2004 Summer Train Trip-Part 1

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AMTRAK-P42

Conductor
Day 1-June 8th, 2004-Train #19 ATL-NOL

I awoke this morning after a restless night of sleep. I had monitored the progress of #19 throughout the night. It had never really fallen off 40 minutes behind schedule, so I knew to expect it into Atlanta right on time. I hopped in the shower and finished packing my bathroom-tilities. I made it to the Amtrak station right at 800am. NS was having a busy day today, as two intermodal trains roared through in the 20 minutes following. At about 8:47 I heard the horn and shortly thereafter #19 emerged from under the station, ponies #22 and #83 in the lead, followed by the normal consist of:

2 Ponies (22,83)

1 Dorm

2 Viewliners

1 Heritage Diner

1 Amfleet II lounge

4 Amfleet Coaches

1 Baggage

1 Express Boxcar

We boarded promptly and departed Atlanta right on time. We made our way through the twisty roadbed that lies between Anniston and Atlanta, where we arrived 9 minutes late due to a broken crossing gate, which we were required to flag at. The quick ride to Birmingham was uneventful, except for the stubborn switch required to enter the Birmingham station track, which almost always causes problems. We arrived 8 minutes behind schedule, and departed much the same. Now this has always been my favorite part of the ride, between Birmingham, AL and Tuscaloosa, AL because I knew at somepoint between these two stations we would have to meet #20. Now on the crescent route, the Northbound is generally given priority, since the Southbound has almost reached the end of its journey. Almost exactly half way between these two stations, the Engineer reported an approach signal, my fav. (besides an all red). I knew that we were getting put on the siding for #20. Things were slightly complicated because a NS freight occupied the better half of the siding, so the dispatcher told us that we would be required to pull into the siding, right behind the freight, wait for #20 to pass, reverse out of the siding, and overtake the freight. This was good news, as I knew it would indefinitely make us late (something I thoroughly enjoy, as Late train=More time on the train). We pulled into the siding and waited 15 mintues for #20 to shoot by. Her track speed was about 75 so I was not able to catch the Engine #’s. We backed out and were on our way in about 20 minutes.

We arrived into Tuscaloosa 36 minutes late. The remainder of the trip through the swamps and low-lying farm country would give way to the bayous of Louisiana as we neared New Orleans. We stayed right about 40 minutes behind schedule, so I knew with the 30 minutes of padding between Slidell, LA and New Orleans, LA that we would probably arrive about 10 minutes late. Disappointing, yes, but I knew that tomorrows Sunset Limited was sure to come through.

As we crossed lake Ponchatrain, the engineer reported that the rail grinder that had passed through about 20 minutes before hand had left about a dozen ties still aflame.

#19 reversed into NOUPT 17 minutes late, at 8:07pm. The increase in security can be noticed immediately upon exit of the train. I set down my stuff and did not get 50 feet before an officer, who had obviously been following me, told me that I could not go up there (meaning the head end). When he saw my camera, he hesitated, but still insisted that I must return to the station. He also questioned me about my scanner, doing more of a triple take then a double take when he saw it in my pocket.

I took the Crescent in early april from WAS to NOL. I loved it!

My favorite part was the part just before arriving in NOUPT when there are all of those fishing shacks.

Lake Ponchartrain scares me I have been scared of bridges ever since watching a show about the Sunset wrecking into Bayou Canot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back