Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

Things to take with you

• Please log in to reply
122 replies to this topic

#1 Rail Freak

Rail Freak

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,541 posts
  • Interests:Experiencing the country by RAIL!!!
    U.S. & Native American History

Posted 15 April 2008 - 03:13 PM

I read somewhere to take with you things like Windex,flash light,String/cord, pillows and other things for different reasons. Is this true? It seems I'd have to check my luggage to carry all that on board! <_<

A Rookie No More! But Still A Lot Of Track To Travel !!!
Silver Meteor #97(6) & #98 (4), Silver Star #91 (2), Capitol Limited #29 & #30(6), Empire Builder #7,#8,#27(2) &#28(4) Coast Starlight #11 (6) & #14(5), California Zephyr #5 (2) & #6 (5), Cascades #506, City of New Orleans #58, #59 (2), South West Chief #3 (4), Lake Shore Limited #49, Maple Leaf #63, San Joaquin #714, Pacific Surfliner #774, Texas Eagle #422 (2), Cardinal #50, Crescent #19, Sunset Limited #1. Approx. 60,169 miles & 41 states!

#2 saxman

saxman

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,346 posts
  • Interests:Trains, planes, maps, and music

Posted 15 April 2008 - 03:33 PM

I read somewhere to take with you things like Windex,flash light,String/cord, pillows and other things for different reasons. Is this true? It seems I'd have to check my luggage to carry all that on board! <_<

Well the windex is for the dirty windows if you want to get some good sight seeing. But usually the dirtiness is on the outside of the window. You might be popular though in the lounge car. Not sure what everything else is for. For coach I wear a hooded sweatshirt and have a eye-mask. I travel light so I just use Amtrak's pillow to sleep on. Bring all that, and you'll sleep very well.
Amtrak Miles: 203,395 (as of 9/21/16)

#3 Rail Freak

Rail Freak

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,541 posts

Posted 15 April 2008 - 03:38 PM

Well the windex is for the dirty windows if you want to get some good sight seeing. But usually the dirtiness is on the outside of the window. You might be popular though in the lounge car. Not sure what everything else is for. For coach I wear a hooded sweatshirt and have a eye-mask. I travel light so I just use Amtrak's pillow to sleep on. Bring all that, and you'll sleep very well.

Windex - outside window
flaslight - drop things on floor under bed
string - loose cabinet doors banging in the night
ETC.

Silver Meteor #97(6) & #98 (4), Silver Star #91 (2), Capitol Limited #29 & #30(6), Empire Builder #7,#8,#27(2) &#28(4) Coast Starlight #11 (6) & #14(5), California Zephyr #5 (2) & #6 (5), Cascades #506, City of New Orleans #58, #59 (2), South West Chief #3 (4), Lake Shore Limited #49, Maple Leaf #63, San Joaquin #714, Pacific Surfliner #774, Texas Eagle #422 (2), Cardinal #50, Crescent #19, Sunset Limited #1. Approx. 60,169 miles & 41 states!

#4 RRrich

RRrich

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,550 posts

Posted 15 April 2008 - 04:14 PM

Duct Tape!

Time flies like an Arrow
Fruit Flies like a Banana

#5 Rail Freak

Rail Freak

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,541 posts

Posted 15 April 2008 - 04:17 PM

Duct Tape!

:lol: BEAUTIFUL!!!

#6 amtrakwolverine

amtrakwolverine

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,082 posts
  • Interests:trains,music,guitars

Posted 15 April 2008 - 04:30 PM

Duct Tape!

the handy mans secrete weapon
<a class='bbc_url' href='<a class='bbc_url' href='http://www.avsforum....713'>MY</a>hometheater</a>

#7 Rail Freak

Rail Freak

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,541 posts

Posted 15 April 2008 - 04:39 PM

Duct Tape!

the handy mans secrete weapon

DUCT TAPE :blink:
YEAH, I could wrap one end around someting on the train, unwinding it and wrapping the other end around my waist while in the short stop stations, getting a coke. That way the train won't take off without me! :P

#8 AlanB

AlanB

Engineer

• Honored Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 29,357 posts

Posted 15 April 2008 - 04:49 PM

YEAH, I could wrap one end around someting on the train, unwinding it and wrapping the other end around my waist while in the short stop stations, getting a coke.

Speaking of coke, I hope that you like Pepsi, because Amtrak has an exclusive contract with Pepsi. You won't find any Coke products on board, unless you've brought them with you.
Alan,

Take care and take trains!

#9 the_traveler

the_traveler

Engineer

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,364 posts
  • Interests:Looking at GPS to find out where I am at!

Posted 15 April 2008 - 04:57 PM

YEAH, I could wrap one end around someting on the train, unwinding it and wrapping the other end around my waist while in the short stop stations, getting a coke.

Speaking of coke, I hope that you like Pepsi, because Amtrak has an exclusive contract with Pepsi. You won't find any Coke products on board, unless you've brought them with you.

That's why you have get off at the short stops - to get your fix! :lol: :lol:

Edited by the_traveler, 15 April 2008 - 04:58 PM.

Take it easy .......

Take the train instead and enjoy the ride!

The view is much better at 3 feet than it is at 30,000 feet!

#10 transit54

transit54

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,396 posts

Posted 15 April 2008 - 05:56 PM

I always carry a power strip with me. In part because I usually end up having way more things to plug in than outlets to do so (i.e. more than 1), and also because occasionally in coach I'll be in a car without outlets at every seat, or that I'll have a seatmate who wants to use the outlet. I've used it on a handful of times and every time other passengers were incredibly thankful I had it. (To give credit where its due, I think I got the idea from this forum)

#11 Rail Freak

Rail Freak

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,541 posts

Posted 15 April 2008 - 06:00 PM

I always carry a power strip with me. In part because I usually end up having way more things to plug in than outlets to do so (i.e. more than 1), and also because occasionally in coach I'll be in a car without outlets at every seat, or that I'll have a seatmate who wants to use the outlet. I've used it on a handful of times and every time other passengers were incredibly thankful I had it. (To give credit where its due, I think I got the idea from this forum)

GOOD THINKIN!!!

#12 RailFanLNK

RailFanLNK

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,938 posts

Posted 15 April 2008 - 06:13 PM

I bring some small rags that I have cut up and put them in a ziplock baggie. They work for either the Windex or if there's something in your room vibrating due to the speed of the train, I can stuff it in the crevice and the noise goes away. Earplugs are a must for me, so is Tylenol PM. If you have some good "downers" at home, I would bring them. Sometimes the first night I'm so "jacked" up about the trip, that I don't sleep very well. Thats what the "downers" are good for. I usually take Tylenol PM but I have with me a couple prescription type that knock me out in about 10 minutes! :P If I'm going west on the CZ, we board at 12:30am, so even if I'm tired, I have a hard time falling to sleep since I'm excited about the trip I'm taking.

I have travelled on the California Zephyr, Lakeshore Limited, Carolinian, Acela, Capital Limited, Southwest Chief, Pacific Surfliner, Missouri River Runners, Texas Eagle, Coast Starlight, Empire Builder, Hiawatha Service and the Cardinal.

#13 gswager

gswager

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,743 posts
  • Interests:mountain recreations, scuba diving, Christian,

Posted 15 April 2008 - 06:35 PM

Windex is good for within your reach when cleaning window. You can't do it on second level of Superliner. The temperature in the train are varies between cars. Some cars are freezing, some are hot (mostly sightseer lounge), and some are perfect, so you'll need a sweater.
Entire length in segments- Southwest Chief (LSV-LAX & CHI-LSV), Pacific Surfliner (SLO-LAX & LAX-SAN) & San Joaquin (Oakland stub)
Entire length, end to end- Lake Shore Limited (Boston stub) (11/09), Downeaster (11/09) & Coast Starlight (10/11)
Partial- California Zephyr (SLC-EMY), Hiawatha, Cascades (SEA-PDX) & Acela (BOS-PVD)

#14 Rail Freak

Rail Freak

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,541 posts

Posted 15 April 2008 - 06:39 PM

Windex is good for within your reach when cleaning window. You can't do it on second level of Superliner. The temperature in the train are varies between cars. Some cars are freezing, some are hot (mostly sightseer lounge), and some are perfect, so you'll need a sweater.

Thanx, being a Florida Boy, I don't think about sweaters very often. Except tonight, low 40s, what the hell, it's April!!!

#15 PerRock

PerRock

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,665 posts
  • Interests:Passenger Rail, Auran Trainz, Traveling, Graphic Design

Posted 15 April 2008 - 06:46 PM

I would add food to that list. and if you want cheap hot stuff get instant food (coffee, tea included) and a 1-cup hot water coil (get a good cup too).

peter
Given the choice; I fly Amtrak.

http://www.amtraktrainz.com

#16 Rail Freak

Rail Freak

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,541 posts

Posted 15 April 2008 - 06:54 PM

I would add food to that list. and if you want cheap hot stuff get instant food (coffee, tea included) and a 1-cup hot water coil (get a good cup too).

peter

Why food if all my meals are included, is it that bad? :o

#17 GregL

GregL

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts

Posted 15 April 2008 - 07:10 PM

I know we about got left on EB last year in western N. Dakota when I went in to the station in search of a Diet Coke. There wasn't any there either!!
GregL :lol:

#18 PerRock

PerRock

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,665 posts
  • Interests:Passenger Rail, Auran Trainz, Traveling, Graphic Design

Posted 15 April 2008 - 07:28 PM

peter

yes your meals are included but not your snacks.

peter
Given the choice; I fly Amtrak.

http://www.amtraktrainz.com

#19 Rail Freak

Rail Freak

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,541 posts

Posted 15 April 2008 - 07:38 PM

peter

yes your meals are included but not your snacks.

peter

GOTCHA! :)

#20 Rail Freak

Rail Freak

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,541 posts

Posted 15 April 2008 - 07:46 PM

I know we about got left on EB last year in western N. Dakota when I went in to the station in search of a Diet Coke. There wasn't any there either!!
GregL :lol:

Ya know, we all need to start thinking "PEPSI"
Back Me Up, Alan :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users