Superliner Coach Lower Level vs Upper Level Seat

9 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_MDRailfan_*

Guest_MDRailfan_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 May 2008 - 08:59 AM

I just booked Auto Train going southbound in roomette but due to high pricing (and I booked when dates opened for next April)I 'm returning by coach. As I never took coach before, I was not sure whether to book upper or lower. I chose lower(thought it would be quieter). Did I make a good decision?

#2 the_traveler

the_traveler

Engineer

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,828 posts
  • Interests:Planning my next trip

Posted 18 May 2008 - 09:49 AM

I'm not certain about the AT if when you select a lower level seat that you must sit on the lower level, but on other trains yu can sit on either level.

As far as "less noise", it depends on what kind you mean. You do not have as many people walking by (it will be on the upper level), but because you are closer to the tracks, there may be more track noise! And anytime you want to go to another car (such as the dining car or lounge), you would have to climb the stairs. (Access between cars is from the upper level only.)
Take it easy .......

Take the train instead!

#3 Rail Freak

Rail Freak

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,036 posts
  • Interests:Experiencing the country by RAIL!!!
    U.S. & Native American History

Posted 18 May 2008 - 10:36 AM

I'm not certain about the AT if when you select a lower level seat that you must sit on the lower level, but on other trains yu can sit on either level.

As far as "less noise", it depends on what kind you mean. You do not have as many people walking by (it will be on the upper level), but because you are closer to the tracks, there may be more track noise! And anytime you want to go to another car (such as the dining car or lounge), you would have to climb the stairs. (Access between cars is from the upper level only.)

How many steps are there from lower to upper level?

A Rookie No More! But Still A Lot Of Track To Travel !!!
Silver Meteor #97(5) & #98 (4), Silver Star #91 (2), Capitol Limited #29 & #30(4), Empire Builder #7,#8,#27(2) &#28(4) Coast Starlight #11 (6) & #14(5), California Zephyr #5 (2) & #6 (5), Cascades #506, City of New Orleans #58 (1) #59 (2), South West Chief #3 (3), Lake Shore Limited #49, Maple Leaf #63 San Joaquin #714, Pacific Surfliner #774, Texas Eagle #422, Cardinal #50, Crescent #19, Sunset Limited #1. Approx. 55,730 miles & 41 states!

HAVE FUN

#4 the_traveler

the_traveler

Engineer

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,828 posts
  • Interests:Planning my next trip

Posted 18 May 2008 - 11:36 AM

I'm not 100% certain, but I think 4-5 to a 90º turn, another 4-5 steps to another 90º turn and then another 4-5 steps - all within about 1/3 of a car width!
Take it easy .......

Take the train instead!

#5 Rail Freak

Rail Freak

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,036 posts
  • Interests:Experiencing the country by RAIL!!!
    U.S. & Native American History

Posted 18 May 2008 - 11:39 AM

I'm not 100% certain, but I think 4-5 to a 90º turn, another 4-5 steps to another 90º turn and then another 4-5 steps - all within about 1/3 of a car width!

Could be interesting after a few social beverages! ;)

A Rookie No More! But Still A Lot Of Track To Travel !!!
Silver Meteor #97(5) & #98 (4), Silver Star #91 (2), Capitol Limited #29 & #30(4), Empire Builder #7,#8,#27(2) &#28(4) Coast Starlight #11 (6) & #14(5), California Zephyr #5 (2) & #6 (5), Cascades #506, City of New Orleans #58 (1) #59 (2), South West Chief #3 (3), Lake Shore Limited #49, Maple Leaf #63 San Joaquin #714, Pacific Surfliner #774, Texas Eagle #422, Cardinal #50, Crescent #19, Sunset Limited #1. Approx. 55,730 miles & 41 states!

HAVE FUN

#6 AlanB

AlanB

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,887 posts

Posted 18 May 2008 - 12:26 PM

On the AT it's a pretty safe bet that if you book lower, you'll be on the lower. The reason for that is that one checks in at a counter long before boarding the train. That checkin includes lifting your ticket(s), and giving you a seat check with an assigned seat number & car number. And that seat will be assigned based upon what you booked.

Now perhaps if the train isn't running full and meet a nice agent, you can request to be reassigned to the upper level. Or perhaps with the right car attendant and an empty seat available they might let you move your seat once the train is under way. But if a particular level is important to you, then it's best to book that level from the get go.
Alan,

Take care and take trains!

#7 Guest_MDRailfan_*

Guest_MDRailfan_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 May 2008 - 04:06 PM

On the AT it's a pretty safe bet that if you book lower, you'll be on the lower. The reason for that is that one checks in at a counter long before boarding the train. That checkin includes lifting your ticket(s), and giving you a seat check with an assigned seat number & car number. And that seat will be assigned based upon what you booked.

Now perhaps if the train isn't running full and meet a nice agent, you can request to be reassigned to the upper level. Or perhaps with the right car attendant and an empty seat available they might let you move your seat once the train is under way. But if a particular level is important to you, then it's best to book that level from the get go.

Are there any diagrams that show the upper & lower level on Superliner Coach?

#8 AlanB

AlanB

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,887 posts

Posted 18 May 2008 - 04:14 PM

Scroll down this page.
Alan,

Take care and take trains!

#9 wisEBfan

wisEBfan

Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 18 May 2008 - 08:34 PM

This video shows the stairs: Stairs in Superliner

#10 SharonLPK

SharonLPK

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 18 May 2008 - 09:33 PM

Scroll down this page.

That's real interesting, thanks for pointing it out!!

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users