Homemade Railcar Hits Auto

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reading this topic reminds me of the speeder club that uses the rails around Santa Maria (though with the permission of the host railroad--not sure if it's UP or the SMVRR, and it's generally only once or a few times per year; I think they may travel around the country, too).

I'm thinking this homemade rail car thing was just pure redneck, though (whereas a speeder is a real vehicle)!

Reading this topic reminds me of the speeder club that uses the rails around Santa Maria (though with the permission of the host railroad--not sure if it's UP or the SMVRR, and it's generally only once or a few times per year; I think they may travel around the country, too).
I'm thinking this homemade rail car thing was just pure redneck, though (whereas a speeder is a real vehicle)!
There ARE legit (i.e. law-abiding) speeder clubs, and their umbrella organization is the North American Railcar Operators Association.

Here's A Primer on the Motorcar Hobby (pdf).

There ARE legit (i.e. law-abiding) speeder clubs, and their umbrella organization is the North American Railcar Operators Association.
Of course, and I didn't mean to imply otherwise! As I said, the Santa Maria one that I read about a few years ago did their hobby with the permission of the host railroad.

Actually sounds kinda fun, though I'd still rather be on a train any day... :D

Of course, and I didn't mean to imply otherwise! As I said, the Santa Maria one that I read about a few years ago did their hobby with the permission of the host railroad.
Actually sounds kinda fun, though I'd still rather be on a train any day...
I didn't mean to imply that you meant to imply that... Nevermind.

Sounds kinda fun to me, too, and think I might look into tagging along for a run.

Several times a group of speeder enthusiasts have used the rails in my town for their runs. One time they used the track that passes no more than 15 feet from my bedroom window, and I was able to film them on their run by my apartment. A little while later I decided to go for a drive and caught up with them again, this time about 20 miles down the road, at a junction where they switched from one rail line to another. This was also their lunch break so I sat down with some of them and learned about their particular club they belonged to. It was interesting. And, as it turned out, the particular rail line they were switching onto runs past my mother's back yard, about another 20 miles away. So, after they got underway, I raced them to my mom's house (and beat them with plenty of time to spare ) :p And as it turned out, the town where my mother lives was the endpoint of their run on that particular rail line and from there they reversed course and headed back to the junction where I caught up with them originally. So I was able to see and film them on four separate occasions. I realize I have to get out more when watching speeders go by (four different times!!) is a highlight for me :lol: but it was fun anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back