure of a deadman switch on the floor was causing leg problems. Also, set your toolbox on the floor switch, take a nap and...

Check out the big red button on the right in this P40 cab.

Last edited by a moderator:
Do the toilets in modern locomotives retain waste in the locomotive, or can that still be dumped on the tracks? (I presume engineers are potentially better at avoding the use of toilets while on bridges and at stations than the typical passenger.)

If you walk out the back door (which is on the Engineers side) its on the right side. From the cab to the back door, you have three doors. It's between doors one and two. Two and three is the prime move. Behind door three is the air compressor. And it is the same on all Genesis motors AFAIK.

First door is Toilet

Second door is Electrical Cabinet

Third door is engineroom

On P40 and P42 the aircompressor is in back in radiator section.

Do the toilets in modern locomotives retain waste in the locomotive, or can that still be dumped on the tracks? (I presume engineers are potentially better at avoding the use of toilets while on bridges and at stations than the typical passenger.)
Dumping on tracks is illegal the waste is retained and you will see a dump maniford for Yard hookup on engineers side hehind side ladder for cab.

Maybe some sort of 'deadmans' device, on UK traction thats what it would be...
I thought the engineer had a button or plate to press with his hand every 30 seconds, as the constant pressure of a deadman switch on the floor was causing leg problems. Also, set your toolbox on the floor switch, take a nap and...

Check out the big red button on the right in this P40 cab.
That button that you have to press every 30 seconds or so is called an alerter switch. A throttle change counts as an alerter reset, so if you're constantly adjusting the throttle (like during acceleration), you don't need to press it. Interestingly, at least on EMD products (not sure about GE), moving the brake (either the independent or the automatic) does not reset the alerter, so you still need to hit the button if you're slowing down in idle (i.e. not stretch braking)...

On the GEs the alerter is reset by changes to the whisker switch reset (i.e. manual switch), bell status change, horn status change, combined power handle movement, reverser movement, independent brake bail-off, and cab signal/IITS acknowledgement.

Also, big red button is cab signal acknowledge, small yellow button is the alerter whisker reset. On modern engines there's nothing that needs to be constantly depressed because it's too easy to tape it down or put a heavy object on it. Thus why there are these reset mechanisms.

On the GEs the alerter is reset by changes to the whisker switch reset (i.e. manual switch), bell status change, horn status change, combined power handle movement, reverser movement, independent brake bail-off, and cab signal/IITS acknowledgement.
Also, big red button is cab signal acknowledge, small yellow button is the alerter whisker reset. On modern engines there's nothing that needs to be constantly depressed because it's too easy to tape it down or put a heavy object on it. Thus why there are these reset mechanisms.
Ah, yes. Forgot about some of those. I believe it's virtually identical on the EMDs (with the exception of the cab signal acknowledgment, since the ones I worked on didn't have cab signals).

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back