Working @ Amtrak

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BLOND37

OBS Chief
i'm just curious whats the word on the street here with getting a train attendant job..

i'm just curious whats the word on the street here with getting a train attendant job..
well.. first you'd have to go to the amtrak jobs section on amtrak.com.. last i checked there were a couple of listings

do you have any specific questions?

well.. first you'd have to go to the amtrak jobs section on amtrak.com.. last i checked there were a couple of listings

do you have any specific questions?

boing i knew that :)

what sort of qualifications? i mean how hard or how much trainging do you need to punch a ticket and say hi..(joke)

Last edited by a moderator:
right now LA crew base is hiring for 15 new train and service attendant jobs. You will be hire and train in both crafts. Most jobs only stay up for 1 week. They usually hire for the summer season as they are neeeded. The jobs are posted and updated every day .

how did you find that job? i cant pull up any?

Is a "train attendant" the same as an Assistant Conductor?

YES!!! :)

but i dont want to work or live in WI
NO! :) These are not the same thing at all. An assistant conductor is part of the train crew; a train attendant is part of the service crew. Very different jobs.
Among other things, the train attendant will ride the train for the entire length of its run (I think the union contract says they get four hours of sleep each night), whereas an assistant conductor is limited to 12 hours of service, and will normally be scheduled for shorter shifts if the train doesn't get delayed, so that if the train does get a little bit delayed, he/she can keep working without exceeding the 12 hours and hopefully reach the location where he/she was scheduled to end his/her shift so they don't have to send another crew to the train in the middle of nowhere.

The infamous train 194 doesn't have any coach attendants; I believe it just has an engineer, conductor, and assistant conductor(s) who handle parts of the route, and an attendant in the cafe car who I believe rides the train all the way from Newport News to Boston. I believe Boston and New Haven are both crew bases.

Train Attendant and Ass't Conductor are NOT the same, but if OP is interested in the Ass't Conductor position, good enough!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back