what about small animals in carriers?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
L

Liz K

I need to travel between NYC and Charlotte this week. My cat is a very, very good, quiet traveler and perfectly happy to stay in his carrier. I really to take him with me. Is it possible to discreetly put him under the seat without arousing suspicion?

I need to travel between NYC and Charlotte this week. My cat is a very, very good, quiet traveler and perfectly happy to stay in his carrier. I really to take him with me. Is it possible to discreetly put him under the seat without arousing suspicion?
I believe the answer here is "you will be not be allowed to board the train with your cat, and you will be removed from the train at the first station after your cat is discovered if you sneak him on board", unless you luck into all of: a very forgiving conductor and car attendant, who are both willing to bend the rules on the risk of severe penalties from Amtrak potentially including losing their jobs; and a carload of passengers none of whom are allergic to or otherwise object to your cat--a single complaint would probably get you removed from the train regardless of how willing an Amtrak employee may have been to "look the other way" in the absence of an actual complaint.

I guarantee you that, should you sneak your cat onto the train, he will meow audibly at least once between New York and North Carolina, or at least give an indication to someone that "something in that bag is alive". I would not risk this!

It's very unfortunate that Amtrak has this policy, but that's the way it is. From a FAQ at Pets on the Go,

The National Association of Rail Passengers ... said that until 1976, pets were allowed in the sleeping car, in the parlor cars and in baggage. Then in 1977, "there were new requirements for heat and air conditioning for baggage cars (and possibly for providing water). Amtrak determined that it would need to spend $13.8 million on baggage car changes and special animal shelters in stations to satisfy the new regulations, and ended the carriage of pets rather than comply."

It's not entirely clear why the requirements for baggage car improvements affected the policy for pets in sleeping cars, but then much Amtrak policy is not entirely clear....

The way to try to change this policy is, as it nearly always is with Amtrak, to write your Congressman and Senators, as they control the budget; but obviously that won't help with your upcoming trip :(

(By the way, that $13.8 million in 1977 dollars would be $49.8 million in 2007 dollars, using this inflation calculator. And of course, it might cost even more than that, since general requirements for humane treatment of animals may have changed in the past thirty years.)

Last edited by a moderator:
I would imagine pets being allowed in Sleepers was done away with after concern of potential allergic reactions from the next ocupants who encounter dander or hair. And I'm sure there had been enough complaints from attendants having to clean up after pets as well.

I would imagine pets being allowed in Sleepers was done away with after concern of potential allergic reactions from the next ocupants who encounter dander or hair. And I'm sure there had been enough complaints from attendants having to clean up after pets as well.
Back in the day my wife and I, and three kids, were making a cross country camping trip. On the way back from CO we finally caved in and took a motel room in Salina Kansas. At 3 AM two of the kids had asthma attacks due to animals having been in the room at some point. (pets welcome was not posted anywhere) We left immediately, and within an hour the kids were OK. It's not quite that easy to get off an Amtrak train at 3 AM, especially if it's moving. ;)

It's very unfortunate that Amtrak has this policy, but that's the way it is.
I don't think the policy is unfortunate at all. Service animals notwithstanding, those who feel the need to have their dogs, cats (mine's name is Intruder), parrots, monkeys, or wildebeests accompany them should use private methods of transportation, e.g. driving, or look into booking a seat on a circus train. Ringling Bros., Barnum & Bailey may have seats available, if you don't mind riding with midgets and clowns.

It's very unfortunate that Amtrak has this policy, but that's the way it is.
I don't think the policy is unfortunate at all. Service animals notwithstanding, those who feel the need to have their dogs, cats (mine's name is Intruder), parrots, monkeys, or wildebeests accompany them should use private methods of transportation, e.g. driving, or look into booking a seat on a circus train. Ringling Bros., Barnum & Bailey may have seats available, if you don't mind riding with midgets and clowns.
I've got to stop laughing so I can put this thought together. :lol:

Service animals (like a "seeing eye" wildebeest ;) ) are necessary for some individuals. Seriously --- is there any provision for a specially designated sleeper for people with service animals? I'm not allergic, but my kids are.

Service animals (like a "seeing eye" wildebeest ;) ) are necessary for some individuals. Seriously --- is there any provision for a specially designated sleeper for people with service animals? I'm not allergic, but my kids are.
I would hope that the attendant would take the time to do a thorough cleaning of the room after they disembarked (ok, I tried for the pun).

That is quite different from allowing everyone/anyone to have an animal, which would, obviously, require the entire train to be thoroughly cleaned after each stop.

I would hope that the attendant would take the time to do a thorough cleaning of the room after they disembarked (ok, I tried for the pun).

That is quite different from allowing everyone/anyone to have an animal, which would, obviously, require the entire train to be thoroughly cleaned after each stop.
Excellent shot with the pun. :D But I think you're barking up the wrong tree.

What I was getting at was: Does Amtrak have a specific dedicated bedroom, or roomette, or section of coach where someone with a service animal (e.g. wildebeest :unsure: ) will be assigned, just to make sure that that's the only area that has to be cleared of animal dander at each change of passenger?

That would be the cat's meow for any car attendant, I'd think.

What I was getting at was: Does Amtrak have a specific dedicated bedroom, or roomette, or section of coach where someone with a service animal (e.g. wildebeest :unsure: ) will be assigned, just to make sure that that's the only area that has to be cleared of animal dander at each change of passenger?
I was getting at, that I would expect the sleeping car attendant would know that there was a service dog in roomette 7, or bedroom B, and go thru some specific cleaning processes afterward before the next passenger used that room.

BTW, does the sleeping car attendant have a vacuum? In all these years, I have never once seen them using one. :D

I was getting at, that I would expect the sleeping car attendant would know that there was a service dog in roomette 7, or bedroom B, and go thru some specific cleaning processes afterward before the next passenger used that room.

BTW, does the sleeping car attendant have a vacuum? In all these years, I have never once seen them using one. :D
I called Amtrak to find out. After checking (20 minutes) with her service staff the agent told me that after each change of passengers, each sleeper is cleaned, using a "filtrated" bag, (whatever that is) when the sleeper had contained a service animal. She went on to say that nobody could define "down to how many microns" the filters worked, and that I should keep that in mind if I was allergic to animal dander.

Dander are many unanswered questions, but the attendant must be told that there was an animal in there.

Thus ends this shaggy dawg tale.

From the Amtrak page about service animals:

"Only service animals permitted: We allow trained service animals accompanying passengers with disabilities in all customer areas in our stations, trains and Amtrak Thruway motorcoaches."

To me, that means service animals are allowed in coach, sleepers, lounge, diner, etc. There is no way to thoroughly clean all of those areas until the train's usual servicing.

On disability lists, there have been a number of discussions on rights of person with disability (PWD) vs rights of person with allergies to a service animal. On account of ADA and other federal and state laws, rights of PWD trump rights of people with allergies, unless the allergy is so severe it counts as a disability. In that case, the store/restaurant/motel/etc must find a way to serve both. I think the theory is something along the lines of a person with asthma can access public accommodations by carrying medication and taking it as needed, but there is no equivalent for blindness, quadreplegia, etc.

That said, many PWDs with service dogs (not all) are aware of allergies and try to be considerate.

To me, that means service animals are allowed in coach, sleepers, lounge, diner, etc. There is no way to thoroughly clean all of those areas until the train's usual servicing.
I don't think that someone who needs a service animal will really wonder thru every single car of a train. I am not disabled, and I don't wonder the entire train. It is much more likely they will stick to one or two places; coach seat and bathroom; roomette and dining car. Plus these animals are very well trained. They would stick to the floor, and not be jumping up on seats and beds. IMHO, that would greatly limit the areas of the train which need to be cleaned afterward.

All of this is based on service animals being very infrequent on-board Amtrak LD trains. In all my years, I have only ever personally seen one.

I wonder if this would be ok?

catcarrier.jpg

(no animals were hurt in the production of this illustration)

I'm traveling from NYC to Charlotte this Wednesday and my dad will be cat-sitting instead.

Just have a friend or family member take care of your cat.

On disability lists, there have been a number of discussions on rights of person with disability (PWD) vs rights of person with allergies to a service animal. On account of ADA and other federal and state laws, rights of PWD trump rights of people with allergies, unless the allergy is so severe it counts as a disability. In that case, the store/restaurant/motel/etc must find a way to serve both. I think the theory is something along the lines of a person with asthma can access public accommodations by carrying medication and taking it as needed, but there is no equivalent for blindness, quadreplegia, etc.
If you consider the amount of assistance that Amtrak crews provide to mobility impaired passengers, it's a little hard for me to believe that there's really much a dog could do for a blind passenger that the Amtrak crew couldn't while a blind passenger is on the train. I also can think of at least two blind people who as far as I know survive just fine without a dog. On the other hand, I can also see where a blind passenger who is used to being with their dog might be most comfortable having their service animal with them for the trip, and a blind passenger might well want their service animal at their destination.

Someone who's allergic to, say, both dust mites and dogs may not be able to identify the source of a particular allergic reaction. Dust mites tend to grow in carpet and in cloth seats, and I have not been convinced that there is any great approach to cleaning that thoroughly gets rid of dust mites. Dust mites also apparently can grow in cat hair. And as far as I know, there is no medication that effectively treats a dust mite allergy; doctors tend to recommend trying to reduce exposure.

For all that I don't personally like being exposed to animals, and I think it would be especially rude to expose me to an animal and then cover it up so that I don't consider trying to get myself to a different car where I'd be away from that animal, I also think there are enough pets in America that telling pet owners not to take public transportation is not a good solution. We really need designated pet cars, I think.

For all that I don't personally like being exposed to animals, and I think it would be especially rude to expose me to an animal and then cover it up so that I don't consider trying to get myself to a different car where I'd be away from that animal, I also think there are enough pets in America that telling pet owners not to take public transportation is not a good solution. We really need designated pet cars, I think.
Well you wouldn't have to sit right next to a service dog in coach, as Amtrak automatically tickets for the dog. That means that the owner gets one seat and the dog, even though they don't actually use the seat, get's the other.

We really need designated pet cars, I think.
No, no, no, and again NO. Trains are not rolling kennels, nor should they be. Among the relaxing features of Amtrak travel is relief from the neighbors' dogs barking at all hours.

EDIT: I'm awake now, when I would like to be sleeping, because there's a dog barking. Would anybody want this on a train?

EDIT: I'm awake now, when I would like to be sleeping, because there's a dog barking. Would anybody want this on a train?
Is the bark of a dog in some other car of a train actually louder than the train horn?

Or, how about entire dedicated trains for pets on corridors where Amtrak offers frequent service?

Is the bark of a dog in some other car of a train actually louder than the train horn?
A few month back, I was awaken at 5am on a Sunday morning to the sound of several dogs barking, at a hotel (Hampton Inn) which did not allow pets. I waited to see if the barking soon stopped, but eventually decided it wasn't. I got a hold of the front desk, only to find out that there was nothing they can do, as the dog owner had already (just) checked out.

I filled a complaint with the hotel management anyway. Apparently, this guest sweat talked the desk clerk into letting him stay with his dogs. That will not happen again.

BTW, I am a dog person. It wasn't that the noise of the dog barking that awoke me and kept me awake, but rather that barking dog(s) need of attention and I felt this need to ensure it happened. Same would go on a train. If I heard a dog barking, I would feel this overwhelming need to get up and take him/her for a walk.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back