Amtrak and Pets???

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mercedeslove

Lead Service Attendant
So I might possibly be traveling between Chi and Flagstaff AZ a few times over the summer. I am getting a Sun Conure (my other parrot died a week ago today and I am still a mess) in a few weeks and since he is still a baby and requires hand feeding, it means he has to be with me. Does Amtrak allow pets on aboard.

So I might possibly be traveling between Chi and Flagstaff AZ a few times over the summer. I am getting a Sun Conure (my other parrot died a week ago today and I am still a mess) in a few weeks and since he is still a baby and requires hand feeding, it means he has to be with me. Does Amtrak allow pets on aboard.

No, but a "service animal" is permitted if you have proper documentation and you maintain control of it at all times. You will need to contact Amtrak for details and any policy guidelines (which may have changed since my departure).

OBS gone Freight...

No, but a "service animal" is permitted if you have proper documentation and you maintain control of it at all times. You will need to contact Amtrak for details and any policy guidelines (which may have changed since my departure).

OBS gone Freight...

bummer. oh well guess I will have to freaking drive.

Oh please don't freaking drive. That would scare your poor bird. Driving carefully should be adequate. :huh:

Last edited by a moderator:
We were on the CZ in March and couldn't believe our eyes. Some gal had her dog with her on the train. Sorry folks, but this wasn't a service dog. It was at best...an ankle biter. Maybe 10lb dog at best. We couldn't figure out how she pulled that one off. I was trying to talk the dog into posting on the site here with a trip report! :lol:

We were on the CZ in March and couldn't believe our eyes. Some gal had her dog with her on the train. Sorry folks, but this wasn't a service dog. It was at best...an ankle biter. Maybe 10lb dog at best. We couldn't figure out how she pulled that one off. I was trying to talk the dog into posting on the site here with a trip report! :lol:
HI Al, there's different categories of service dogs these days than just the standard Seeing Eye Dog. I know someone who is training a miniature schnauzer to be a service dog for an autistic girl. I guess having an animal to focus on helps them to function and not get overwhelmed by stimulus in the environment.

I think there's kind of a wide range of applications for therapy, oh for instance have you heard of those dogs that sense when an epileptic person is about to have a seizure? That's so interesting. I guess any dog with the right personality and aptitude could be one of those, it wouldn't have to be some huge lab or german shepherd.

At the airport we've seen service animals as diverse as parrots and pigs. There is a class of people who do get service animal letters to avoid our pet fee ($75) or if their pet is too large to be brought on board. But I'd say those are definitely the small minority.

HI Al, there's different categories of service dogs these days than just the standard Seeing Eye Dog. I know someone who is training a miniature schnauzer to be a service dog for an autistic girl. I guess having an animal to focus on helps them to function and not get overwhelmed by stimulus in the environment.

I think there's kind of a wide range of applications for therapy, oh for instance have you heard of those dogs that sense when an epileptic person is about to have a seizure? That's so interesting. I guess any dog with the right personality and aptitude could be one of those, it wouldn't have to be some huge lab or german shepherd.
Yeah, but a parrot or frog or etc., AFLAC!!!!

:p :p :eek: :p :p

I recall a few years ago someone managed to get a fairly large pig onto a flight, claiming it was a "service animal." Well, once at altitude, the pig panicked and went on a rampage in First Class, including unloading himself in the galley. I guess the pig was just trying to fit in with some of the passengers I have encountered on planes :lol:

Sometime ago on this forum there was a post like this. Someone had been on the CZ. A girl got on with a small dog. She was a regular and known by the conductor. She only went one stop down the line and as is Amtraks policy was put off the train. Thus following policy after discovery of the dog by the conductor. However this seemed to be a regular routine with the girl who rode the one stop to visit someone at the next stop. So everyone comes out a winner. The conductor does his job, the girl gets to take her dog along for the ride and the other pax see the policy enforced. :)

I once saw a woman with a empty cage. I asked her what was in the cage couldn't see any animal in it . Turns out it was a tiny puppy in her hand bag.

Not to memtion the service dog that got away from it owner at a stop and we had to retreive it that trick took 3 people.

I love all Pets but please leave the snakes at home hehehehe service animal plz

well goes to show it could be anything. :p :p :p :D

Loves Florida's trains and works on them

Last edited by a moderator:
Mercedes, you should see what you can do with it rather than drive. Just make sure you keep it quiet in coach ;)

I can imagine a bird would be very difficult to sneak on board, even in a sleeper.

One night I was working the ticket counter and a college student heading home for the holidays showed up to check in. He was carrying a small red duffle bag, and inquired as to whether or not it was appropriate carry on size. I told him it would be fine.

"Oh, that's good!" he exclaimed. "Because I have everything I own in here! Including my hamster!" He proceeded to unzip the bag a bit and I saw a hamster ball, complete with a hamster, stuffed in around his clothes. I informed him the hamster couldn't be brought on board and gave him his boarding passes. While I can't say for certain, I do believe he snuck the creature through security and took it on the flight without incident.

Mercedes, you should see what you can do with it rather than drive. Just make sure you keep it quiet in coach ;)

He's not even two months old yet, so i think keeping Jalapeno (his name) quiet would be hard. I am sure I will end up driving, I just like how convenient Amtrak is.

Last year we were on the Texas Eagle in sleepers and a woman in our car had smuggled on a small dog. I guess the rocking of the train made the dog yap and she was visited shortly by the Conductor. When the Conductor informed her that dogs weren't allowed on the train and either the dog or her and the dog would be departing the train at the next stop, things got down right nasty. She hurled a steady stream of obscenities at the Conductor for the next few minutes. The Conductor finally told her knock it off or there will a sheriff there to greet her on arrival. That seemed to quiet her down some but she kept referring to him as an a-hole. I just don't understand the mentality of some people who can't seem to own the problem when they screw up.

She made it as far as Normal, IL on her journey from Chicago and I had to wonder how far south her original trip was planned. What a way to ruin a trip!

Aloha

I love anamals period. After reading all the comments abouts pets in this thread I wonder about those people that would subject their pet to such a strange enviroment.

Moving, Service animal aside, placing a creature in uncomfortable surrounding's for my pleasure, I just don't understand those that say they love their pet and do this.

Ok off soapbox.

Eric

Silly policy! Amtrak would have more passengers if animals were allowed, since driving seems to be the only way to move your pet with you. What about folks who dont drive? There would be a market there.

And really, what would most people prefer: a cute barking dog or an annoying crying baby?

For a price, you can fly your pet. We did it when we moved back from overseas. The dog finally forgave us.

There is nothing cute about a yapper. We have a few of these mentally retarded critters in the apartment complex we are in now. I am more inclined to want to boil the owners in oil. :angry:

Problem is, where do you draw the line?? A little yapper dog is one thing, but what about the pet owner who wants to travel with their bull mastiff, Irish wolfhound, or Saint Bernard???

Better save Amtrak headaches by not allowing ANY pets.

I think the overlooked issue is where would they "go" and how would the owner know when it was "time"?

Also, is the baggage car temperature controlled?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back