Medical Question

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hanno

OBS Chief
In June my wife and I (along with three of my sisters and thier husbands) will be taking our first long distance train trip to the western US. We are traveling from BAL to FLG. My wife takes medicine that requires refrigeration. She has a small bag with an ice pack in it that suffices for about 24 hours. Do Superliners have a refrigerator in each car or do you think it would be possible to have the LSA take it somewhere and retrieve it when necessary. Or do you think we should take an ice chest along and pack it with ice as needed? Any thoughts on this issue.

Thank you!

I would make sure that you advise Amtrak to this, so that it can be put on the manifest. IIRC if a passenger needs medication refrigerated this can be accommodated, but it needs to appear as such on the manifest. Call them and let them know what your needs are so that you can be accommodated accordingly.

Big question is are you taking coach or sleeper? Sleeper has an ice chest, filled with ice. Other possibility is going to snack bar for ice. I seconded with Battalion51's suggestion, better safe than sorry.

My experience is that Amtrak is always willing to help those with Rx meds. Sometimes airlines will give hassles-- had a friends who was diabetic, TSA gave her hell for trying to bring sealed hypodermics on a plane to Austrailia!

My experience is that Amtrak is always willing to help those with Rx meds. Sometimes airlines will give hassles-- had a friends who was diabetic, TSA gave her hell for trying to bring sealed hypodermics on a plane to Australia!
As far as I know the hypodermic needles require a prescription and should not be unsealed until used. I used to give my wife allergy shots!

Did she have proof that they were prescribed like a label or receipt from the pharmacy or even a doctors statement on letterhead or prescription form? If she didn't I can understand the action or concerns of the airlines, but if she did and it was shown when questioned, then giving her a hassle was ridiculous and inexcusable unless the documentation itself was questionable!

Medication
Bring it with you

If you anticipate requiring medication en route, please carry it with you aboard your train.

Do not pack your medication in checked baggage, or leave it packed in your car on the Auto Train, as you will not have access to your checked bags or vehicle during your journey.

Ice

With advanced notice, we can supply ice for your cooler to keep medication cool.
Amtrak has that on there site HERE

In Missouri you do NOT need a prescription for hypodermics with needles - I had a 'script but the Pharmacist was not interested - if he took the 'script he would have to do paperwork - like a label etc. If he just sold them he didn't have to do the paperwork. Since he said it was legal, I trusted him. TSA is another kettle of fish!

Thanks to all for your comments and suggestions. Since we will be in a sleeper it seems as though getting ice daily would be the easiest way to go.

We are really looking forward to the trip.

Thanks again!

Hanno

In Missouri you do NOT need a prescription for hypodermics with needles - I had a 'script but the Pharmacist was not interested - if he took the 'script he would have to do paperwork - like a label etc. If he just sold them he didn't have to do the paperwork. Since he said it was legal, I trusted him. TSA is another kettle of fish!
From the TSA:

Notify the Security Officer that you have diabetes and are carrying your supplies with you. The following diabetes-related supplies and equipment are allowed through the checkpoint once they have been screened:
- Insulin and insulin loaded dispensing products (vials or box of individual vials, jet injectors, biojectors, epipens, infusers, and preloaded syringes;

- Unlimited number of unused syringes when accompanied by insulin or other injectable medication;

- lancets, blood glucose meters, blood glucose meter test strips, alcohol swabs, meter-testing solutions;

- Insulin pump and insulin pump supplies (cleaning agents, batteries, plastic tubing, infusion kit, catheter, and needle); Insulin pumps and supplies must be accompanied by insulin.

- Glucagon emergency kit;

- Urine ketone test strips;

- Unlimited number of used syringes when transported in Sharps disposal container or other similar hard-surface container.

- Sharps disposal containers or similar hard-surface disposal container for storing used syringes and test strips.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back