Track Fire in New York Penn Station

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Viewliner

Engineer
WNBC 4, the NBC Station in New York is reporting breaking news, a track fire in New York Penn Station, with smoke conditions in one of the tunnels. They've mentioned delays of 30 minutes on LIRR and Amtrak, no mention on NJ Transit, I'll give more info as it comes. :(

This appears to be more of an LIRR issue on the tunnels headed to Queens (East River), the fire is out, just the smoke hasn't been cleared. There are some cancellations, otherwise 20-30 minute delays.

Back in the 80's it seems as though there was a track fire a week at Penn on the LIRR side. Later on I'll dig out my FDNY manual and show what a response for the smoke condition alone would be as it would be an interesting addition to the topic and something I don't believe has ever been touched upon here.

There's a special reference section in the NEC Employee Timetable, but I believe that's more for the East River Tunnels that for Penn Station itself. I'll look later tonight after I get some stuff done for school. :ph34r: :blink:

Remember though if there is a significant enough smoke condition it is going to get into the tunnel anyway.

From the FDNY Operational Reference 4th Edition:

The initial response on a report of an incident (single-source) is 1-2 Engine Companies, 1-2 Truck Companies and 1 Batallion Chief. The total response for a single source is 3 Engines, 2 Trucks and one BC. On the report of a 10-75 (working fire) the response goes to 4 Engines, 2 Trucks +FAST truck (Firefighter Assist and Rescue), 2 BC's and the First-Due Rescue (at Penn would be Rescue Co. Number 1). The Division Chief will respond at his discretion normally and is assigned should it go to an "All-Hands Box" meaning all companies are working the fire. However, as seen below he is assigned on the initial response to Penn Station.

Penn Station, Box 8171, includes a Division Chief on the initial alarm would be Division 1 (D1 is Manhattan south of 34th Street), but could be Division 3 if he is closer (D3 is Between 34th St and 125th St in Manhattan and includes GCT). In addition, a Batallion Chief is sent to the Penn Station Central Command, 9th Ave and 30th St, Box 676. Box 8550 is transmitted on request for fires in the rail tunnel from Penn Station under the East River to Queens. Manhattan dispatches two engines, two ladders and one BC to 1st Ave at 30th St, and the Queens Communications Office assigns two engines, two ladders, one rescue(Rescue 4 or if out of service the closest available Rescue), and one BC to 54th Ave and 2d St in Queens. A marine company may be dispatched depending on the situation. Operations are on the Manhattan borough channel.

This is a bit off topic and all but relates to Amtrak as this shows the FDNY response to a fire or other incident at NYP.

For all you scanner people if you want the frequencies here they are:

FDNY Citywide(good if progress reports are missed as they are repeated here): (F-1) 154.430

FDNY Queens: (F-2) 154.400

FDNY Manhattan: (F-4) 154.250

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back