california zephyr & electrical outlets

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

suzysu

Hi. I will be riding the California Zephyr from Oakland to Salt Lake City (overnight) on December 1st. I will be traveling with a four- year- old. I have never traveled on amtrack before and am apprehensive about making the trip. (I am a single mom.) I know electrical outlets will be critical to our success on the train. As long as we can plug in my daughter's dvd player she'll be fine. I am traveling coach (I couldn't afford the roomette) and I am wondering if anyone knows how available outlets are on that train.

Are there outlets in coach? If not, where are they? Would it be better to upgrade to first class? Does anyone know how much it usually costs to upgrade?

Thanks!

If your car has been refurbed then there'll probably be a set at every seat. If not there's usually a set near the center of the car top level.

If you dont have an outlet you can usually go to the Sightseer Lounge car and plug it in to recharge the battery. Usually kids only need a DVD player at night, during the day there's so much to see.

Do yourself, your daughter, and your battery a favor and take her to the lounge during the day.

Hi. I will be riding the California Zephyr from Oakland to Salt Lake City (overnight) on December 1st. I will be traveling with a four- year- old. I have never traveled on amtrack before and am apprehensive about making the trip. (I am a single mom.) I know electrical outlets will be critical to our success on the train. As long as we can plug in my daughter's dvd player she'll be fine. I am traveling coach (I couldn't afford the roomette) and I am wondering if anyone knows how available outlets are on that train. Are there outlets in coach? If not, where are they? Would it be better to upgrade to first class? Does anyone know how much it usually costs to upgrade?

Thanks!
also pack an extension cord and a power cord with several outlets, that way if someone else is using it you can share.

also on most cars if not all there is a hidden out let under the seats near the center of the car for the car cleaners vacuums most people don't even know it is there. you might get some strange looks if you go crawling around on the floor looking for it (bring a small flashlight too, you will use it) but once the people realize it is for their peace and comfort too since they will not have your daughter bored on the car, they probably will be understanding. also charge your batteries when ever and where ever you can.

have a great trip

Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back