12 replies to this topic

#1 Hanno

Hanno

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 571 posts

Posted 26 March 2009 - 02:01 PM

In June my wife and I (along with three of my sisters and thier husbands) will be taking our first long distance train trip to the western US. We are traveling from BAL to FLG. My wife takes medicine that requires refrigeration. She has a small bag with an ice pack in it that suffices for about 24 hours. Do Superliners have a refrigerator in each car or do you think it would be possible to have the LSA take it somewhere and retrieve it when necessary. Or do you think we should take an ice chest along and pack it with ice as needed? Any thoughts on this issue.

Thank you!

#2 battalion51

battalion51

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,010 posts

Posted 26 March 2009 - 02:04 PM

I would make sure that you advise Amtrak to this, so that it can be put on the manifest. IIRC if a passenger needs medication refrigerated this can be accommodated, but it needs to appear as such on the manifest. Call them and let them know what your needs are so that you can be accommodated accordingly.

The Chief
Rail Miles Travelled: 112,496

#3 gswager

gswager

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,624 posts
  • Interests:mountain recreations, scuba diving, Christian,

Posted 26 March 2009 - 03:05 PM

Big question is are you taking coach or sleeper? Sleeper has an ice chest, filled with ice. Other possibility is going to snack bar for ice. I seconded with Battalion51's suggestion, better safe than sorry.
Entire length in segments- Southwest Chief (LSV-LAX & CHI-LSV), Pacific Surfliner (SLO-LAX & LAX-SAN) & San Joaquin (Oakland stub)
Entire length, end to end- Lake Shore Limited (Boston stub) (11/09), Downeaster (11/09) & Coast Starlight (10/11)
Partial- California Zephyr (SLC-EMY), Hiawatha, Cascades (SEA-PDX) & Acela (BOS-PVD)

#4 ALC Rail Writer

ALC Rail Writer

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,706 posts

Posted 26 March 2009 - 03:07 PM

My experience is that Amtrak is always willing to help those with Rx meds. Sometimes airlines will give hassles-- had a friends who was diabetic, TSA gave her hell for trying to bring sealed hypodermics on a plane to Austrailia!

Amtrak Routes Travelled: Capitol Limited (x12s), Northeast Regional (x10), Pennsylvanian (x10), Empire Builder (x6), Cascades (x4), Empire Service (2), Acela Express (3), New Haven Shuttle (2), Vermonter (1), Lake Shore Limited (x3), Lincoln Service (3), Coast Starlight (x2), California Zephyr(1), Capitol Corridor(1), Southwest Chief (1), Missouri River Runner (1), Downeaster (2), Crescent (2)
Amtrak Rail Miles: 34,568

My most recent Amtrak trip report!

All Aboard Ohio - Advocacy group for intercity travel in Ohio

#5 sky12065

sky12065

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,657 posts

Posted 26 March 2009 - 03:55 PM

My experience is that Amtrak is always willing to help those with Rx meds. Sometimes airlines will give hassles-- had a friends who was diabetic, TSA gave her hell for trying to bring sealed hypodermics on a plane to Australia!

As far as I know the hypodermic needles require a prescription and should not be unsealed until used. I used to give my wife allergy shots!

Did she have proof that they were prescribed like a label or receipt from the pharmacy or even a doctors statement on letterhead or prescription form? If she didn't I can understand the action or concerns of the airlines, but if she did and it was shown when questioned, then giving her a hassle was ridiculous and inexcusable unless the documentation itself was questionable!

"So much track and so little time" or is it "So much time and so little money"
33,970 Total Rail Miles Traveled To Date
- Joe S -

#6 Green Maned Lion

Green Maned Lion

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,754 posts
  • Interests:Sleeping

Posted 26 March 2009 - 06:19 PM

I don't know if they can refrig it for you, but they will be happy to replace your ice!

Travelled: Broadway Limited (1), Lake Shore Limited (6), Capitol Limited (7), Empire Builder (1), Southwest Chief (2), Sunset Limited (1), California Zephyr (3), Coast Starlight (2), Silver Meteor (5), Silver Star (5), Silver Palm (2), Crescent (1), Cardinal (4), Auto Train (4), Pennsylvanian (2), Palmetto (1), Acela Express (1), Empire Service (1), Northeast Regional (11), Keystone Service (1) --- Total Miles: 50,144 --- Total Trains: 61
Most important: Keep it Simple, Stupid!
350vyib.png
Dream of love, dream of me, for you are my love. I love you.
Avatar and sig were done by my fiance, Corvidophile.

#7 Joel N. Weber II

Joel N. Weber II

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,922 posts

Posted 26 March 2009 - 08:28 PM

I had thought there were regulations that prevent Amtrak from putting anything supplied by passengers into Amtrak's refrigerators.

#8 Long Train Runnin'

Long Train Runnin'

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,972 posts

Posted 26 March 2009 - 08:32 PM

Medication

Bring it with you
If you anticipate requiring medication en route, please carry it with you aboard your train.

Do not pack your medication in checked baggage, or leave it packed in your car on the Auto Train, as you will not have access to your checked bags or vehicle during your journey.

Ice
With advanced notice, we can supply ice for your cooler to keep medication cool.

Amtrak has that on there site HERE
34,707 Miles on Amtrak in 38 states. 
Routes Traveled: Acela Express, Adirondack, Amtrak Cascades, California Zephyr, Capitol Limited, Cardinal, Carolinian, City of New Orleans, Coast Starlight, Crescent, Downeaster, Empire Service, Ethan Allen Express, Hiawatha, Keystone Corridor, Lake Shore Limited, Northeast Regional, Maple Leaf, Missouri River Runner, Pacific Surfliner, Pennsylvanian, Southwest Chief, Springfield Shuttles, Texas Eagle, Vermonter.

#9 RRrich

RRrich

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,550 posts

Posted 26 March 2009 - 08:43 PM

In Missouri you do NOT need a prescription for hypodermics with needles - I had a 'script but the Pharmacist was not interested - if he took the 'script he would have to do paperwork - like a label etc. If he just sold them he didn't have to do the paperwork. Since he said it was legal, I trusted him. TSA is another kettle of fish!

Time flies like an Arrow
Fruit Flies like a Banana

#10 Hanno

Hanno

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 571 posts

Posted 29 March 2009 - 08:05 PM

Thanks to all for your comments and suggestions. Since we will be in a sleeper it seems as though getting ice daily would be the easiest way to go.

We are really looking forward to the trip.

Thanks again!

Hanno

#11 amtrakwolverine

amtrakwolverine

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,974 posts
  • Interests:trains,music,guitars

Posted 29 March 2009 - 08:23 PM

I had thought there were regulations that prevent Amtrak from putting anything supplied by passengers into Amtrak's refrigerators.

thats food.

#12 PRR 60

PRR 60

Engineer

• Forum Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,949 posts

Posted 30 March 2009 - 06:41 AM

Amtrak will provide ice for storage of medication. The cooler is the passenger's responsibility.

#13 PRR 60

PRR 60

Engineer

• Forum Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,949 posts

Posted 30 March 2009 - 06:50 AM

In Missouri you do NOT need a prescription for hypodermics with needles - I had a 'script but the Pharmacist was not interested - if he took the 'script he would have to do paperwork - like a label etc. If he just sold them he didn't have to do the paperwork. Since he said it was legal, I trusted him. TSA is another kettle of fish!

From the TSA:

Notify the Security Officer that you have diabetes and are carrying your supplies with you. The following diabetes-related supplies and equipment are allowed through the checkpoint once they have been screened:

- Insulin and insulin loaded dispensing products (vials or box of individual vials, jet injectors, biojectors, epipens, infusers, and preloaded syringes;
- Unlimited number of unused syringes when accompanied by insulin or other injectable medication;
- lancets, blood glucose meters, blood glucose meter test strips, alcohol swabs, meter-testing solutions;
- Insulin pump and insulin pump supplies (cleaning agents, batteries, plastic tubing, infusion kit, catheter, and needle); Insulin pumps and supplies must be accompanied by insulin.
- Glucagon emergency kit;
- Urine ketone test strips;
- Unlimited number of used syringes when transported in Sharps disposal container or other similar hard-surface container.
- Sharps disposal containers or similar hard-surface disposal container for storing used syringes and test strips.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users