140 replies to this topic

#41 Anthony

Anthony

Founder

• Honored Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,308 posts

Posted 05 July 2004 - 03:42 PM

Just a reminder to all that we are still having these chats every Sunday. :)
We are usually around from 7PM to 9PM, though if you can't make it 'til after 9, there are sometimes a few of us still lingering.

Attendance has been less than usual lately, and figured a new post in this topic might serve the chat well. :)

If anyone is having trouble with the Java chat program, you can also use any one of a number of Internet Relay Chat programs for Windows, Mac OS, or other operating systems. Here are some links:

http://www.mirc.com/
http://www.xchat.org/

The chat server is irc.amtraktrains.com and the port is 6667.
Chat room is called "#amtrak".

#42 Save Our Trains Michigan

Save Our Trains Michigan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,823 posts
  • Interests:Support Amtrak<br /><br />Director of Save Our Trains Michigan

Posted 13 July 2004 - 07:30 PM

I would be there but BNSF makes me work. :angry:
Director of Save Our Trains Michigan

http://saveourtrainsmichigan.com/

Ride and support Amtrak.

BNSF Conductor

#43 battalion51

battalion51

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,017 posts

Posted 13 July 2004 - 08:58 PM

I would but Muvico makes me work. Besides that I'll be gone to Chicago during the next two sessions.

The Chief
Rail Miles Travelled: 112,496

#44 Amfleet

Amfleet

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,089 posts
  • Interests:Amtrak, aviation transportation, other modes of transportation, things that move other things around, etc...

Posted 13 July 2004 - 09:53 PM

Call me crazy, but what if we moved the chat, just for the summer, to Saturday morning. Now that most of us are out of school we're not always bound to our house Sunday nights. I went to that chat breifly a couple times this past Sunday and it was DEAD. There were no more than two members on at one time (including myself) and I failed to see any of our regualrs (Alan, Anthony, Sean, etc).

Now I'm not saying for all of us to rise and shine at 7am, but what if we made the chat around 11am? I mean we could atleast give it a shot for one weekend and if it doesn't work, so be it.
Jon
Total Miles Traveled on Amtrak - 22,333
Amtrak in the East

#45 battalion51

battalion51

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,017 posts

Posted 13 July 2004 - 10:09 PM

That'd probably work better for me since I usually work at night when it's busy vs. mornings when it's usually dead.

The Chief
Rail Miles Travelled: 112,496

#46 AlanB

AlanB

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,848 posts

Posted 13 July 2004 - 10:46 PM

I went to that chat breifly a couple times this past Sunday and it was DEAD. There were no more than two members on at one time (including myself) and I failed to see any of our regualrs (Alan, Anthony, Sean, etc).

Well I had a very good excuse for missing chat this past Sunday night. :o

I was on the Auto Train. :) And so far at least, Amtrak isn't providing wireless internet access on that train. :(

That's also the first chat that I've missed since we started chatting on Sunday nights, normally I'm always there.
Alan,

Take care and take trains!

#47 engine999

engine999

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 674 posts

Posted 14 July 2004 - 10:49 AM

I like the idea of having the chat on sat mornings atleast for the summer.

#48 Anthony

Anthony

Founder

• Honored Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,308 posts

Posted 22 August 2004 - 05:35 PM

Well, there's a few there now. I was gone for the greater part of July and that Sunday was one I was not around. Saturday mornings would cut out anyone on the West coast, where it's three hours earlier. :)

#49 gswager

gswager

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,632 posts
  • Interests:mountain recreations, scuba diving, Christian,

Posted 12 September 2004 - 07:39 PM

I'm having trouble trying to get into the live chat. On the "loading applet" window, it says, "Invalid Bytecode". I'm using Opera and I never had trouble before.
Entire length in segments- Southwest Chief (LSV-LAX & CHI-LSV), Pacific Surfliner (SLO-LAX & LAX-SAN) & San Joaquin (Oakland stub)
Entire length, end to end- Lake Shore Limited (Boston stub) (11/09), Downeaster (11/09) & Coast Starlight (10/11)
Partial- California Zephyr (SLC-EMY), Hiawatha, Cascades (SEA-PDX) & Acela (BOS-PVD)

#50 Firebert

Firebert

Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 13 September 2004 - 05:59 PM

That's odd. It worked for me and I think I'm using the most bug-ridded version of IE that Microsoft has ever made. I can't wait for Sept. 26 when I can try out the chat at home using Safari. I have a feeling it will work much better at home than at work.
-Firebert

#51 jccollins

jccollins

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,259 posts
  • Interests:Amtrak, Grand Canyon Railway

Posted 13 September 2004 - 08:44 PM

That's odd. It worked for me and I think I'm using the most bug-ridded version of IE that Microsoft has ever made. I can't wait for Sept. 26 when I can try out the chat at home using Safari. I have a feeling it will work much better at home than at work.
-Firebert

Is Apple updating Safari on the 26th or something? Safari has its problems with quite a few things, too, and in many cases seems to be an old, outdated version of Netscape. Some system detection pages even detect it as a Netscape browser. <_<
JC Collins in Reno, Nevada.
Don't Motor! Ride Amtrak!

#52 Firebert

Firebert

Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 13 September 2004 - 11:40 PM

Is Apple updating Safari on the 26th or something?  Safari has its problems with quite a few things, too, and in many cases seems to be an old, outdated version of Netscape.  Some system detection pages even detect it as a Netscape browser.

I haven't heard any Safari update rumors. The next major update will be when Tiger hits store shelves. It's been a good browser for me since it came out. I did have some java issues with it in the beginning but they've all been hammered out. Safari is actually based on the KHTML engine found in Knoqueror on UNIX systems. It is not based on the Netscape Gecko engine.
-Firebert

Update: Just tried the chat room out with Safari. It works fine but you don't have access to the menus like on windows systems. It's a bug I can live with.

#53 GG-1

GG-1

Engineer

• Forum Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,401 posts
  • Interests:PRR GG1 and riding the rails to "see the USA in your Chev".....Train

Posted 13 October 2004 - 01:04 AM

Aloha

Last Sunday on the chat there was a discussion of Monarails, including LV's problems. If you havent seen this article Monarail shutdown you might appreciate this article

Eric

Eric aka GG-1, Aloha, Mahalo = Thanks

Picture Galleries Posted Image

#54 AlanB

AlanB

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,848 posts

Posted 13 October 2004 - 07:00 AM

GG1,

That link leads me to a website about Walt's trains, not an article on the shutdown of the LV monorail. So did you mean to post something about LV or Disney?

Additionally if one clicks through to the Disney monorail, that page does happen to mention a shutdown of the Disney monorail. However, it should be noted that this is old news. That site was last updated in 1998 and the monorail is currently operating.
Alan,

#55 GG-1

GG-1

Engineer

• Forum Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,401 posts
  • Interests:PRR GG1 and riding the rails to "see the USA in your Chev".....Train

Posted 13 October 2004 - 11:33 AM

GG1,

That link leads me to a website about Walt's trains, not an article on the shutdown of the LV monorail.

Aloha

I appoligize for my error, however I have never seen an instance where a site refers you to another site without the url adress getting changed. The refered address was from a LV paper written on Sept. 23. I found the correct url and edited the original message.

Again sorry.

#56 jccollins

jccollins

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,259 posts
  • Interests:Amtrak, Grand Canyon Railway

Posted 24 April 2005 - 05:58 PM

I tried to access the chat today but got a message that port 6667 is blocked! I called up my campus's tech support # and was told that our firewall blocks it (I am not sure why and they didn't know either). I only have internet access from on campus so I guess that means I can't chat unless there is another way around it.
:(
JC Collins in Reno, Nevada.
Don't Motor! Ride Amtrak!

#57 GG-1

GG-1

Engineer

• Forum Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,401 posts

Posted 24 July 2005 - 07:14 PM

Aloha

Tried to access the chat today, a few minutes ago but I receive a connection closed Any Idea What's up?

#58 AlanB

AlanB

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,848 posts

Posted 24 July 2005 - 07:22 PM

Aloha

Tried to access the chat today, a few minutes ago but I receive a connection closed Any Idea What's up?

Yeah, I can't get in either. I've been trying on and off since 7:00 PM EDT.

So I guess that the Live chat is Dead for this week. :lol:
Alan,

#59 GG-1

GG-1

Engineer

• Forum Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,401 posts

Posted 24 July 2005 - 07:51 PM

So I guess that the Live chat is Dead for this week. laugh.gif

Tried last week slightly after hours an got the same message. The trouble must have begun in the server overload?

#60 AlanB

AlanB

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,848 posts

Posted 24 July 2005 - 07:59 PM

So I guess that the Live chat is Dead for this week. laugh.gif

Tried last week slightly after hours an got the same message. The trouble must have begun in the server overload?

I'm not sure what happened yet. As for last week, I missed that chat session since I was busy riding trains in Dallas Tx. :D
Alan,

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users