#81 Green Maned Lion

Green Maned Lion

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,304 posts
  • Interests:Sleeping

Posted 02 May 2008 - 07:23 PM

I personally think the duct-tape is silly. I think the clanking of big masses and the chattering of things is part of the experience. I'd no sooner give that up than the horn.
Travelled: Broadway Limited (1), Lake Shore Limited (6), Capitol Limited (7), Empire Builder (1), Southwest Chief (2), Sunset Limited (1), California Zephyr (3), Coast Starlight (2), Silver Meteor (5), Silver Star (5), Silver Palm (2), Crescent (1), Cardinal (4), Auto Train (4), Pennsylvanian (2), Palmetto (1), Acela Express (1), Empire Service (1), Northeast Regional (11), Keystone Service (1) --- Total Miles: 50,144 --- Total Trains: 61
Most important: Keep it Simple, Stupid!
Posted Image
Dream of love, dream of me, for you are my love. I love you.
Avatar and sig were done by my fiance, Corvidophile.

#82 PRR 60

PRR 60

Engineer

• Forum Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,085 posts

Posted 02 May 2008 - 10:45 PM

I personally think the duct-tape is silly. I think the clanking of big masses and the chattering of things is part of the experience. I'd no sooner give that up than the horn.

A couple of years ago my wife and I were on the Zephyr and the air register in the ceiling of the bedroom was blowing a hurricane of ice cold air. It could not be stopped. Some duct tape and a file folder made the room livable.

The inverter of duct tape should get the Nobel Prize.

Edited by PRR 60, 02 May 2008 - 10:45 PM.

#83 AlanB

AlanB

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,851 posts

Posted 02 May 2008 - 10:55 PM

On our trip last summer Bill; I ended up using my duct tape to help out the very nice sleeping car attendant in the 532 car where Kevin, Michael, Mike, and Lynn were. Apparently the garbage can was missing from within the area under the coffee pot. Yet people kept throwing creamers, trash, and stuff through the flap. I just happened to hear her complaining about it, and volunteered my duct tape to help her close off the flap, such that people couldn't throw stuff in there anymore.

The big problem was that the creamers and coffee would leak out onto the floor and make it slippery, not to mention a mess.

She was most appreciative of my efforts, to the point where she let my mom and I use one of the empty bedrooms on our last day of riding west to escape the heat in our sleeper the 531 car, where the AC wasn't working properly. :)
Alan,

Take care and take trains!

#84 Green Maned Lion

Green Maned Lion

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,304 posts

Posted 03 May 2008 - 09:58 PM

A couple of years ago my wife and I were on the Zephyr and the air register in the ceiling of the bedroom was blowing a hurricane of ice cold air. It could not be stopped. Some duct tape and a file folder made the room livable.

I wish it could blow such cold air for me :( *eskimo*

Point taken, though.
Travelled: Broadway Limited (1), Lake Shore Limited (6), Capitol Limited (7), Empire Builder (1), Southwest Chief (2), Sunset Limited (1), California Zephyr (3), Coast Starlight (2), Silver Meteor (5), Silver Star (5), Silver Palm (2), Crescent (1), Cardinal (4), Auto Train (4), Pennsylvanian (2), Palmetto (1), Acela Express (1), Empire Service (1), Northeast Regional (11), Keystone Service (1) --- Total Miles: 50,144 --- Total Trains: 61
Posted Image

#85 iowa train fan

iowa train fan

Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 13 June 2008 - 12:57 PM

Help please, what brand/type scanner to buy? What features do I need? I know nothing about scanners but would like to buy one for my upcoming trip on Amtrak. Does anyone have any information or a model # that I should look at. Do not want to spend more than 150-200 dollars. I would like to also be able to listen to train communications when watching or viewing passing trains. Sorry for not much knowledge, as you can see I need allot of help. I have read different sites that tell you what to look for but I respect all the information you guys give on here. Thanks in advance.

#86 Green Maned Lion

Green Maned Lion

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,304 posts

Posted 13 June 2008 - 08:37 PM

Most Scanners will do. The cheapest new scanner on ebay will probably work fine for your purposes. It did for mine.
Posted Image

#87 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 June 2008 - 09:47 PM

"I personally think the duct-tape is silly"

.... you might not if you're on the potty in a Viewliner and the door keeps sliding open due to a defective lock.

#88 Green Maned Lion

Green Maned Lion

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,304 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 04:16 PM

If I had a defective lock, I'd just tack that up as yet another reason to make the short walk to the lounge car ;)
Posted Image

#89 MStrain

MStrain

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 18 June 2008 - 11:26 AM

Our trains are held together by duct tape, file folders, putty, and determination. :o

Being young, I agree with GML...its all part of the experience (tongue in cheek and a nod towards Clark W Griswold). But I can certainly understand the point of view that it can also ruin the experience. Anyhow...

something I take along with me: a paper towel square that has been wadded up in a cigar shape and then covered with duct tape.....you can wedge this anywhere it need go and can be removed when you are done in the room. Tape shouldn't be left stuck on the equipment after all. I have made a few of these "widgets" in various sizes so they can fit almost anywhere and have never had one wobble out of place. Just a suggestion.

Edited by MStrain, 18 June 2008 - 11:28 AM.

#90 Ispolkom

Ispolkom

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,925 posts

Posted 21 September 2008 - 09:02 AM

For my last trip I picked up a Belkin mini surge protector/USB charger. It has 3 outlets and 2 USB plugs. I found it to be very handy, as we could both recharge our MP3 players while charging the cellphone. It would be even more useful if you had a laptop.

#91 Bierboy

Bierboy

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 434 posts
  • Interests:Rail travel, VW bugs, grandkids, alien abductions, navel gazing, long walks off short piers, riding tricycles...

Posted 27 October 2008 - 12:52 PM

I've had my scanner on all my trips now (maybe 10 or so now), all in sleepers and no headphones. Never got a complaint.
Scanners are a real nice to have.

I had a scanner in our bedroom on the SWC in June 07 and did get a complaint. And I didn't have it especially loud, either. So YMMV.
NP's Vista-Dome North Coast Limited in the early '60s....those were the days!

Cardinal Sleeper, CHI to WAS - July 2002
SW Chief Sleeper, GBB to LAX - June 2007
Illinois Zephyr/Empire Builder Sleeper, GBB to CHI to ESM - May 2009
California Zephyr Sleeper, GBB to EMY - October 2010
Illinois Zephyr/Empire Builder Sleeper, GBB to CHI to SEA - March 2011
Texas Eagle Sleeper (AGR), BNL to SAS - April 2013

Posted Image

#92 Bierboy

Bierboy

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 434 posts
  • Interests:Rail travel, VW bugs, grandkids, alien abductions, navel gazing, long walks off short piers, riding tricycles...

Posted 27 October 2008 - 01:00 PM

Help please, what brand/type scanner to buy? What features do I need? I know nothing about scanners but would like to buy one for my upcoming trip on Amtrak. Does anyone have any information or a model # that I should look at. Do not want to spend more than 150-200 dollars. I would like to also be able to listen to train communications when watching or viewing passing trains. Sorry for not much knowledge, as you can see I need allot of help. I have read different sites that tell you what to look for but I respect all the information you guys give on here. Thanks in advance.

I bought this one (from usascan.com) to use on our SWC trip in 2007. Worked great....
Posted Image

Edited by Bierboy, 27 October 2008 - 01:04 PM.

Posted Image

#93 PetalumaLoco

PetalumaLoco

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,001 posts
  • Interests:Photography computers motorcycles trains

Posted 06 November 2008 - 09:23 PM

I bought this one (from usascan.com) to use on our SWC trip in 2007. Worked great....
Posted Image

Yup, I just used that on the CZ, CL, LSL and NEC. Worked great. Listened to some interesting conversations on it too. It's a good unit.
Posted Image

#94 cpamtfan

cpamtfan

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 09 November 2008 - 10:24 PM

I wish it could blow such cold air for me :( *eskimo*

Point taken, though.

Same for me :P .

cpamtfan-Peter

#95 Bierboy

Bierboy

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 434 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 03:44 PM

Posted Image

Yup, I just used that on the CZ, CL, LSL and NEC. Worked great. Listened to some interesting conversations on it too. It's a good unit.

Did you use the rubber ducky antenna or a telescoping antenna? I had purchased a telescoping, but it's really awkward to use when the unit is clipped to your belt. The rubber ducky seemed to work OK for just being on the train.

Posted Image

#96 RRrich

RRrich

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,550 posts

Posted 14 January 2009 - 10:57 AM

For those who want a surge protector, Buy.com has a nice .power squib/surge protector for $10 - plug it into one of the FEW coach outlets and now you have 5 outlets. Its not small but should help and it can accommodate those fist size transformers-plugs that so many chargers have.

However I find that if I have something like this with me I get on coaches with lots of outlets :D

Time flies like an Arrow
Fruit Flies like a Banana

#97 AAARGH!

AAARGH!

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,067 posts
  • Interests:Hot Air Balloons, traveling, and of course, trains to get me there.

Posted 14 January 2009 - 12:00 PM

For those who want a surge protector, Buy.com has a nice .power squib/surge protector for $10 - plug it into one of the FEW coach outlets and now you have 5 outlets. Its not small but should help and it can accommodate those fist size transformers-plugs that so many chargers have.

However I find that if I have something like this with me I get on coaches with lots of outlets :D

I had one of these on my last trip in a roomette. A life-saver. It allowed me to plug in 5 AC adapters at once! Just for the record:

1. GPS (recharging)
2. MP3 Player (recharging)
3. Cell Phone (recharging)
4. Noise machine (makes white noise tha helps keep out the hallway noise)
5. Electric razor (recharging)
Jeff K.
Cleveland, Ohio

• Acela Express (3) | Northeast Regional (5) | Downeaster (2) | Silver Star (1) | Adirondack (2) | Vermonter (1) | Pennsylvanian (2) | Maple Leaf (1) | Empire Service (2) | Lake Shore Limited (3) | Capital Limited (2) | Cardinal (1) | Wolverine (2) | Crescent (1) | City of New Orleans (1) | California Zephyr (3) | Empire Builder (2) | Southwest Chief (1) | Texas Eagle/Sunset Limited (1) | Coast Starlight (4) | Capital Corridor (1) | Pacific Surfliner (1) | San Joaquin (3) | Cascades (2)
  • Amtrak mileage: 33,448
  • States: 45 (out of 46 that Amtrak serves)

#98 mercedeslove

mercedeslove

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 385 posts

Posted 17 January 2009 - 12:10 AM

I brought a strip on my trip last year. Came in handy. Left it there for others to use. No one stole many were glad to see it. The conductor thought "it was very sweet of me for doing that"

I knew it would help but a part of me was to lazy to take it out and put it away everytime I needed it.
Facebook

Follow me on Twitter

#99 PetalumaLoco

PetalumaLoco

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,001 posts
  • Interests:Photography computers motorcycles trains

Posted 17 January 2009 - 12:28 PM

This is the one I use, from Targus.
Posted Image

Its quite compact as you can see, only about 5" long, but the plugs are spaced so power supplies don't crowd each other.
$19 or less.

And no, I haven't discovered a perpetual energy supply.

Edited by PetalumaLoco, 17 January 2009 - 12:29 PM.

Posted Image

#100 sky12065

sky12065

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,657 posts

Posted 17 January 2009 - 01:32 PM

Has anyone ever actually seen duck tape used on a live duck? :unsure: :rolleyes:

BTW, I know that I used the term "duck" instead of duct. That is not incorrect. Read the interesting history on duct tape at http://www.ideafinde...ns/ducttape.htm.

"So much track and so little time" or is it "So much time and so little money"
33,970 Total Rail Miles Traveled To Date
- Joe S -

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users