New to Amtrak - travel with young children

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Good Afternoon,

I am new to traveling on Amtrak in the Northeast –actually, it is the first time ever - and I have a few questions.

We are a family of 4 (2 adults / 2 children – 5yrs) traveling from BWI to Boston Back Bay. Currently, we are reserved on the 172 Regional Service (coach) Northbound and the 93 Regional Service (coach) Southbound.

My first question is how accurate is the travel time between these two stations. The website lists the duration of this service to7 hours and 15 minutes. Is this correct? Are there delays which make it longer? Also, is there any benefit with upgrading to Business class on this service? I am traveling with two young children and have heard that sometimes it is hard to get seats together in coach. I am a bit worried about this.

Also, I noticed that the Acela Express runs this same route and provides an hour savings, but costs almost $80 more! Is the Acela a better choice for traveling with young children? Are there any specials for children?

Regards,

twinmom

Twinmom,

First, take a visit over to on-track-on-line, and read over their Amtrak travel tips.

As for getting seats together -- especially on the NEC -- it's a bit of a crapshoot. Conductors do have the authority to have people move to free up seats for families to travel together... but whether you have one on your trips that will do this is another matter. My $0.02 of advice is to call Amtrak and see if they'll note your reservation that you're traveling as a family, and have that bit put on the conductor's manifest.

You may be able to find two separate pairs of seats, so the contingency plan is one adult and one kid per seat pair. Please stop by the trip reports section of this forum after your trip, and tell us how it went!

Do more homework on Acela. The $ 80.00 hike for Acela may be less that an upgrade to B/C on the regional. I am sure the Acela will be more comfortable than the regional coach. Day of the week will also effect seating. I would call Amtrak and ask about seating on Acela. Depending on height and weight coach on the regional may be uncomfortable. Hope you have a good trip either way. :)

How well behaved are your kids? There will be other people on this train, a lot of other people actually. Who won't want t deal with kids crying and screaming most of the trip because they are bored or over tired. Make sure you bring stuff for them to do or use baby benadryl. Of course you are worried about yourslef and the kids on your trip, that is to be expected, but please think of those around you as well on this trip.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Acela would not be particularly kid friendly. Its frequented by business travellers who would most likely be irked by children. I don't think the Regional have the laid-back tolerance for children that the long-haul routes have, but I'd imagine it to be more than the premium travellers on Amtrak's premiere east-coast trains.

Business class might make sense from a reservation standpoint, but once again you'd be getting in with travelers who are probably paying that extra money to avoid the "rabble", which includes children. Its a pity the overnight Federal or the Twilight Shoreliner don't run with sleepers anymore. (A train does run with the same schedule, if you think you can keep your children sleeping in coach.)

Bring plenty of games and toys. Keep in mind that there are people on trains who don't like children, atleast on the Regionals. (On Amtraks longer distance overnighters, if you don't like Children, you don't ride coach.) So keep your children in your sight. Food is a good entertainer, too. The northeast corridor trains have a decent OTP, and they don't generally run late the way some long-distance trains can. Ten hour delays are not really on the menu.

Thank you for the information regarding the on-track-on-line travel tips. Also, I was able to make a note in my reservation regarding traveling as a family - while there are no promises; it is nice to know that it will go on the conductor's manifest.

As for children, it is unfortunate that there are people who feel that the NEC is only for business travelers, and not for people with families. Funny, Amtrak reservations did not say these trains were for adults only.

I am sure that children on trains can sometimes be loud or even cry. However, throughout my years of traveling, most children that I have seen or have traveled with are more well-mannered travelers than most adults.

Please know that I am not trying to offend anyone, it is just that I could not believe that I was asked how good my children are in regards to travel. To me, it really doesn't matter since I pay the same price for their tickets/seats that everyone else does on the train. They have ever right to travel while being respectful to their surroundings.

Contrary to what others may think, there are fine parents and children who love to travel and do it well!

Regards,

twinmom

Please know that I am not trying to offend anyone, it is just that I could not believe that I was asked how good my children are in regards to travel. To me, it really doesn't matter since I pay the same price for their tickets/seats that everyone else does on the train. They have ever right to travel while being respectful to their surroundings.
Actually, you should be paying half the price for their tickets/seats as everyone else does--children under age 15 travel at 50% off (so long as there's one adult for every two children; so in your case, definitely). But I mention that only in case you missed it when booking, so you can save money which is rightfully yours.

I've never sensed any of the anti-child prejudice mentioned by others here, even on Regionals or Keystones. The Regionals are not for business passengers only by any stretch. The Acelas, though, are geared towards business travelers. And yet I have seen kids as young as perhaps ten on Acelas.

I also don't know if the childrens' fare discount exists on Acela. I wouldn't be surprised if it didn't.

Thank you for the information regarding the on-track-on-line travel tips. Also, I was able to make a note in my reservation regarding traveling as a family - while there are no promises; it is nice to know that it will go on the conductor's manifest.
As for children, it is unfortunate that there are people who feel that the NEC is only for business travelers, and not for people with families. Funny, Amtrak reservations did not say these trains were for adults only.

I am sure that children on trains can sometimes be loud or even cry. However, throughout my years of traveling, most children that I have seen or have traveled with are more well-mannered travelers than most adults.

Contrary to what others may think, there are fine parents and children who love to travel and do it well!

Regards,

twinmom
It might not matter how well behaved your kids are too you, but for the others who will be sharing the train with you it does matter. They might have mpaid more for their tickets, because that is possible. There is nothing worse than parents who don't parent and allow their young ones to do whatever under the assumption that kids will be kids and it is ok for that behavior. Of course they aren't going to say the trains are for adults only, they also don't say. 'bring yours kids and let them do whatever'. There is a fine line. When you're sitting on coach and the lady with her toddler who has been crying for four hours already isn't doing anything to shut him/her/it up....thats where it gets crossed.

I don't think your trip is an overnight trip, but that also comes into play. People would like to get some shut eye while they can and not have to listen to the pre-school magic circle hour courtesy of Amtrak and small children.

There are also people who aren't as open and accepting of children as you are. Whether it's on a train, at the movies, at Applebee's, or anywhere else in public. It's a fact you as a parent will have to learn and adapt too in certain situations and or places.

If this isn't cool with you, then renting a car and driving to your vacation destinations might be the best option until they are older.

when I was like 5 my mom took me on metra, I thought it would be cool to stand on the seat and being...i don't know how to call it. Moronic. Man my mom backhanded me. I never did that on a train, bus, plane, car or whatever again.

RE: the on time status of the trains - I see regionals at my station (KIN which is about 1 1/2 hours south of Boston). Almost all southbounds are on time in KIN. The northbounds are mainly on time, but usually within 5-15 minutes. Maybe it's different south of NY, but most of these trains are Boston to Washington. (The Acelas do not stop in KIN, but they're almost always on time.)

Almost always, I can easily find seats together when boarding in KIN, Since BBY (Back Bay) is the 2nd stop southbound, I think you will easily find seats together. Northbound, BWI is (IIRC) the third stop. I don't know the load factors south of NY (I don't travel that far usually), but I think that you should not have much trouble finding seats together. (And remember - even if you do not at first, someone is bound to depart at a station between BWI and BBY. You are not stuck in the first seat! Just remember to take your seat check above your seat!)

Regards,

twinmom
Twinmom,

I wouldn't worry too much, I see plenty of children on the trains on the corridor. I've even seen children in the business class car of the Regional trains, although it doesn't happen all that often. Probably 90% of the time the children in my opinion are behaving just fine. Yes there are a few parents that seem to think that the train crew is a baby sitting service, but most of the time that is not the case. And yes there are a few people that will just never be happy with their ride, be it kids in the car, bumps on the switches, being 5 minutes late, or whatever complaint they can think up.

I would recommend to you to make sure that you don't sit in the quiet car, as there you might get some nasty stares from your fellow passengers, and perhaps even some harsh words if your kids even open their mouths to talk in quiet tones.

But otherwise you and your kids should be just fine on the train. They may even make a friend with another child.

I'm not suggesting that your children are ruffians. I am merely suggesting they are children. I know what thats like. Not too long ago, I was a child too- I'm only 23. And I remember being a kid, doing kid things. I remember running through places screaming like a maniac, full of that un-killable enthusiasm for life that all children seem to have. God bless them for it, I wish I still had it. I remember asking all the questions that must have seemed pretty dumb, but meant the world to me at the time to know the answers. I remember pointing and gasping in awe the first time I saw _____, whatever that might be.

And I also remember the almost murderous glare I got from some people doing it, too. I remember riding up to Albany on the Empire Service and my G/F giving an equally murderous glare to some kid who wasn't particularly misbehaving or anything- just being a child. Knowing her, she probably meant it, too.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with you bringing your child aboard the Regionals, or any other Amtrak train. There are some people, not many, who completely disagree with that statement. When someone is sealed in with a child for 7 hours, and they don't like children, you can have a problem on your hand. Its somewhat unique to trains, because planes don't offer the same freedom of movement, and other methods are not as public.

Naturally, as any good parent, you keep your eye on your child. You tell them when they are acting inappropriate, and discipline them when they don't listen. I am not questioning anything about you as a parent, or your children as well-behaved examples of such. You may or may not be, they may or may not be. Wouldn't know, I've never met you or them. But making the likely assumption that you are a good parent, and your children are well behaved, my point still applies. Compared to other forms of transporation, a train requires watching your child more closely, and being more careful.

A train is very large, and offers many potential dangers for a child- they aren't child proofed. Its just a suggestion or heads up. Thats all.

Alohae

I was starting to get annoyed by the anti child comments. I glad AlanB put it in the right perspective.

My Daughter rode her first train around 4 years old, She loves rail travel. My granddaughter also rode her first train at 4. I think this picture
9320969-S.jpg
or this Picture
22151190-S.jpg
prove they love them. Evangeline Started school with the ability to count over a hundred by counting the freight cars passing the Fullerton station. Haven't the vaguest idea why but she missed the 17, 27, 117, and 127 car every time :) I may be to blame for getting both of them interested in Trains, but I started early on train watching, here is the granddaughter at the Fullerton Rail fair, her first time.
9303780-S.jpg

I Thank all the Engineers that waved and/or tooted the horn as they helped her love of traveling.

I love that last picture Eric, it's just great! :)

The proud grandpa. :)

I just wanted to take this opportunity to thank AlanB, GG-1, and the others that have helped put this into perspective. Additionally, I appreciate the tips in regards to the discounts, how many electrical outlets may be available, and other items. It is wonderful to have the opportunity get this feedback!

Usually it is only the parents of the true brats that think their kids are angels.

It never occurred to me that you were not supposed to take your kids on the train. Just be a normal good parent like you would anywhere. If they have reasonable curiosity be ready for a million questions. As Alan says, some people will be complainers in any situation.

Generally, when you see the kids on a truly long haul train, or plane either, for that matter, it is NOT a family vacation. It is a need to go from point A to point B.

I'll also mention that if your train has a lounge car (not sure if the one you are riding on does or not) that is a great place for kids in my opinion. There are usually plenty of seats, your whole family can sit at a booth together and talk without disturbing anyone, and if your kids want a snack your in the right place to buy one (amtrak rules do not allow you to consume your own food and drink in the lounge however).

If kids aren't supposed to ride the trains, no one bothered to mention that to the passengers on every single train I've ever been on! I would agree that most people in Business Class probably are not expecting children, and generally would not be happy with extra noise. However, anywhere else, except of course for the quiet car as mentioned, I don't think anyone could say anything (nor should they).

Have fun and enjoy the trip!

AlohaeI was starting to get annoyed by the anti child comments. I glad AlanB put it in the right perspective.

My Daughter rode her first train around 4 years old, She loves rail travel. My granddaughter also rode her first train at 4. I think this picture
9320969-S.jpg
or this Picture
22151190-S.jpg
prove they love them. Evangeline Started school with the ability to count over a hundred by counting the freight cars passing the Fullerton station. Haven't the vaguest idea why but she missed the 17, 27, 117, and 127 car every time :) I may be to blame for getting both of them interested in Trains, but I started early on train watching, here is the granddaughter at the Fullerton Rail fair, her first time.
9303780-S.jpg

I Thank all the Engineers that waved and/or tooted the horn as they helped her love of traveling.

Uhm why? They have just as much right to say how they feel about Children on long train trips and or the idea of small children on train trips, just as much as you have bringing them on the train. I never understood any of the whole 'my kid is great, cute, sweet, ect, and the rest of the world needs to think the same thing too if you don't you are mean, evil, ugly, ect.' It's like people who can't have children or do not want them have no rights what-so-ever simply because they don't have kids. When did we start living in a country where parents became the privileged people and the rest of us the poor saps who get hit with the short end of the stick and treated like poo simply because we do not currently have/want/or can have children. It's pretty selfish of parents for them to think like this. Ok it's really selfish and disgusting.

YES we were ALL once CHILDREN. But that line or excuse can only go so far. It's not about being anti child, it's about being sensible on a long trip and thinking about others. Like I said before, and apparently I have to say it again because it doesn't click. Parents and their kiddies are not the only people on the train. There are other people on the train as well, who you should at the slightest consider...'oh hey what about the other people on the train?' but yeah when that happens is when pigs fly.

Green Haired Lion. I would be right with your G/F and giving out those glares. Not only at the child but right at the parents, only the glare I would give to the 'rents would be a lot harsher than the one I gave to the kids. It's really not the kids fault they are wild baboon with no consideration for those around them. It's mommy and daddy. Or as my friend just called them moo and duh

"When did we start living in a country where parents became the privileged people and the rest of us the poor saps who get hit with the short end of the stick and treated like poo simply because we do not currently have/want/or can have children. It's pretty selfish of parents for them to think like this. Ok it's really selfish and disgusting."

Oh my goodness, did you first notice this now?? This has been going on for ages!

OK now to the point: many parents are used to their kids antics (I'm being kind here) and have no conception that a piercing shriek or other assorted things are going to bother someone...they're used to it, they just don't seem to realize that the rest of us are not. I've had arguments over the years with my Sister's on this very topic and believe me there is no winning. There are also those parents who just don't care and we all have to deal with them on Amtrak as well as elsewhere.

None-the-less, people have the right to travel and take their kids along...it's up to the 'rents (I like that) to prepare themselves and their kids for traveling by train. And if we can educate someone along the way who asks questions of this forum about ld train travel with kids, then I think we can be very helpful as a group...helpful to the parents, helpful to the children, and helpful to their fellow passengers!

"When did we start living in a country where parents became the privileged people and the rest of us the poor saps who get hit with the short end of the stick and treated like poo simply because we do not currently have/want/or can have children. It's pretty selfish of parents for them to think like this. Ok it's really selfish and disgusting."
Oh my goodness, did you first notice this now?? This has been going on for ages!
I was trying to live in the 'out of sight out of mind theory' but parents of today and their abundance of selfishness makes it hard too. Apparently if you don't have kids, you don't matter. Hence why those without kids continue to suffer in poverty because they don't get such nice things as food stamps, tax breaks, public aid, job help, and other such things that the over privileged parents get.

As for the rents preparing their children for such events as a trip on Amtrak ELLE OH ELLE. Fat freaking chance. They are to busy praising their precious tykes and or reading the latest issue of Oprah's magazine to bother with that. They have a uterus, a uterus which once house an off spring. They are golden and we are nothing.

and sorry Green Maned Lion. I need to brush up on my reading skills/ put my glasses on.

WOW. This topic sure did take on a life of its own. When did this forum become a place to discourge train travel by anyone? Facts are facts and the fact is that all kinds of people ride trains. GOD bless us everyone. Twinmom get on the train, be happy dont worry and have a great trip, :)

Ride the train... but not if you have children that might cry... GASP

What exactly do you suggest these parents to do if their child should cry? Stand in the vestibule? I mean I'm not exactly sure what you want. If a child makes noise the parents are bad? I'm totally not following you guys.

A crying baby is one thing, and dealing with them is not always possible. A child who is running up and down the isle whooping like an injun at 9:00 is something a parent should be properly dealing with. And I have experienced such a child last time I rode the LSL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back