Subway or taxi from NYP to World trade center??

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

amtrakmichigan

Lead Service Attendant
On our return trip from florida my daughter and I will be tranfering from the Silver Meteor to the Lake Shore. She would like to see ground zero if time permits. We will be doing this on a Tuesday between 11:30am and 3:00pm. I would like to ask for some advice for this little excursion.

Subway:

- To get to world trade center from penn, at which station and train would I make a transfer?

- Would these subway trains be considered to be safe during the time i would be going?

- What is the aprox. travel time?

Taxi:

- What would be the aprox. travel time and fare at this time of day?

Thanks for your help guys.

When you get off Amtrak, head towards the Eighth Avenue subway, and look for the E train. You don't even have to leave Penn to get to the E. Take the downtown E from Penn Station all the way to the last stop - it terminates at the World Trade Center.

Then walk towards the front of the subway after you get off, and you are literally right there.

You can also take the A and C trains, but those stop a bit farther north from the WTC. Unless you have a lot of people with you, take the subway. Traffic in the city could be a joke, depending on what time you get in.

Travel time should be about 10 minutes (probably less).

I've been riding the subway for years at all hours, and have never had a problem. The fact that you will be in the city during business hours makes it all the safer.

Last edited by a moderator:
Scheduled run time from 34th Street/Penn Station to the WTC is exactly 10 minutes.

Amtrakmichigan,

I too would recommend the subway as the easiest. You'll find that Amtrak/New Jersey Transit is on the upper level of Penn Station, while the LIRR is on the lower level. You'll need to head for the lower level to connect with the 8th Avenue line and the E train. You can get into the subway from outside the station, but it's far easier to remain within Penn. For 8 bucks total, $2 X 2 people X RT, you can reach the WTC easily on the E train.

Just to open the door of the taxi and sit in it will cost you $2.50 and thats before you move an inch in heavy traffic. If I were driving, I'd guess that at that hour of the day it would probably take at least 15 to 20 minutes, if not more. And remember that the taxi meter keeps increasing whether you're moving or sitting in traffic, 40 cents for each 1/5 of a mile or 60 seconds not moving. The mileage fare should come out to about $8.00 one way and of course there is no way to predict how much gets added for stopped time. So already you're over 10 bucks before adding charges for being stopped in traffic or at lights, as well as money for a tip. And that's for a one way trip!

On our return trip from florida my daughter and I will be tranfering from the Silver Meteor to the Lake Shore. She would like to see ground zero if time permits. We will be doing this on a Tuesday between 11:30am and 3:00pm. I would like to ask for some advice for this little excursion.
Subway:

- To get to world trade center from penn, at which station and train would I make a transfer?

- Would these subway trains be considered to be safe during the time i would be going?

- What is the aprox. travel time?

Taxi:

- What would be the aprox. travel time and fare at this time of day?

Thanks for your help guys.

one other way if you have a little time and don't have to shlep bags.

get off the train in Newark Penn Station.

go a couple tracks over and take a PATH train direct to the World Trade Center

then take the E subway back to Penn Station, might take a little bit longer. but considering you won't be lost in Penn station New York it might even be faster.

a nice half hour side trip could be to go to the basement of the Newark train station and ride the City Subway before going on to the WTC.

fare will be about the same.

Bob

I'd back up the Newark suggestion. The Path train gives you an exceptional view of the site as it rides around it pulling into the World Trade Center station. And Newark is a much nicer station than New York Penn.

I'd back up the Newark suggestion. The Path train gives you an exceptional view of the site as it rides around it pulling into the World Trade Center station. And Newark is a much nicer station than New York Penn.
The problem with Newark is, luggage. Assuming that they are in a sleeper, they'll be able to leave their luggage in the Club Acela. They won't be able to do that in Newark.

Actually, it will only cost you seven dollars. Two people can use the same Metrocard, as long as it's a "pay per ride" card, which is what you want. If you buy a Metrocard for seven dollars or more you automatically get a fifteen percent bonus. So you'll have eight dollars and five cents on the card, and the four fares will cost eight dollars. You'll have a card with a nickel already on it for future use!

Scheduled run time from 34th Street/Penn Station to the WTC is exactly 10 minutes.

Amtrakmichigan,

I too would recommend the subway as the easiest. You'll find that Amtrak/New Jersey Transit is on the upper level of Penn Station, while the LIRR is on the lower level. You'll need to head for the lower level to connect with the 8th Avenue line and the E train. You can get into the subway from outside the station, but it's far easier to remain within Penn. For 8 bucks total, $2 X 2 people X RT, you can reach the WTC easily on the E train.

Just to open the door of the taxi and sit in it will cost you $2.50 and thats before you move an inch in heavy traffic. If I were driving, I'd guess that at that hour of the day it would probably take at least 15 to 20 minutes, if not more. And remember that the taxi meter keeps increasing whether you're moving or sitting in traffic, 40 cents for each 1/5 of a mile or 60 seconds not moving. The mileage fare should come out to about $8.00 one way and of course there is no way to predict how much gets added for stopped time. So already you're over 10 bucks before adding charges for being stopped in traffic or at lights, as well as money for a tip. And that's for a one way trip!

Sure, except they could just ride that PATH to World Trade Center, stay on it, take it to Grove or JSQ, swap to the other PATH, and take that to 34th street, which is just a tiny walk to NYP.

Save $4.50 in the process, too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back